Thoughts on a Coleman Instant Cabin 6 Tent

This is the place where you can ask for or offer recommendations for event-related goods and services.
Leo
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Go the F**k to Sleep

Thoughts on a Coleman Instant Cabin 6 Tent

Post by Leo » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:59 pm

Looking for a tent for this year's burn. While the Springbar and Kodiak tents appear to be the "gold standard" for playa tents, I'm not sure about spending $500.00+ for a tent that is only going to be used once a year. The Coleman Instant Cabin 6 looks like a possible lower cost alternative to the Springbar and Kodiak. It has an external frame, screened windows that can be zippered shut, and one roof vent that could be sewn or velcro closed. Any thoughts?
Best Regards,
Leo

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Thoughts on a Coleman Instant Cabin 6 Tent

Post by Ratty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:26 pm

If you can get a look at it online or in person you can tell if it'll work. External poles or fiberglass poles with a place to attach ropes or straps. Peg it down securely and rope it on each side to rebar or lags. You'll be fine. Maybe. My tent is a few years old. I replaced the fiberglass rods when they got so split that I couldn't tape em back together. I miss my cotton tent that was a bugger to set up. It had real poles.

My camp mate can't attach ropes to her tent poles. The external fiberglass poles are all in sleeves. She sets it up between the shade structure and a vehicle. She ropes the tabs provided on the outside of the tent to the shade and 2 wheels of the vehicle. It's worked fine for 4 or 5 years.

A quick google of 'setting up tents in the wind' will give you some food for thought.
Last edited by Ratty on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:34 pm

Leo wrote: Any thoughts?
Hard to know. Coleman has made some great playa tents, I've used one Coleman model (which I won't name as the newest version is insanely bad for the playa) for 17 burns. HOWEVER, the poles were steel and strong. The poles in the model you mention, especially the upper ones, look like some I've seen in kites. Try to imagine the playa wind hitting the front of that tent at 40mph, to be conservative of what one can expect out there. How would it bend? Would those guy lines help or hinder it's flexibility? No way to know. If you go with that, be sure to buy extra legs on the Coleman site.

https://www.coleman.com/coleman-6-perso ... 15606.html

DoctorIknow

Post by DoctorIknow » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:39 pm

Ratty wrote:She sets it up between the shade structure and a vehicle.
BINGO!
If you are absolutely sure you can get two cars, or better yet, vans, on both sides of the tent, you got it made.
Toss a tarp over the vans, tie the tarp lines (get 100' roll of paracord) to the wheels of the vans, and you have an A-1 virgin burner setup :D

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:47 pm

Leo, take the time to set up your tent, pin some nylon fabric over the vent and sew it in place on a sewing machine. Then cut off the extra fabric. You won't regret it. don't bother with glue or velcro. Been there....
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

DoctorIknow

Post by DoctorIknow » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:09 pm

Ratty wrote:don't bother with glue or velcro. Been there....
There is a Velco product, "Fusion," in fabric stores, amazon,,,,, they change the name around depending on the vendor...just look for the brand name Velcro and "heat" to be on the same packaging.

You iron it on.
I've sealed my tent windows (on the inside) with it and it's held up for at least 6 burns.
I know, I can't believe it myself.

Make your nylon super clean, put the iron on hot (see instructions...make a test, also) use a buffer material so glue coming out the sides doesn't mess up the iron, press the iron hard for a time you have to figure out yourself...probably 10 seconds. Obviously, don't test the bond immediately. If it isn't bonded once it cools down, you didn't melt the glue. You'll get the hang of it soon.

BUT, I wouldn't suggest in unjoining the vent covering from the tent out on the playa, as there will be a lot of dust accumulated falling into the tent.

