Signposts in the sand?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
meeton
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Prototopia

Signposts in the sand?

Post by meeton » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi Eplaya - I'm making a signpost as a small-scale last minute art piece. I'm just figuring out, how best should it go into the ground?

I looked at this article https://journal.burningman.org/2005/08/ ... /sign-hos/ and it says we use t-stakes, baling wire and duct tape for the street signs. Do you think I can get away with a big rebar stake (which I have many of) and duct taping my wooden post to the rebar? Or should I go the whole way and get a t-post and proper wire fixings?

Thanks for the help!

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: Signposts in the sand?

Post by Popeye » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Rebar will work depending on how deep it is driven and how big/how much wind the sign will catch. You might want to think about the sign spinning around the rebar as the wind blows. #pinwheel sighn
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Re: Signposts in the sand?

Post by motskyroonmatick » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:37 pm

I've recently converted to bolt down post holders for my camp fire extinguisher holders and fire lane markers. They hold a 4x4 in an upright sleeve and have 4 holes in the bottom plate where they can be lag bolted to the playa with 3/8 by 12" lag bolts.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Return to “Building & Making Art”