Fundraiser: Temple of Promise

Find out more about projects that need your help, and how you can show them support. Please note: only on-playa projects may be listed.
EnergyFiend
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Ministry of Numbers

Fundraiser: Temple of Promise

Post by EnergyFiend » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:04 am

This year's Burning Man temple, The Temple of Promise, will be a completely unique and organic temple experience. Check out the design images on our webpage here: http://templeofpromise.org/

It is both humbling and gratifying to be involved in a project that will touch so many lives. However, it is undeniably also incredibly expensive. The Temple of Promise needs help from the Burning Man community to raise the funds necessary. Even $2 will buy us one more much-need clamp, so please donate if you can! Our IndieGoGo Campaign: http://igg.me/at/templeofpromise/x/467125

Also, if you are in the Bay Area, help us build it!! We are now going 7 days a week, noon - 9pm, at our build space in Alameda, CA. We are also doing CNC and welding work in Oakland, if you have experience. There is a wide range of woodwork for everyone in Alameda, even if you have absolutely no experience with building. Volunteering info can be found on the main webpage and on the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/templeofpromise

The magic is built through the sweat and tears of volunteers. <3
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." ~Jimi Hendrix

torrey.smith
Camp Name: Sextant

Re: Temple of Promise

Post by torrey.smith » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:07 am

We had a great build yesterday!

We're training up a team of people to become CNC experts for all the routing.

Let's Build This City!!!
Sarge

Super Suz

Re: Fundraiser: Temple of Promise

Post by Super Suz » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:35 pm

Another great build day! The build site is really geared up and ready to go with work stations and even brooms for sweepers. It was a great vibe today. The site is open from noon to 9pm, sometimes 10PM so come on down.
Too many costumes!

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:53 am

Super Suz wrote:Another great build day! The build site is really geared up and ready to go with work stations and even brooms for sweepers. It was a great vibe today. The site is open from noon to 9pm, sometimes 10PM so come on down.
I gather, then, that there are ways to help for those of us who have no particular construction skill, even if it's just sweeping up?

EnergyFiend

Post by EnergyFiend » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:16 am

Oh, don't worry, those without experience are the integral team of people building the perimeter, which will be several sizes of boulders made out of curved wood. We are bending, gluing, and clamping wood all day, every day - and you can learn that in just a few minutes. There's even now a video on the facebook page (in my first post up there), if you'd like to see!

Of course, those still there at the end of the day do have a lot of sawdust to sweep up, but everyone pitches in - I've even seen the designer sweeping.
DrYes wrote:
Super Suz wrote:Another great build day! The build site is really geared up and ready to go with work stations and even brooms for sweepers. It was a great vibe today. The site is open from noon to 9pm, sometimes 10PM so come on down.
I gather, then, that there are ways to help for those of us who have no particular construction skill, even if it's just sweeping up?
And just a little reminder, our IndieGoGo campaign is in its last hours and we're so close! Please, everyone, help us get that last 6% and see this amazing structure meet its potential. <3 http://igg.me/at/templeofpromise/x/467125 <--- new build video and picture updates on there as well!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." ~Jimi Hendrix

EnergyFiend

Post by EnergyFiend » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:39 pm

Our crew has made incredible progress on the build and we are on schedule to finish construction, but we still need more funds.
We now have TWO fundraisers going on to help raise those last badly needed dollars.

The main way you can help is to please visit our IndieGoGo page: http://igg.me/at/templeofpromise2

♥ )’( ♥

If you are Bay Area local, please also join us for our 2nd Airpusher fundraiser party for the Temple of Promise!

A Night with the Temple 2
When: Friday, July 31, 10pm - 6am (21+)
Where: The Endup - 401 6th St, San Francisco, California 94103
Tickets: Earlybird $10 - https://ticketbud.com/events/87485f94-2 ... b93f57dce2

Come have some fun with us and show our support for this year's hard working Temple builders! Get out your favorite playa-wear and gather your crew to head over to the The End Up for an evening of community, dancing, and Temple love!

♥ )’( Featuring )’( ♥

MARK SLEE (listed) - Extended 3 Hour Set
https://soundcloud.com/mcslee

PAUL SAWYER (UK)
https://soundcloud.com/paul-soultrak-sawyer

JON BARNES (Airpusher)
http://soundcloud.com/jonbarnes

♥ )’( ♥

The Temple is only partially funded by a grant from Burning Man: the rest comes from us!

