Insert YOUR CITY'S playawear shopping recommendations!

This is the place where you can ask for or offer recommendations for event-related goods and services.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Insert YOUR CITY'S playawear shopping recommendations!

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:18 am

Okay, first off.... it should be noted that Burning Man is a culture of makers, DIY experts and enthusiasts, and creative/expressive types. If you can make yourself an outfit, or a part of an outfit.... THAT IS AWESOME and WE CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT! If you can upcycle or repurpose something normal into something playariffic... ALSO AWESOME!

Many new and returning burners, however, need some guidance. They might be lacking in skills, equipment, confidence, or time (it's mid-July, after all). Deep down inside they are creative and expressive types who are looking to find fun, functional, and funky stuff to wear on the playa. Help them avoid making mistakes (chain stores, low quality halloween costume joints, feather boas... you know the drill), and help point them in the right direction.

Please post a reply below with your recommendation. Your post should have three, or possibly four things:
  1. The city
  2. The name of the place (please, no chain stores)
  3. Why you recommend it
  4. If you have a connection to that business, please disclose that (it's okay, just be upfront about it)

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Insert YOUR CITY'S playawear shopping recommendations!

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:23 pm

I don’t have any personal connection with any of these businesses.

Seattle

Seattle Art and Antiques
5790 Airport Way S
kyotoartandantiques.com
This store is only open 2 weeks twice a year. Plan ahead for next year. They announce the dates on their website. They are a wholesale importer from Asia. Great selection of kimonos and fabric.

Portland

BACON https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChunkyBacon/ is the Portland Burner group that allows buy and sell. You will find clothing and other items useful to burners here, including individual burner crafted items. Burner garage sales are also listed.

Metro Boutique
3525 SE Hawthorne Blvd
Close out back room costume, cluby clothing, I've found many burning hits here. Goth and cosplay clothing, footwear, jewelry and accessories.
Owner Helen supports burner events

Wells and Verne
734 E Burnside
wellsandverne.com
This is Portland’s steampunk and goth store. Much of the clothing and accessories is made by individual Portland makers.

Helen's Pacific Costumers
7501 NE Glisan
This is a long running costume rental store. They are closing at the end of August, so maybe will have items for sale, or some broken costumes to mix up?

Sock Dreams
8005 SE 13th
sockdreams.com
This is the in-person store, they have a huge online business. Do they have socks? yes, and colorful.

Cargo Importers
81 SE Yamhill
cargoinc.com
Kimonos & embroidered quilted jackets. Strands of inexpensive chunky beads and accessories. Parasols.

Gold Door
1434 SE 37th
thegolddoor.com
Large selection of tribal jewelry from Central Asia, India, Africa and more. Tribal artifacts.

Spartacus
300 SW 12th
spartacusretail.com
Spartacus is a locally-owned adult store with in-house leather manufacturing. They have clothing that would work for burners at reasonable prices.

Goorin Bros. Hats
808 NW 23rd
goorin.com
Goorin has a huge selection.

Portland Outdoor Store
304 SW 3rd
Portlandoutdoorstore.us
This is an ancient Portland Western wear store, hats, clothing and boots. Classic.

Wigland
1101 NE Broadway
Many costume stores have wigs. Wigland has normal wigs and more of the costume wigs. They can advise how to care for your wigs.

Vintage Jewelry and Accessories, higher quality, large selection or more unique and funky:
Red Light - SE Hawthorne
Hattie's - NE Burnside
Avalon - NE Sandy
3 Monkeys - NW 23rd
Avalon - NE Sandy
Ray’s Ragtime - NE Sandy
Avant Garden - SE Stark
Magpie - SE Hawthorne
Hollywood Vintage - NE Sandy

and

Fabric Depot
700 SE 122nd Ave
fabricdepot.com
This is Portland’s fabric and notions superstore. Retail and online. They have significant sales announced on their website and occasional closeouts on tables set up outside. If you sew you know them. Many burners shop here and because they have a large selection of faux fur.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:34 pm

A couple of places I frequent in the SF bay area are,

East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse
Telegraph Ave
Oakland in the Temescal district
It' always an amazing array of fabrics, trims, threads, buttons etc...
It's not a sewing store. they have everything you need to create art, jewelry or just plain weird collectibles. All used or new old stock donated by manufacturers. I'm not connected to them but I have volunteered there in the past. It's a non-profit.

Berkeley Hat
Also on Telegraph in Berkeley
They have a lot more than hats of all descriptions. Other necessary costume pieces like furry wraps, goggles, sunglasses etc...I'm not connected to them either. I have held Burner sales in front of their store in the past.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:47 pm

Salt Lake City ... iconoCLAD, a resale and consignment shop, which also carries locally made clothing and accessories. Burner owned.

Also Dancing Cranes, an import shop with all sorts of lovely things.

Y'all can google the addys as well as I can.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:28 pm

STORE1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:04 pm

Reno
Poly Esther's
Melting Pot
Junkee's
All three can be found on s. Virginia St in the district known as Midtown. They are within walking distance of each other.

