Can I make a wearable, portable flamethrower?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
MayNotBeReal
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: N/A

Can I make a wearable, portable flamethrower?

Post by MayNotBeReal » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:20 pm

I'm planning on taking a flamethrower. this is burning man, after all. do I have to make some kind of setup, or mount it onto art car, or can i just wear it like it should be worn? there are regulations for flamethrowers, of course, but I cant find anything related to whether a flamethrower cant be wearable, (IE, just a normal, flamethrower.) I'd really like some advice on this,

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Can I make a wearable, portable flamethrower?

Post by BBadger » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:51 pm

You should probably contact the people at Burning Man (bottom) and see what they have to say. While you probably wouldn't be prohibited from attaching it to a costume or prop or something, you may be restricted in what you can do with it, when, and where, much like fire performance art.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:53 pm

MayNotBeReal wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:20 pm
... there are regulations for flamethrowers, of course ...
Actually, there aren’t any regulations on Flame Throwers in 48 US states.

California has outlawed them, and either Maryland or Massachusetts... can’t remember which.

It’s very ironic that some of the most brutal weapons of war are basically “do what you like”.

As long as you do not try to conceal it, odds are it’s all gravy.

Hidden slingshot in your pocket, nun-chucks, brass knuckles - ugly jail time.

Military Flame Thrower, Surplus Howitzer, granade launcher - as long as it’s not concealed - perfectly legal in 48 states.

The ammunition may be illegal, so the Howitzer must be converted to “black powder” ... but that’s just the fun part.

So, I say dream big, get your shit into high gear, and avoid California on your travels.

Here is David Silverman of The Simpson’s fame (director) doing his “Tuba Dave” BM Tuba flame thrower.

Dream Big, Burn Bright!

“It’s better to burn out than to fade away”

MayNotBeReal
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: N/A

Post by MayNotBeReal » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Token wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:53 pm
MayNotBeReal wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:20 pm
... there are regulations for flamethrowers, of course ...
Actually, there aren’t any regulations on Flame Throwers in 48 US states.

California has outlawed them, and either Maryland or Massachusetts... can’t remember which.

It’s very ironic that some of the most brutal weapons of war are basically “do what you like”.

As long as you do not try to conceal it, odds are it’s all gravy.

Hidden slingshot in your pocket, nun-chucks, brass knuckles - ugly jail time.

Military Flame Thrower, Surplus Howitzer, granade launcher - as long as it’s not concealed - perfectly legal in 48 states.

The ammunition may be illegal, so the Howitzer must be converted to “black powder” ... but that’s just the fun part.

So, I say dream big, get your shit into high gear, and avoid California on your travels.

Here is David Silverman of The Simpson’s fame (director) doing his “Tuba Dave” BM Tuba flame thrower.

Dream Big, Burn Bright!

“It’s better to burn out than to fade away”
I was talking about within the burning man itself, but yeah no flamethrower regs is just amazing

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:39 pm

It's Amazeballs!
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:38 am

BBadger has already given you the link to the flame effects information. Asking the BMORG for clarification might be wise before sinking a lot of time and money into something. We aren't always experts, we just like to think we are. That said, small portable propane powered pouffers are usually alright if you aren't being a drunken dick with them, and they shoot straight up. Bike mounted ones happen. Flamy Things which can be pointed at people targets are usually part of a performance with a safety perimeter.

Remember, this is federal land, so any state law takes a back seat.

Major Krash
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:07 pm

YMMV, but back in 2006 and 2007, the Artery did not have a category for Fire Art that was mobile but not on a vehicle. I know because both years I brought a flame effects art that never got inspected and badged. Both years I was told that no one was going to come inspect because it was not fixed art but not vehicle art.

Definitely contact them ahead of time (although I did so both years, was told "bring it, we will inspect it" but they refused to do so when I was actually on-Playa. They did "register it" as in-process, however, and told me I could "practice" withy it before it was inspected and certified, so ultimately it did not prevent me from using it (and I was sort of legal).

Things may have improved since then....
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:12 am

Just to note, you give the impression you think Burning Man is an absolute free-for-all where people throw fire everywhere with reckless abandon and burn everything.
That’s not at all how it is.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Return to “Building & Making Art”