If you can't make it out for the Airpusher party, we're still looking for volunteers to help us build the Temple in Alamada!
Show up any time, no experience needed. Details on: http://templeofpromise.org/

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:43 pm

I also want to add that if anyone would like to donate more than $1000 directly to the Temple, it's tax deductible. If you, or your camp, would like to talk about making that kind (or more) substantial gift, please get in touch with me: matt@templeofpromise.org. There are opportunities to sponsor specific Temple arches and include a personal message inside your arch (inside where it's not visible, as we don't want to visually or otherwise cheapen the Temple for obvious reasons).

We've got $200k of the $280k we need to ensure the Temple can be finished, transported, assembled, and then burned.

Please help! I wrote a post here that contains my plea, as well as a very rough breakdown of the costs involved.
http://www.burn.life/blog/the-temple-needs-us

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:52 pm

Pics of the build site recently:

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:18 pm

Wow, $280K is quite an ask. The big art arms race has entered the thermonuclear age.

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:28 pm

trilobyte wrote:Wow, $280K is quite an ask. The big art arms race has entered the thermonuclear age.
It's a lot alright. But consider the differences between, say, what they're doing and a David Best Temple: These guys are a new team, and had to spend a lot of money before a single thing was fabricated for the Temple, whereas David Best has what I believe is his own space to work on the build at, already has all the tools, and has a team that has done this many times.

It's a darn incredible Temple, imo, and we will get it funded, but help is much appreciated. Who doesn't love the Temple? (Rhetorical question...I know some people actively dislike it.)

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:40 pm

We love you !

xoA.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:06 pm

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:34 pm

I made this Temple video just for you @ygmir.

[media]

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:01 pm

beautiful vid, DrYes!
does not change my mind, and I'm happy to be your conduit to post that, but yeah.......no.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:11 pm

SECONDED !

xoA.

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:17 pm

ygmir wrote:beautiful vid, DrYes!
does not change my mind, and I'm happy to be your conduit to post that, but yeah.......no.
What if I baked you some cookies? Would you help then? I will literally make a tasty batch of cookies and ship some to you if it'll help change your mind.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:44 pm

DrYes wrote:
ygmir wrote:beautiful vid, DrYes!
What if I baked you some cookies? Would you help then? I will literally make a tasty batch of cookies and ship some to you if it'll help change your mind.
awe, that is a kind, and tempting offer!
But, were I to accept, IMHO, it would be hypocritical.
I say this, in the light that shines on those whom do love "the temple" so. I am happy, and supportive of any who want or need this talisman, for directing emotion, thought, or magic. I know, for some, a point of focus is necessary. And for this, I am happy it exists.

But, for me, I say my path differs:
For me, the lack of a talisman, point of focus, temple, etc...... is just the thing. The effort, to provide my own focus, on what I find or feel to be ethereal, deserving of recognition and respect, to be acknowledged and appreciated, is what creates the magic, in and of itself.

I often reflect on a truth (perhaps, in my mind alone) that I created in my own small mind, which states:
The greatest magic, piety, or power of whatever you choose, comes, from the pure of heart. The pure thought and cognition, that can create a path to the divine.
And this, bears not on grand clothing, riches, jewelry or temples, but dwells in the heart and soul of the true spirit.
The pauper, dressed in rags, who is pure of intent, charitable in prayer, and loving in their wishes, can *rightly* raise more magic, than the grandest priest, shaman, or whatever the title, adorned in the finest robes, wearing the most expensive of jewels, and in the most grand temple™ of all time, if this archetypal wizard, and a throng of acolytes, have not the purity and focus, of good will.

So to me, divest the focus on a "temple", and let people create their own, singly or in groups. Let them be small, or grand, but let them be made, only, by the effort of those involved, by their own might, and mane, and focused, by the purity of heart and thought.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:53 pm

ygmir wrote:
I say this, in the light that shines on those whom do love "the temple" so. I am happy, and supportive of any who want or need this talisman, for directing emotion, thought, or magic. I know, for some, a point of focus is necessary. And for this, I am happy it exists.

For me, the lack of a talisman, point of focus, temple, etc...... is just the thing. The effort, to provide my own focus, on what I find or feel to be ethereal, deserving of recognition and respect, to be acknowledged and appreciated, is what creates the magic, in and of itself.
Totally reasonable!

For me, the Temple isn't "the" focus. It's just one of many, but it's a particularly cool one. I wrote a post to explain that video (http://www.burn.life/blog/what-does-the ... ean-to-you) where I said that the reason the Temple is important to me is that it makes me feel closer to my fellow mankind. I love all of the art, big and small, at Burning Man, but the Temple is a positive feedback loop for me in a way that no other piece of art out there is.