Savers, both Reno & Sparks
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

caffeineslinger
Burning Since: 2003

Postby caffeineslinger » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:06 pm

Reno

Junkee Clothing Exchange at 960 S Virginia Street.

They've got tons of great stuff, they're very burner friendly, and they can help dress you if you need it.

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:34 pm

"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:19 pm

For burners traveling through San Francisco and shopping in the upper Haight (Haight/Ashbury neighborhood), I have a couple recommendations....

First up, Distractions (1552 Haight)
Way back in the day it was a head shop that also was where you could buy a Burning Man ticket in person. These days, the business has transmogrified itself into a steampunk, western, gothic clothes shop.... with a head shop in the back. They're not cheap, but they have an abundance of awesome stuff. At various times of year you can find deals on closeouts, but in the runup to Burning Man I'm sure they're harder to come by. I also like that they tend to stock a wider range of sizes - if you don't see it in your size, ask - they probably keep it in the back. Unless they're busy, the staff are usually helpful if all you have is an idea of the kind of thing you're looking for.

Second up, Piedmont (1452 Haight)
This one is super easy to find, look for the giant leg sticking out of the building up above it. This place has a mix of inexpensive and spendy, and it's absolutely outlandish. Fun weird and often wtf, they have tights, tutus, vests, wigs, masks, and all sorts of other nonsense. If you go in with a little lead-time, they can also custom-make whatever you want to your measurements with the materials of your choice and ship it to you. You might think this place was tailor-made for Burning Man, but it's more like it's tailor-made for San Francisco.... we have a lot of fun weird wtf people in the bay area. Keeping that in mind, remember that all their stuff is not playa friendly (just say no to feather boas).

Third up, Cal Surplus (1541 Haight)
Across the street from the other two, this is an army surplus store. You can get bandanas, hats, assorted oddball pieces, military surplus dust goggles (one size fits all, they fit over most prescription eyewear, and have swappable clear/tinted lenses), and other oddball bits and pieces that could come in handy. Some of the bags and belt packs could be great for your camera gear or personal stuff, you could also use your imagination and quickly add some fabric or paint to something military to turn it into arty and unique.

I don't have any connection to any of those places, other than having bought a few things myself from them over the years.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:42 pm

I left out, but since Trilo added.
Portland

Andy and Bax
324 SE Grand
http://www.andyandbax.com/
Military and outdoor surplus which caters to burners. Good for goggles, tent stakes, water containers, packs-duffels and plenty of weird. My first zone trip, my BM spirit guide took me there: "you will need this, and you will need that." Still have those items!

Next Adventure
426 SE Grand
https://nextadventure.net/
2 blocks from Andy and Bax, it is good for camping equipment - stoves, lighting, closeout clothing, and has a very reasonably priced used department downstairs. They buy used, store credit, washed of playa dust!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

JenyBe
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby JenyBe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:25 pm

I live in Seattle and I will post a couple of things locally. I want to share one online store with you that I love.

They make everything to order. You can order for petite, plus size, big and tall - you name it! I am not affiliated with them, but they have been really good to me. Something didn't fit quite right and they made it again and shipped them back fast. They are sewing everything here in the states.

https://coquetryclothing.com

Shiny and sparkly almost everything they make is out of Spandex. Dragon hoodies, Skater dresses -
10 bucks to add pockets! Arm warmers, booty shorts, pixie skirts leggings and more. UV reactive fabric available!

Order with your own body measurements. They create it in 4-5 days, and then ship it. You can afford to order and get it 10 days later. The point is that you are still able to order today and get it prior to the burn, depending on your travel plans and set up arrival.

Seattle:

Mishu
Want to buy playa pockets in person? Cool vests, beautiful hippy yoga pants, functional and lightweight dresses. Last year they had face scarves/masks on sale for cheap the week prior to the burn.
321 Broadway E. Seattle, WA 98103 206-812-0415
2928 Rucker Ave. Everett, WA 98201 425-357-3110

Goodwill Outlet Store!
I have had great luck at the Goodwill Outlet Store. The trick is that it's the Outlet store - not the regular goodwill store. It's in SoDo in Seattle. Purchase by the pound. It's crazy cheap. Like 1.50 a pound. A fantastic place for fabric! It's chaotic and no returns.
Google it for hours, address and details.

2 Big Blondes
Plus size women's and men's consignment store.
I love this store. They sell mostly women's clothing and guess what? Plus size women's clothes fit men and is interesting and fun. They make women's clothing in a much wider range of designs than men's. My guy friends all finds cool stuff here! Great sale room in the back. Second hand is high quality because it's a consignment store. So everything is in good shape. Sun hats, pajamas, costumes, evening wear, suit jackets, coats, swim suit cover ups, scarves, etc.
2501 S Jackson St, Seattle, WA 98144

Seattle El Wire is great too. Google it.
Tons of socks, clean underwear and a warm coat matter the most for having a good burn for me. Plus, light it up!

Have fun!

Return to “Recommendations”