how do you keep knuckleheads off your tall structures?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
alienfry

how do you keep knuckleheads off your tall structures?

Post by alienfry » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:08 am

we're building something awesome and tall and fun, but we're not always going to be open. we're not an espleanade / everything open 24 hrs type of camp.

i saw lots of large scale stuff out there and lots of simple signs that read: "Do Not Climb"

I wonder, how effective were those signs?

What measures did camps take to assert when something was either closed or off-limits?
awesome oppossum

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:37 pm

There's a product called "Nixalite" that was designed to keep pigeons off of window ledges and signage- (nix-alight, get it?) It's like very stiff Christmas tinsel swag, made of lots of pokey little strands of wire. A big version of this stuff would serve to repel the curious without maiming them. Or those who live in the southwest could collect stray Cholla pods and cover the base of their towers.....
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Skyhawk

Post by Skyhawk » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:17 am

razor wire.

hmm.. "camp Razorwire.."

dj_john69
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Post by dj_john69 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:54 pm

In 2002, we had a scaffolding structure over 70' up...people were always trying to climb up it with random reasons. We had "do not climb" signs as well as a yellow caution tape around the structure. Most people didn't try to climb it but a few did without permission. We ended up having someone from our camp there throughout the event to stop people from climbing....working in shifts.

Last year we did a 25' scaffolding in our lil camp and still had people asking to climb but not as bad as in 2002. Bottom line, people like climbing shit for no reasons....chances are they are high and want to get higher...hehe

How high and safe is your structure ?? DPW gave us a hand getting our structure tied down to their standards...which are very high...for a good reason. I'd recommend talking to the DPW about your project for advice and any help.

~John

68barracuda

Post by 68barracuda » Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:24 pm

Signs, prickly wrap, razor wire, and last but not least... ELECTRICITY!!!
If after all that and they still want to climb its their own fucking fault for being stupid...

Barracuda
Unless you push your limits how will you ever know where they are?

welcome to my lair.. said the spider to the fly...

Return to “Building & Making Art”