Cheap dry ice in Reno?

This is the place where you can ask for or offer recommendations for event-related goods and services.
Wookiewhit
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: KashyyyK

Cheap dry ice in Reno?

Postby Wookiewhit » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:23 pm

Hey everyone!
I'm going to attempt to keep some things frozen until mid week to serve at my camp's Bodega. I've read up on the dry ice topic boards already and I think I have a solid plan of attack.
My issue is that I will be heading to Reno wednesdag before gates and to playa for early arrival on Friday. Does anyone know of a good dry ice place in or near Reno that won't charge an arm and a leg so I can re-up on my dry ice right before heading out to playa?
Any more tips on keeping my stuff frozen until Wednesday or Thursday of Burn week, or any snarky comments are greatly appreciated!
Love

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Cheap dry ice in Reno?

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:51 pm

Crystal Ice inReno on 4th St, 89503. I think they open at. 7 am and have extended hours during/before burn week.

They make it ther, I don't think youcould find better prices. They are also the vender for the event
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Thecatman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:05 am

What lucky said. They're about 1/2 mile west of Keystone Ave on the right or north side of 4th St. Maybe not even 1/2 mile. You could google map it

Most Raleys stores sell it but they are very limited, you'll pay super list plus ten and they probably get from Crystal Ice anyway
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

silvergirl70
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace for 2017.

Postby silvergirl70 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:51 pm

You probably read tips on the dry ice forum. Last year (my second burn), we kept food pretty much frozen with dry ice from Sat thru Thurs. Not bad.
We pre-made meals for eating and flat-froze the meals in quart freezer Ziplocs. Having the food pre-frozen helped. We also flat-froze fruit smoothies (some with protein powder,ginger etc). So amazing mid week.
For 2 people were using about a 50Q cooler, average brand, and bought a 20lb block of dry ice in LA on Sat AM. It was about the size of a small phone book. Pellets would just sublimate faster. Buy by the block. We lined the bottom of the cooler with cardboard, and put a piece of cardboard above the ice so that the food bags weren't touching it directly.
Then we stacked the flat frozen food bags on top, in order that we thought we would use them, labeled with sharpie marker (favorite invention of all time).
During the drive from LA, we kept the back of the van vented so as to not potentially gas ourselves out with CO2. Maybe it was overkill, but safety third, right?
This cooler was opened only briefly 1-2 times per day to quick grab what we needed. I think that's what helped keep it cold for most of the week. We kept it in the shade and off the playa directly on boards.
As the space in the cooler increased, we added cold plastic water bottles to freeze them and keep other things cold later.
Towards the end as the dry ice was gone we just kept the food on ice from Arctica.
Don't mix wet stuff with dry ice. (Think about science experiments and fake fog).
I think that if we had one of those fancy marine coolers the dry ice would last the entire burn.
I may also buy dry ice closer to the event so as to not freak myself out with thoughts of CO2 narcosis.
Oh...and if you freeze grapes, the CO2 makes the grapes, well, carbonated. It is weird, but interesting.
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Thecatman » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:37 pm

There are cautions to be heeded when dealing with dry ice. In 2009 while sleeping in the back of my truck, a can of orange crush soda exploded. I thought somebody hit my truck with their bike.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Postby spacetime » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:24 am

Tried dry ice last year. Never again! I've heard it can work out if you do it just right but we decided it is not worth it. Have also heard good things about Crystal Ice. Good luck!

Return to “Recommendations”