How do I build a flame thrower

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
klone138

How do I build a flame thrower

Post by klone138 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:42 pm

I am getting a golf cart soon and of course i am going to turn it into a mutant vehicle and want to to build a flame thrower for it. If anyone has any plans or tips to building one it would be greatly appreciated.

phil

Post by phil » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:25 pm

You can search this bulletin board. Just two of the threads turned up in my search:
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=7139
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech ... amethrower

spectabillis
Burning Since: 2020

Post by spectabillis » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:51 pm

i should update that.

MikeVDS
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Post by MikeVDS » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:53 am

First it can be very dangerous so know what you're doing before you do it. Don't trust random sources off the web.

Next, depending on what exactly you're doing know that it can be considered a felony, so be careful.

If you're more specific about what you want to do you can get more help. Do you want a 5 foot flame to shoot out the top, or do you want to throw 40 foot long flames out of a hand held device that leaves burning trails?

Toolmaker

!

Post by Toolmaker » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:54 am

Do make sure you check federal and state codes. Also make sure SAFETY is priority number 1. You could try Google, that should turn up something.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.

klone138

Post by klone138 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:12 pm

Thanx to mikevds you did bring up a few important facts. and to answer the question about the flame size, I was trying to something like 5 feet out the top not an actuall flamethrower that can be held.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:41 pm

five feet.

thats not a flamethrower, thats a torch or large lamp. just buy a weedburner or replace a soldering stem with a hose barb.

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:42 pm

Desert dogs drink deep.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:26 pm

or poke around illumination village.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:23 am

MikeVDS wrote:First it can be very dangerous so know what you're doing before you do it. Don't trust random sources off the web.
QFT

falk

Re: !

Post by falk » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:32 pm

Toolmaker wrote:Do make sure you check federal and state codes. Also make sure SAFETY is priority number 1.
I thought it was number 3.

Toolmaker

Re: !

Post by Toolmaker » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:42 pm

falk wrote:
Toolmaker wrote:Do make sure you check federal and state codes. Also make sure SAFETY is priority number 1.
I thought it was number 3.
That I think is a village motto, I always try to keep it number 1 as a personal rule. Thats why I still have all my fingers, both eyes, and no really bad scars yet.

MikeVDS

Post by MikeVDS » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:21 pm

Gigsville Village rules. One version of them is roughly:

1. Fun
2. Drunken Engineering
3. Safety

Fun has to come first. We all do things for fun that are not necessarily safe because they are fun, so we must be putting fun ahead of safety. Drunken engineering is a must and again not considered a purely safe practice so that must come before as well.

Now putting out an eye gets rid of fun and instantly sobers the drunk engineers so that should be avoided because it violates rules 1 and 2. Remember safety is still very high on the list, it's just we're not going to pad everything with pillows like the default world would have us do. We're willing to take calculated risks in exchange for good times. Hence if someone says something doesn't look safe but it's fun, the term comes out, "Safety 3rd"

BAS

Post by BAS » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:43 pm

it's just we're not going to pad everything with pillows
That could actually be fun, and comfy! :P

B. (probably part cat or something.)
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:51 pm

Yeah, it's fun until someone loses an eye. Then it's fucking hilarious.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:03 pm

MikeVDS wrote:Gigsville Village rules. One version of them is roughly:

1. Fun
2. Drunken Engineering
3. Safety
is that how the safety third saying started?

Toolmaker

Post by Toolmaker » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:49 pm

spectabillis wrote:
MikeVDS wrote:Gigsville Village rules. One version of them is roughly:

1. Fun
2. Drunken Engineering
3. Safety
is that how the safety third saying started?
I heard it was originally DPW but than Shooter pissed and moaned so much they nuked it and Gigsville picked it up.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:10 am

Flame throwers are easy...Buy a cheap BBQ lighter, bend over and fire away.. Care must be taken about back burn..

MikeVDS

Post by MikeVDS » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:25 pm

Not sure how safety 3rd started. I learned it through Gigsville and found a list of rules which included this section
RULE) SAFETY 1/3 (or SAFETY IS THIRD) - The FIRST consideration is always Jackassery (tm) and Fun (tm). period. end of discussion. This may include any number of activities including, but not limited to: continuing to push buttons long after there is no effect, taunting others, setting things on fire, sticking things together that usually are not, secretly altering events so that Nobody is aware, poking stuff with a Poking Stick(tm), recreational sports, non-recreational sports...

The SECOND consideration is all OTHER considerations, such as, but not limited to: gaining obtainium, construction, planning, getting beer in order to do said planning, creating a list for planning, creating (yet another) list for talking amongst ourselves that has nothing to do with planning. period.

The THIRD consideration then, and only then, will be Safety. All Equipment for Safety should be reviewed in a Safety Meeting. period. Make of that what you will.
Not sure if that's where it came from or if the rule was written to fit the "safety 3rd" saying.

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:16 pm

The first link supports all the negative comments of the second. If that were my kid I'd beat the shit out of him. Almost torched the garage.

Why do you want to build a flame thrower? For Burning Man? That's a quick way to get thrown out I think. If it was mounted to a mutant vehicle and placed at the DMV minimum of 10' high that would be a different story. However a golf cart isn't that tall. Read the rules on fire "art" at BM. I also advise you to read the threads on mutant vehicles. Golf carts with some Christmas lights on them don't pass for mutant vehicles anymore.

As for the backpack versions of these... I don't think we need more idiots running around with fake machine guns and flame thowers cause they think it will make them look as cool as they thought the peeps that did it before looked to them. Now stationary fire art and fire on muvees is WAY cool. Anyone share my sentiment here?