"The Temple at Burning Man is different things to different people, but for most of us it's a place of deep feeling. I hesitate to call it spirituality because that's not what it is to me, but it is for many. What it certainly is for me is the only "church", if you'd like to think of it that way, that has ever meant anything to me.

I don't go to the Temple to worship any god or supernatural being, though. I come to immerse myself in the humanity of the people around me. It's so very raw and heartfelt at the Temple. Rarely in life are you physically surrounded by so many people collectively experiencing such deep, heartfelt emotions, and rarely do I feel as human as I do there.

The fact that people are not 'just' experiencing emotion, but also leaving memories, wishes, and mementos of their own behind magnifies the experience and increases the connection I feel to my fellow man while there. I feel as if I'm getting a glimpse into the genuine emotional lives of thousands of people while spending an hour or two at the Temple, reading what has been left, trying not to cry and failing miserably,

I've never felt that so strongly before - the Temple is simply that powerful to me. That's why I stepped in to help and have been working hard to help get if funded, built, transported to the playa, assembled, lit, and finally burned."

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:11 pm

DrYes wrote:
ygmir wrote:

Totally reasonable!

For me, the Temple isn't "the" focus. It's just one of many, but it's a particularly cool one. I wrote a post to explain that video (http://www.burn.life/blog/what-does-the ... ean-to-you) where I said that the reason the Temple is important to me is that it makes me feel closer to my fellow mankind. I love all of the art, big and small, at Burning Man, but the Temple is a positive feedback loop for me in a way that no other piece of art out there is.

"The Temple at Burning Man is different things to different people, but for most of us it's a place of deep feeling. I hesitate to call it spirituality because that's not what it is to me, but it is for many. What it certainly is for me is the only "church", if you'd like to think of it that way, that has ever meant anything to me.

I don't go to the Temple to worship any god or supernatural being, though. I come to immerse myself in the humanity of the people around me. It's so very raw and heartfelt at the Temple. Rarely in life are you physically surrounded by so many people collectively experiencing such deep, heartfelt emotions, and rarely do I feel as human as I do there.

The fact that people are not 'just' experiencing emotion, but also leaving memories, wishes, and mementos of their own behind magnifies the experience and increases the connection I feel to my fellow man while there. I feel as if I'm getting a glimpse into the genuine emotional lives of thousands of people while spending an hour or two at the Temple, reading what has been left, trying not to cry and failing miserably,

I've never felt that so strongly before - the Temple is simply that powerful to me. That's why I stepped in to help and have been working hard to help get if funded, built, transported to the playa, assembled, lit, and finally burned."
well said.
and so, I wish you the best, in all of this. I will not participate, but very much appreciate a respectful conversation, especially of such a moot subject, and hope it's whatever you dream.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:29 pm

islandkat
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Storytelling Camp

Post by islandkat » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:25 am

I have seen there are emails going around various well known Silicon Valley companies (behemoths) talking about the need to give to this project, that it is seriously behind in funding, and needs support. I do not want to paste one here to respect privacy of writers, but I've seen the emails.

Is there a chance it will not complete if it does not finish funding? I hope there are some huge donations from caring well off folk, but sounds like a few bucks from each of us is needed. If everyone attending gave just $2.50 sounds like it would be funded, if no large donations come in. Cannot imagine the Burn without the Temple. Lives change due to the Spirit of the Temple, no matter its physical form of the year.

Any updates from those in charge?

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:44 am

DrYes wrote:
trilobyte wrote:Wow, $280K is quite an ask. The big art arms race has entered the thermonuclear age.
It's a lot alright. But consider the differences between, say, what they're doing and a David Best Temple: These guys are a new team, and had to spend a lot of money before a single thing was fabricated for the Temple, whereas David Best has what I believe is his own space to work on the build at, already has all the tools, and has a team that has done this many times.

