Submit Your Drawing, Painting, Photography or other 2D Art for Display in the Uncanny Valley Tea Room

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
alisonchilla
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Uncanny Valley

Submit Your Drawing, Painting, Photography or other 2D Art for Display in the Uncanny Valley Tea Room

Post by alisonchilla » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:27 pm

Hello!
Our new and tiny camp, Uncanny Valley, plans on creating a cozy (and slightly creepy) tea room at Burning Man 2020. We will serve freshly brewed tea in a location in the 'burbs, TBD.

This will be my fifth burn, and this post in the Burning Man Journal about small-scale art strengthened my desire to follow through on my vision of creating an art project that has a low barrier-to-entry for participation. I'm drawn to the idea of organizing an art project that most everyone is capable of helping with.

What we are looking for is some fantastic original art to hang on the "walls" of our tea room, much like you sometimes see hanging up in default-world cafes.

Here's the Call for Participation:

Uncanny Valley seeks donations of two-dimensional art for public display in a tea room that it plans to host in the suburbs of Black Rock City during Burning Man 2020. We are a small camp looking to showcase small art, and will use this artwork to decorate our space.

HOW TO SUBMIT
Work can be submitted electronically (we will print and frame), OR original art can be mailed. If you would like to send a piece through the postal mail or have any other questions, please ask them in the comments section of the form.
The submission form is here: https://forms.gle/3mAEtmThrAJeKShx7

SPECIFICATIONS
- Two-dimensional artwork
- Size constraint: 11” x 14”
- Any medium

THEME/PROMPT
Submissions to this art project should reflect our “uncanny valley” theme. The concept of uncanny valley, as defined in Wikipedia, “suggests that humanoid objects which imperfectly resemble actual human beings provoke uncanny or strangely familiar feelings of eeriness and revulsion in observers.” This is a narrow definition that we wish to broaden for this call for participation. We are extending the theme of this exhibit to include anything that is unsettling without being overtly violent, horrifying, cruel, spooky etc.

** ART WILL BE DONATED AT THE END OF THIS EXHIBIT. **

Note: I've not used Google Forms to collect entries like this before, so... fingers crossed it works. Don't hesitate to let me know if you encounter any problems. Or, you know, if I've forgotten to collect some vital piece of info in the form, let me know that too!

Return to “Building & Making Art”