Hexayurt- recommended AC unit and Generator?

This is the place where you can ask for or offer recommendations for event-related goods and services.
baumgal
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Smiley Grrrlz

Hexayurt- recommended AC unit and Generator?

Post by baumgal » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:28 am

Hiya- I am looking to cool our hexayurt this year with an AC. I have tried a swamp cooler before and it just didn't cut it for me. I really need some daytime AC to be my best self on the playa so I have decided to invest in AC/generator this year. Bonus if it can provide some charging power to our camp.

That said, I am having trouble finding what works best for a hexayurt. I am thinking a 5,000 or 6,000 BTU will be enough to cool it. What is unclear to me is:
(1) if a portable AC is better (seems lots of vent issues to deal with?) or a window AC?
(2) if a Honda2000i 2,000 watt generator can power the 5 or 6,000 BTU AC?

Anyone have any best practice here from experience? All advice is most appreciated! We are getting close! THANKSSSSSS!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Hexayurt- recommended AC unit and Generator?

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:59 am

You’ll want more power... 10 - 12k BTU. 5000 BTU ACs are pretty weak and you won’t have much insulation, it’s gonna have to really put out. It’d be better than nothing though.
The portable ones don’t have “vent issues”, there’s just a hose that needs to go outside. You have to get the cold air from a window unit in anyway, I think just a hose that the unit already comes with would be easier.
Those big portables are really heavy.

The little Honda has been upgraded, it’s now the EU2200, has a little more oomph.
I have Hondas and a 10k (maybe it’s 12 I forget) portable at home, maybe I’ll try it out.

BUT... remember the playa is almost a mile high and generators lose power up there, what works closer to sea level sometimes doesn’t up on Black Rock Desert.

The razz setup is two Hondas, they’ll easily run the AC, and the extra benefit is two will run slow and easy under that load, instead of throttled up and running hard like one will by itself. Two barely above idle is more pleasant to listen to.
I mean hey, what’s an extra $1000...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Hexayurt- recommended AC unit and Generator?

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:26 am

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Recommendations board, since that's a better fit for a thread seeking recommendations.

Return to “Recommendations”