It's a darn incredible Temple, imo, and we will get it funded, but help is much appreciated. Who doesn't love the Temple? (Rhetorical question...I know some people actively dislike it.)
That's not really an excuse. If they were the artists they purport to be, a bit of additional ingenuity might have kept their project and their vision in a more appropriate proportion to their physical capabilities and their level of experience. (I wonder how much David Best spent on his first temple? Even adjusted for inflation.)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

islandkat

Post by islandkat » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:08 am

Elderberry wrote:
DrYes wrote:

That's not really an excuse. If they were the artists they purport to be, a bit of additional ingenuity might have kept their project and their vision in a more appropriate proportion to their physical capabilities and their level of experience. (I wonder how much David Best spent on his first temple? Even adjusted for inflation.)
With no offense meant in my long response here, just another perspective for you to consider --

With all due respect as a newbie here, but as an artist, I suggest a bit more understanding, and gratitude for the enormity of the task being completed for the temporary City in the Dust, the amount of labor and time going into this for you, and for all, and the amount of personal contribution on the part of the artist and team. Did you know that part of the reason other artists have pulled out of this enormous undertaking is because of 75% of the cost being a personal liability? And did you know that artists in the past have had to personally guarantee insurance and liability for those entering the Temple during the event? Did you know that an artist can basically bankrupt themselves building this temple if they do not have enough backers?

I will paste some of what I've seen here to help answer questions, with the disclaimer that I have not vetted the source of this text, and perhaps the artist and team themselves can chime in. I would venture to say tools are owned and that is not the big cost. If one is a builder or an artist or an architect or an engineer, all whom have contributed free time and energy and creativity and labor and materials to this project, one has tools already. Blades get dull, bits get broken, and Best or the new crew would need to supply those as they go, no difference. Materials are expensive, space is expensive, feeding the building crew on Playa site is expensive (though very reasonable in their quote), and so on.

And there is claim that Best had a sponsor that took care of the lion's share of the financial need, or some big chunk of it, quoting another:
"The untold story behind David Best's amazing temples is that he has access to and support from one foundation that has provided a lion's share of his funds each year, and guarantees his financial solvency. Jazz and his crew have no similar deep-pocket patron"
and
" 25% of their budget for their out-of-pocket costs (materials, engineering, transportation, and on-site machinery and logistics support). Consistent with BMORG's art grant policies, labor expenses are not covered in the grant. The remaining 75% is up to the artist to raise through other means, and all labor (other than professional engineers required for insurance) is expected to be donated"

Here is the paste of the budget info in the last email I have seen:

"We’ve decided that the best way to honor the Temple and all that it stands for is to be transparent about the costs, that those with the ability to support us financially can only do so with the facts.

Our total budget as proposed to the Burning Man Project was $300,000. We have brought in more than $130,000 and are around $170,000 short. Our trees are well underway, perimeter is done, benches are done, the arches for the Grove are done, and we are more than ⅓ complete with the arches for the structure. We built our shop from scratch using borrowed and salvaged equipment when possible and paid for critical path items such as lumber, tools, and our build site leases to get underway. To save some costs and time, we have also redesigned the Temple slightly to shorten the structure from 97 feet to a still impressive height of 70 feet. This decision also helps reduce our wind load by nearly 50%, an important consideration for engineering.

With all these things in mind, our anticipated upcoming needs are below:
· $18,000 to complete the arches; each arch is built in sections to be assembled on playa. The smallest arches have 3 sections, the largest will have 15 sections. Each includes CNC machine costs, plywood, interior blocking for stability, wobble board, fasteners = $135 per arch section.
· $9,000 for ribs; we will have 2.5 miles of long, beautiful lines which we call “ribs” connecting the arches to each other.
· $23,000 for the spire; this is the sweeping front facing piece to which the copper will attach.
· $9,800 remaining lease for build space; we have to pay rent through August for our Alameda space and our American Steel space in Oakland where we’re welding the grove of trees.
· $27,000 in shipping the Temple pieces; Alameda, CA to Gerlach, NV on flatbed trucks.
· $9,000 decomposed granite and LNT tools; required to protect the playa from the burn and to ensure we leave no trace afterward.
· $5,000 for burn related needs; includes additional firewood, burlap, fuel, and paraffin wax.
· $25,000 in food and water; to feed and hydrate our 130 person crew for two weeks of building on playa. This equals $13.74/day per person for three meals and electrolyte based drinks.
· $3,000 for shade; to protect our crew from heat related illnesses.
· $15,000 for build related power and lights; use of power tools, lighting, etc. during the two weeks of building on the playa as well as a generator and fuel for our underground power grid to keep the0 Temple lit throughout the event.
· $10,000 to complete the steel grove of trees; the grove of trees is our Central Altar space and is being welded out of steel by artist Kevin Byall. The smallest tree will be 15 feet tall. These trees will survive the ritual fire of the Temple and will be structurally sound. Please contact us if you are interested in sponsoring them for placement “out in the world” this September.
· $5,000 for insurance and business; we’ve got some general costs of doing business.
· $25,000 for copper; this price was based on the full size of the Temple which we have now scaled down 20 feet. We are discussing additional ways to apply the copper that may also shave off some of this cost, so we view this as a working number that will likely go down."