Use your head and be original. And please, don't blow yourself up. Good luck!

[quote="Badger"]Seek and ye shall find....

[url]http://www.yikers.com/video_awesome_hom ... rower.html[/url]

and

[url]http://www.boredrigid.com/comments/445- ... rower.html[/url][/quote]

Rocket75377

Post by Rocket75377 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:14 pm

Gasoline and a supersoaker.
I am the people your parents warned you about.

"How would Horatio Alger have handled this?"

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:34 pm

Rat Bastard wrote:That's a quick way to get thrown out I think
nope.
As for the backpack versions of these... I don't think we need more idiots running around with fake machine guns and flame thowers cause they think it will make them look as cool as they thought the peeps that did it before looked to them. Now stationary fire art and fire on muvees is WAY cool. Anyone share my sentiment here?
there may be some who share it, but i dont. there are more people who proabably shouldnt even touch a lighter, but i would hope people realize the danger of more rules and restrictions when allowing the shortcommngs of a few lead to limitations for everyone.

for me restrictions on fire would be similar to restrictions attire to keep nudity from children.

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:14 pm

Spectabillis,
So do you think the rule of no guns or weapons should be removed? Fine with me. There's still that state law thingy. I'm assuming that you know I'm talking about hand held flamethrowers. And yes, if you walked around with something like what was shown on video in the links in this thread, you would get tossed, if not arrested. I can't see one of those ever getting approved. If that's not the case, I'm sure there's plenty of people out there willing to kick the ass of the irrisponsible idiot flaming the town.

On preparation guide:
What Not To Bring -
Explosives, aerial flares, rockets, Firearms of any kind - including BB guns, air rifles, or paint ball guns

On Survival Guide:
NO firearms! The possession of firearms or ammunition within Black Rock City is prohibited. Neither our event nor the greater playa is suitable for recreational shooting.
(this includes blanks. Think mass panic)

On the BM FAQ:
Guidelines for open flame, burn barrels, Tiki torches etc within theme camps:
5. A 20’ Zone around the fire must be free of any flammable materials such as but not limited to: cloth, paper, tents, plastic, etc.
7. A supply of at least 5 Gl of water must be kept on hand to extinguish the fire in case of high winds (wind can blow embers and sparks a long distance on the playa!) or other hazards.

On Guidelines for flame effects within theme camps:
2. No pressurized liquid fuels are to be used within the camping area.

On Mutant Vehicle Application:
All approved fire must be above head height (10 feet).

The hand held ones that I saw were being used on the street, at ground level, next to camps and tents with people walking by. If you can't see rules in order to protect again't that ignorance that's your opinion. That's why your not making decisions for the event. Furthermore, in case there was any confusion on the definition of a firearm... "A device that by design propells a projectile by use of fire or explosion." Ignited fuel shot 30' could be considered a projectile. But if that's not enough, try this Nevada law...

Nevada definition:
1. “Explosive or incendiary deviceâ€

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:25 pm

i think this guy deserves the stompdown, but not for the bonefire unit.

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:06 am

Those are all gas type fuels right? Not propelled liquid? Except for the fire breathers. They're gonna burn themselves up before anyone else. They're a little closer to the risks involved. Nothing you showed is actually what I was talking about (propelled liquid fuel via pressure). So maybe we're on the same page. Cool pics though.

So why does that one guy deserve a stomp down? Old friend?

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:18 am

for the lime green thong..

i dont really make differences between liquid or vapor because its easier for me to classify by flame size and avoid arguments like propane, which if you can push it out well enough is liquid until it hits atmospheric pressure. thats the bonefire units, thats my design. even though i have not seen the vid, my guess is its that pressurized pvc backpack unit that burns kerosene or such.

i would bet there is far more danger from people taking headers into open fires from passing out, or drunks trying to spit a swig of everclear in a diy approach to firespitting.

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:37 am

I would agree on the everclear thing. (We used 160 proof grapa instead here in Chitown) However the video links given on how to make an alcohol type are crazy. Did you notice that kid trying to "shake" the fire out on his squirtgun. These, although they maybe intended as humorous, will be taken seriously by someone dieing to be cool. That's what I don't want to see on the playa.

I think there's a big difference between liquid and gas. Yes the gas can come out as liquid until it reaches it's "own" pressure and temp to become gas. However liquid fuel stays liquid, spills on the playa and doesn't rise up in the air hence leaving potential hazards. Liquid fuel devices are something that the Borg does not allow. I'm pretty sure on this but I'm too lazy to fact check right now.

Lime green thong? Well maybe it's his way of keeping his bike from getting stolen by leaving green skid marks on the seat. I don't judge on clothes at BM. I mean, take a look around.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:49 am

At what point does rapid oxidation become an explosion?

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:50 am

i get where you're comming from, and i agree on people needing some basic common sense when doing some things. so far people have been *mostly* cool about regulating themselves and even take part in collective efforts to make sure safety is considered and lessons learned. there is fire training, the conclave, quite a few regulations already in place, places where diy'ers like myself collect to talk stuff out, and most times when people post ideas up you usually have someone jumping in with the dangers involved where safety gets worked in.

my concern is the loss of open creative ability and spirit whenever more rules and regulations are stuffed in. so far its been a fairly effective community response without them, although a bit confusing and anarchistic for new people to catch on to.

spectabillis

Post by spectabillis » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:54 am

gyre wrote:At what point does rapid oxidation become an explosion?
percussion waves?

Return to “Building & Making Art”