Art Generator Doghouse Purpose and Design Tips

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Art Generator Doghouse Purpose and Design Tips

Post by spacetime » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:19 pm

We need to build an enclosure for our generator that will be near our art installation on the open playa.

The primary purpose of the enclosure is to reduce the likelihood of theft. Our art coordinator suggested it be secured to the playa with a locking door for servicing.

I have seen these before in my previous years, but never studied them and have no photos I'm aware of.

Can anyone give feedback on designs and methods of securing a generator doghouse appropriate for Burning Man? Our generator is similar to a Honda eu2000i.

The secondary goal would be to reduce noise, however if possible we'd like to avoid active venting. I do not recall seeing active (fan-based) venting on generator doghouses in past years.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Art Generator Doghouse Purpose and Design Tips

Post by Token » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:47 am

You’re in open playa so a full enclosure is silly. Besides, thermal issues are a problem with full closure.

3 sheets of plywood, a handful of zip-ties, drill some holes and just build an open faced semi-box with the side that is open radially pointing to the trash fence. Add 2 concrete form stakes to each side and screw them down.

For the genny, easiest solution is to have a double metal plate with chains.

Bottom plate gets lag-bolt to the Playa, top plate cover the lag bolts and attaches to bottom plate with some kind of locking mechanism. Genny on top with chains.

Token

Post by Token » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:54 pm

Thinking further on this ...

If you use two lengths of chain and cross them in an X pattern ...

... you can lag-bolt the chain to the Playa in a way that the generator sitting on top of the lag bolts prevents access to the lag bolts.

Then it’s just wrapping the generator with the chains and locking them down.

Good luck.

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:25 pm

This is a little late, but thank you for the replies. We also had a chance to talk w the artist behind the big letters and how they've secured a similar generator over the years.

Token

Post by Token » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:12 pm

spacetime wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:25 pm
This is a little late, but thank you for the replies. We also had a chance to talk w the artist behind the big letters and how they've secured a similar generator over the years.
Spill the beans please.

How will you secure it?

Just in case someone finds this next year ....

spacetime

Post by spacetime » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:55 pm

Token wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:12 pm
Spill the beans please.
How will you secure it?
Just in case someone finds this next year ....
We were prepared to build something from scratch and then by a lot of luck one of our team members came across an abandoned rabbit hutch on the side of the road in Portland.

I posted a photo of how one of our team members converted it. You can read more about the find in the update for the fundraiser. :)

Return to “Building & Making Art”