I think people do not realize how much money artists contribute from their own bank account, instead of the new-used car, or the new bike, or the new computer they need. I am grateful for an artist and crew stepping forward to do this enormous undertaking, making the physical manifestation of the already-living Temple for us Burners to find space for our transformation and ritual and gathering and healing.

Thanks for listening.

islandkat

Post by islandkat » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:23 am

It would also be interesting to see the costs of the Temples over the years. Perhaps you are right that it is a high cost design, but if so I'd like to see the costs for the years with large temples. Best's first year was 2000, but I think that was a smaller design. I do not have time to research it right now, but perhaps someone here has that info already. I do know that Best is quoted as saying he spent 25k per year on the project all himself, wow! That is a huge artist contribution, and how many years did he do this? That is after tax dollars, though perhaps he figured out a way as art publicity that it was tax deductible for him.

So if anyone has year by year temple cost, that would be interesting. Still, one must factor in inflation, and note the items that have risen in cost much faster than inflation, like insurance for example. As the event grows, insurance costs would grow at a greater speed.

Yet this probably requires a new thread --

Back to fundraising comments on this year's Temple, a Promise....

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:11 pm

islandkat wrote:I have seen there are emails going around various well known Silicon Valley companies (behemoths) talking about the need to give to this project, that it is seriously behind in funding, and needs support. I do not want to paste one here to respect privacy of writers, but I've seen the emails.

Is there a chance it will not complete if it does not finish funding? I hope there are some huge donations from caring well off folk, but sounds like a few bucks from each of us is needed. If everyone attending gave just $2.50 sounds like it would be funded, if no large donations come in. Cannot imagine the Burn without the Temple. Lives change due to the Spirit of the Temple, no matter its physical form of the year.

Any updates from those in charge?
Some folks inside Facebook that reached out to me proactively have been enormously helpful in helping me drive traffic to the Temple fundraisers via Burn.Life, the avenue by which we've had the most success, by providing free ad credits to promote the fundraising message and via direct donation as well. I know the internal burners group at FB is on it. Haven't been directly contacted by people from other of the big companies but please put anyone interested in touch with me at matt@templeofpromise.org!

So, if we don't have the money, we don't have the money. However, we're making good progress and I'm very confident we're going to get this done....so please help if you haven't already and you care about the Temple.

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:14 pm

islandkat wrote:It would also be interesting to see the costs of the Temples over the years. Perhaps you are right that it is a high cost design, but if so I'd like to see the costs for the years with large temples. Best's first year was 2000, but I think that was a smaller design. I do not have time to research it right now, but perhaps someone here has that info already. I do know that Best is quoted as saying he spent 25k per year on the project all himself, wow! That is a huge artist contribution, and how many years did he do this? That is after tax dollars, though perhaps he figured out a way as art publicity that it was tax deductible for him.

So if anyone has year by year temple cost, that would be interesting. Still, one must factor in inflation, and note the items that have risen in cost much faster than inflation, like insurance for example. As the event grows, insurance costs would grow at a greater speed.

Yet this probably requires a new thread --

Back to fundraising comments on this year's Temple, a Promise....
I'd be primarily interested in knowing how much the 2011 Temple of Transition cost. That thing was massive.

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:05 pm

Temple basically fully funded! $170k in a month. Not too shabby. :)

Thanks to anyone who contributed, and see you on the playa!

(The first of the Temple crew hit the playa this morning, and we've already sent off the first flatbed of pieces for it.)

Here it is so far. Impressive, no?

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:15 pm

Does this mean the copper is happening?!

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:01 pm

Jovankat wrote:Does this mean the copper is happening?!
Well, it means we're attempting some reduced version of the copper (not covering the whole spire with it), yeah, provided nothing goes wrong that forces us to bail on that plan (time, bad weather, materials fuckup, who knows...unlike the rest of the Temple that's already built in pieces, the copper has to go on after the spire is already out on the playa, though before it's stood up). We literally only made that call on Sunday - it was not an uncontroversial decision by any means, but the dominant feeling in the end was that a lot of people are looking forward to the copper so we need to do whatever we can to make it happen in whatever form we can.

(And to clarify, by reduced we're still talking about something like 4000 square feet of copper.)

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:45 pm

Yay I'm glad to hear there's a chance!

Is that what the secret project at AmSteel tonight from 9pm is about? I'm going to try to get over there.

Return to “2015 On-Playa Project Fundraisers”