Last minute decision- bike rental OR purchase?

This is the place where you can ask for or offer recommendations for event-related goods and services.
prashant
Burning Since: 2017

Last minute decision- bike rental OR purchase?

Postby prashant » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:18 pm

Hello all,

Looking for a bike. I'm virgin burner from abroad (far far away). Looking for a bike to rent.

Rental option

Question : Where should i look for a reasonably* priced bike on rent. *Reasonably - As it's last minute so i know i wouldn't get the cheapest one

Question : What should be a rental price i should be prepared to pay for a bike

Buying option

Question: From what i have gathered through posts here on the forum - SaveMart, Reno is probably the cheapest bet?

Question: I would prefer to recover some money on re-sale if bike (including add ons like spare innertube etc) is more than 60-70 dollars. What would be advisable route for re-sale?

p.s. I would have 2 more questions seperately raised regarding a) Water hauling on burner bus and b) a ride share request from Reno to playa. If you like the quality of my question and have advice on these, please do spare a minute more and share your advice on those too.

Big hug

Cheers
Prashant

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Last minute decision- bike rental OR purchase?

Postby Ratty » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:53 am

I don't know how much it costs to rent a bike. To buy one would be over $100. You chance of reselling it is slim. There are probably 20,000 unwanted bikes around after the burn. You can buy water on the playa IN ADVANCE if you ride the burner bus. You must bring your own containers. Get the details from the burner express people. You also mention a rideshare request. If you don't have a burner express ticket contact them to see if it's too late.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:46 am

You're not going to find a place to rent a bike in Reno, so expect to buy one.

Even then, all the cheapest ones may be already sold, so you might get stuck with a relatively expensive bike because everyone else will have the same idea as you in buying a bike last minute.

Don't expect to be able to sell the bike and recoup your money. Nobody wants a dusty bike that went to Burning Man after the event. However, if you somehow manage to snag a Huffy Cranbrook bike, you can donate it to the Burning Man yellow bike program at the event when you're done.

Oh yeah, YOU NEED TO BUY A BIKE LOCK!

Do not forget your bike lock. People steal bikes at Burning Man, especially if they're generic looking bikes. Always lock it up.

Get some lights for your bike too. Decorative lights, not just a headlight. You don't want to drive around in the dark with no lights.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013

Postby Popeye » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:45 am

The 17th is the last day to reserve a bus ticket either way. Some busses have already filled up. Think about time zones if you wait until the last minute. You wil be really lucky to get a ride with all your stuff and you won't be able to buy water from BXB if you don't take the bus.
You won't find a rental bike, it's to late.
Cheapest place to buy a bike is probably WalMart, figure $80-150.00, plus lights plus spare parts. SavMart has better quality food at about the same price.
Don't haul water on the bus except enough to get you through the first day, buy from BXB and pick up on playa. You will need to bring your own containers. The cost of bringing hard side containers on the bus is the same as luggage. Find something collapseable and be gentle with it.

Best option is arive early, buy bike and stuff from Wally World, take the bus in and out and buy their water. Yes this does mean a hotel and cabs.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:16 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Recommendations board, since that's a better fit for commerce-focused 'what do I buy/rent' threads seeking recommendations.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Goldies

Postby Zubeneschamali » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:06 am

I've seen rentals ranging from $50 to $200 for the week. The closer you get to on-playa service, the more you pay. Check the Reddit and Facebook pages for last minute deals and contact info.

Yeah its close but they get last minute cancellations. The shipping containers are packed so they're looking to move the fleet no matter what.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Postby Jovankat » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:24 am

There's someone on Reddit wanting to on-sell a cheap reservation for a rental bike that they can no longer use. She's a regular poster there and if I needed a bike I'd trust her on this offer.

Return to “Recommendations”