Lag Screw/Bolt question and a cheap place to get em

This is the place where you can ask for or offer recommendations for event-related goods and services.
LeonardPotato
Burning Since: 2017

Lag Screw/Bolt question and a cheap place to get em

Postby LeonardPotato » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:24 am

Burners,

I have been reading the forums and found that most people recommend rebar or lag screws.

I recently purchased mine because I stumbled on a site that was a lot cheaper than anything else I could find. Not being too familiar with lag screw/bolts prior to this endeavor, I was surprised to find out what they were. Is the playa so hard that you can screw something into it? I bought some other tent stakes that are 6-8 inches but from what I am reading those won't do it, is this true?

So, did I make the right move in buying 3/8 hex head 12" lag screw Zink Plated?

If so, checkout wholesalebolts.com. I got 20 of them shipped for $25.

PS - I am in no way affiliated with this company, just wanted to pass along a good find.
To days of inspiration, playing hooky, making something out of nothing. The need to express, to communicate. To going against the grain, going insane, going mad. To love and tension, no pension. To more than one dimension

FIGJAM

Re: Lag Screw/Bolt question and a cheap place to get em

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:30 am

This has been the place with the best prices for a while.

http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/produ ... lag-screws
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

LeonardPotato

Postby LeonardPotato » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:24 am

FIGJAM wrote:This has been the place with the best prices for a while.

http://www.fastenersuperstore.com/produ ... lag-screws

The site I posted has 12" in a box of 10 for $5.73. I don't know if the extra 2" are crucial, but shakes out to about the same number per, and I don't need 50 of them.
To days of inspiration, playing hooky, making something out of nothing. The need to express, to communicate. To going against the grain, going insane, going mad. To love and tension, no pension. To more than one dimension

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:57 am

LeonardPotato wrote:I don't know if the extra 2" are crucial

2" doesn't seem like much, but the top 2-4" of the playa is pretty crumbly and sometimes 14" is *just* enough.
If that's the case, try a small shovel (or stout spoon) and remove the top layer of playa before setting the screw.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:00 am

Yah, 12" is not always enough. But this particular year, with all the water still heavy on the playa...I'm expecting a good hard packed crust and the stiff mud layer to be even closer to the surface! That means if we get any rain it may not soak into the playa very fast. Bring galoshes!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:13 am

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Recommendations board, since that's a better fit for threads seeking, offering, or soliciting feedback about stuff to buy.

Those might work, depending on your project. Personally I prefer 14 inch for the conduit frame structures I build. Depending on the playa conditions in a given year, the first several inches of the surface are pretty loose and crunchy.

LeonardPotato

Postby LeonardPotato » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:30 am

maladroit wrote:Yah, 12" is not always enough. But this particular year, with all the water still heavy on the playa...I'm expecting a good hard packed crust and the stiff mud layer to be even closer to the surface! That means if we get any rain it may not soak into the playa very fast. Bring galoshes!

I am just looking to maintain a tarp structure. It is 16x20 and will be tied to a car, a trailer and have 12 stakes on it. I am hoping it will be a good shade and won't be inclined to take off in those winds.

I will add galoshes to my prep list, thanks!

LeonardPotato

Postby LeonardPotato » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:33 am

trilobyte wrote:I'm giving this a nudge over to the Recommendations board, since that's a better fit for threads seeking, offering, or soliciting feedback about stuff to buy.

Those might work, depending on your project. Personally I prefer 14 inch for the conduit frame structures I build. Depending on the playa conditions in a given year, the first several inches of the surface are pretty loose and crunchy.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direct. I will have a look at the 12s and see. Hope what the other guy said about the ground is true.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:00 pm

The larger the tarp, the greater the wind resistance (ie force) pulling on the lag screws. Ground conditions vary widely from year to year. The biggest contributing factor I've found on the depth of the crust is the amount of rainfall the playa gets during the summer months - in a dry summer it could be 8-10 inches of loose pack before you get to harder/wetter stuff, though it averages 4-6 from my experience (before using lag screws I was driving 18 inch hurricane stakes into the ground).

Make sure you have plenty of rope and you should be fine. At the very worst, it's a super dry summer and so you end up needing to dig out a little of the dry crunchy crust to get deep enough with the 12 inch screws. Then you just anchor as usual (rope through one of the links of chain, then tie the guy line off to the top of the structure), and fill back in.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Postby Papa Bear » Thu May 04, 2017 9:38 am

trilobyte wrote:The biggest contributing factor I've found on the depth of the crust is the amount of rainfall the playa gets during the summer months - in a dry summer it could be 8-10 inches of loose pack before you get to harder/wetter stuff, though it averages 4-6 from my experience (before using lag screws I was driving 18 inch hurricane stakes into the ground).

I think it also varies from spot to spot around the playa. I split my build week a few years ago helping build two different camps about 3 hours apart (not something I recommend, by the way), and the hard pack seemed to be down several inches deeper in one than in the other.

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Postby JayBobBoy » Fri May 05, 2017 9:49 am

12 inchers are a little short (that's what she said) for the playa but like the others said, remove a bit of the top layer before screwing them down and you'll be fine.

Here's your next step...Go to the big box warehouse store of your choice and have them cut 2 to 4 link sections of chain for each lag screw. The head of the bolt should be large enough to hold the chain link so when you screw it in the chain will ll stick out of the dust and you'll have something to hook onto.

I use this system with ratchet straps for my shade structure and it has been bulletproof...so far.

Lag screws are great, but remember to carefully mark the location of each one you put in the ground. They can sometimes get buried during the week and can be easy to forget when packing up!

Good on you for doing your homework! You are doing it right!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Fri May 05, 2017 8:44 pm

PapaBear, I'm confused.
I think it also varies from spot to spot around the playa. I split my build week a few years ago helping build two different camps about 3 hours apart
What was 3 hours apart. You mean your break/resting time between appointments? Certainly not the riding time between the two camps. The whole event isn't that big.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Postby Papa Bear » Fri May 05, 2017 8:49 pm

Ratty wrote:PapaBear, I'm confused.
I think it also varies from spot to spot around the playa. I split my build week a few years ago helping build two different camps about 3 hours apart
What was 3 hours apart. You mean your break/resting time between appointments? Certainly not the riding time between the two camps. The whole event isn't that big.

3 hours in terms of radial street names. One cap was at 4:30 & E, the other at 7:30 & F (-ish).

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Fri May 05, 2017 8:52 pm

Oh. Thanks. I never would have figured that out. I usually head down to 'C' and cut across and back up. It's less tedious. Thanks again.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Return to “Recommendations”