Propane Fire Blower Project Help.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
Jay Johnstone
Burning Since: 2010

Propane Fire Blower Project Help.

Postby Jay Johnstone » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:02 pm

Soooo it looks like were bringing a small art car to the burn this year, aaannnnnddddddd I'v been trying to look up how people are building these propane fire blowing setups 8) . I have a fairly good idea of how all of this works, and the design I'm looking to do. But I'd like to run it by some other people that might know a bit more about this then I do :wink: . Someone that's built one of these setups before would be awesome!! So if you have, or if you know someone who has, LETS CHAT!! :D

FIGJAM

Re: Propane Fire Blower Project Help.

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:31 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:34 am

I've talked to a couple fire and flame effects people who have advised that unless you're an expert, only ever have someone show you how to build some new fire toy in person. The internet is an awesome resource for information, but can also be prone to miscommunication. My advice would be to get signed onto the regional group mailing list for where you live, and if possible a neighboring regional group or two. Go to events, and connect with people who can help you out. Good luck with the project!

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Dr Helix » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:41 am

Here is a great reference to get started, but you really do need to run it by someone who's done it before. I repeat, use this as a primer ONLY! Good luck.

http://www.spontaneousfire.com/TOD_firecannons.htm
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:45 am

trilobyte wrote:I've talked to a couple fire and flame effects people who have advised that unless you're an expert, only ever have someone show you how to build some new fire toy in person. The internet is an awesome resource for information, but can also be prone to miscommunication. My advice would be to get signed onto the regional group mailing list for where you live, and if possible a neighboring regional group or two. Go to events, and connect with people who can help you out. Good luck with the project!

What Trilo said +++

Yeah you could probably find the recourses online to do it, but there are always things people assume that you know that they may not mention online. It's not the kind of thing you want to learn through trial & error.

I was lucky & hooked up with my regional group in 2012. When I found out they needed help making an effigy for the regional burn I jumped at the opportunity. While doing this I was able to help set-up/repair a "poofer" that they had from a previous year. It was a relatively simple rig with a few solenoid valves & a small LP tank for an accumulator. But what really amazed me was the size of the flames & the energy expended in just the push of a button.

Since it was so impressive & fun, everyone had to give it a try. Not long after 2 police officers came around the house to see what was going on. Note to self.....Make sure the neighbors know what you are doing & are cool about it, & know if it is even legal to shoot 20' flames in your backyard.

It was a blast (literally) but I was working with people that had the knowledge & experience to do it safely & that will always mean the difference between an awesome time and a trip to the ER with 3rd degree burns.

Did I mention that we had fire safety people on hand? Don't even think about doing this alone or without some safety spotters ready to help should something go wrong.

Be Careful. Be smart.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Postby GreyCoyote » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:39 pm

Safety third. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Mr. Lubey

Postby Mr. Lubey » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:06 am

Return to “Building & Making Art”