Leo

Post by Leo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:47 am

After reading tent reviews on Amazon and Cabelas, I'm going to get a Kodiak tent for the playa. Thanks for all of your feedback!
Best Regards,
Leo

cranberries
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Hibernaculum

Post by cranberries » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:00 pm

Looks like I came to this thread too late... but for others who might read or search, I have a Coleman Instant Cabin and I love it for the burn. I set it up with my car as a partial shade/windbreak, stake it down with heavy duty aluminum tent pegs, put a piece of 14x20 aluminet over it, and tie that down with paracord through the grommets and bent rebar. I have put it up by myself in under 5 minutes in the dark and in the wind, and that in itself was a huge selling point for me. And it's lightweight and easy for me to clean by hosing it down in my backyard.

DeGracht
Burning Since: 2020

Post by DeGracht » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:30 pm

The signal mountain instant 6 worked perfectly for us. No mesh. And coleman claims it can hold 60mph winds.
Together with a monkey hut facing east/west I could take a nap during daytime this hot Burn.
Filled with gear and tighted to the rebar of the monkeyhut the tent goes nowhere :-)

DeGracht

Post by DeGracht » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:37 pm

A273253C-CA10-4CCB-B550-38DF34B8CB05.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

claybcook
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by claybcook » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:01 am

Ditto. Coleman Instant 6 inside the Monkey Hut was fine. There is one small patch of mesh directly across from the entry door which couldn't be zipped closed, so it was hot glued closed. Otherwise great. One burn down and coming back in '18.
...extremely gruntled...very ept and full of ruth.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:11 pm

I use the Instant 4 dome tent for normal camping and for a quick tent to use on the first and/or last nights at the burn, when all the heavy duty setup is packed away. They take up very little space and are some form of shelter, you can pitch it and be sleeping within 5 minutes. I wouldn't leave it set up in camp all week though.

Leo

Post by Leo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:27 pm

In doing research on tents, I checked out the reviews on the Amazon and Cabela's website. It appears that the quality control of Coleman tents is random at best. Some folks swear by them while others swear at them. Considering a tent will be my home for 8 days in the extreme environment of the playa, I figured that it wasn't worth the risk of saving a few bucks on a tent, only to have a failure due to a snapped fiberglass pole or a hub connection break. I ended up buying a Kodiak tent and figure that the price difference is cheap insurance.
Best Regards,
Leo

DeGracht

Post by DeGracht » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:04 am

It was cheaper to buy 3 Coleman signal mountain tents instead of 1 Kodiak. And 3 Colemans still weigh less than 1 Kodiak.
And setting up 3 Coleman's is faster than one Kodiak :-)

If you want insurance, don't go. You can get killed out there :lol:

Leo

Post by Leo » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:07 am

DeGracht, cranberries, and claybcook,
Glad to hear that Coleman tents have worked for all of you. I was fortunate to find the Kodiak 10' x 10' on sale at Cabelas, so that was the tipping point. Now I need to figure out a shade structure for this monster. Thanks everyone for your feedback.
Best Regards,
Leo

DeGracht

Post by DeGracht » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:56 am

@leo
Everything you want to know about shading a kodiak is here in this forum.
Good luck with practising radical sef reliance. Xxx

Leo

Post by Leo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:38 am

I'm in the process of designing a shelter with 1" EMT, a reflective tarp, and numerous ratchet straps.
Best Regards,
Leo

NikonKing
Burning Since: 2018

Post by NikonKing » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 am

cranberries wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:00 pm
Looks like I came to this thread too late... but for others who might read or search, I have a Coleman Instant Cabin and I love it for the burn. I set it up with my car as a partial shade/windbreak, stake it down with heavy duty aluminum tent pegs, put a piece of 14x20 aluminet over it, and tie that down with paracord through the grommets and bent rebar. I have put it up by myself in under 5 minutes in the dark and in the wind, and that in itself was a huge selling point for me. And it's lightweight and easy for me to clean by hosing it down in my backyard.
Hi Cranberries,

Thanks for this. I think this is the route I'm going, but I wanted to hear more about how you shaded it with the aluminet. Can I PM you?

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:14 am

Giving this a belated nudge over to the recommendations board, since it's seeking thoughts/recommendations about a commercial product.

Return to “Recommendations”