Placement for large art that isn't in a theme camp?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Placement for large art that isn't in a theme camp?

Post by sparr » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:37 am

Is there a way to get placement in the camping areas for a large art project that isn't part of a camp? I recall seeing stuff like that mostly in inner playa previously.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Placement for large art that isn't in a theme camp?

Post by tamarakay » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:12 pm

Artery at burningman dot org
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:13 pm

In 2015 (and previously)
"Art Plazas
There are two art plazas at 4:30 & 7:30 and G Street, where Burning Man Arts places select participant created art pieces."

You would need to talk with the ARTery about placement. Right now is a busy time and I'd recommend waiting until applications open up (next month?) before making inquiries.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:40 pm

Someone already beat you to the punch last year.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:01 am

Yeah, what was that thing? I could have sworn it popped up in a matter of hours, just a few blocks from where I was residing... Talk about doing a double take, as I pondered where it came from and what it might be made of. That's that burning man shit right there.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:46 am

Grai and I found it for the first time Sunday night after Temple burn. I thought I was hallucinating a giant moon, but like freaking moths, we started walking to it with one flashlight, two cups and no water.

It is EXACTLY what it looks like. A giant inflatable white ball. There was lighting and a DJ inside. A makeshift bar outside. You took your shoes off and crawled into the sphere which was oddly bigger on the inside.

It was pretty cold as they were continuously pumping air in to keep it inflated, but totally awesome.

The night is a bit of a blur, but I think the guy there told us that they had several issue in that the sphere arrived later in the week, and because of the winds, could not be inflated most of the time.
Sic Semper Spectatores

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:16 am

Sparr, how big a piece are we talking about here? If you don't need that much, there's nothing wrong with just putting it streetside in front of your camp.
Sic Semper Spectatores

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:55 am

I'm giving this a nudge to the Building Art Installations board, since that's a better fit.

As others have said, you should get in touch with the Burning Man ARTery for all your questions regarding art placement. Like Just_Joe suggested, I also recommend waiting until the placement forms open up. Once they do, read that info (it may answer any questions you have) and then reach out to the team.

Basically, you're allowed (and encouraged) to build and place art within the boundaries of your own camp - regardless of whether you are a placed camp or not. If you're not a placed camp, then just like regular camping you find an available spot once you arrive and set up your camp and your art. You are responsible for MOOPing the area around your installation.

The placement team does not place art installations within designated camping areas (for example, 8:15 and G). They do place art in some key places in the city, such as the plazas.

I hope that helps, and good luck with your project!

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:44 pm

I was camped just up the street from them. They were trying to get it up all week, tried a few partial inflations but never got a break from the wind until the weekend. Once it was up, it changed the skyline...kind of hard to get a reference for it due to the shape, but was supposed to be a world's largest inflatable ball or whatever...100 feet rings a bell. It dominated the 9:00 side of the city even from far out on Gate Road, and was actually the last identifiable thing I could see leaving the playa last year.

renee
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Love Potion

Post by renee » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:37 pm

Yeah, what was that thing? I could have sworn it popped up in a matter of hours, just a few blocks from where I was residing... Talk about doing a double take, as I pondered where it came from and what it might be made of. That's that burning man shit right there.
That's the playa moon! According to Do-More-Now's listing on the 2015 Unofficial Map of Black Rock City, it's a 65' tall spherical projection screen. It just happens to also have crazy echo-ey acoustics, so when I was in there, a bunch of people were clapping and whistling and making other beatbox-y sounds.

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Post by sparr » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:24 am

VultureChow wrote:Sparr, how big a piece are we talking about here? If you don't need that much, there's nothing wrong with just putting it streetside in front of your camp.
I might be camping alone, with a relatively small footprint. The art I'm thinking of would probably be around 30x50ft. I wasn't sure how weird I should feel claiming such a large space upon arrival.

I'll contact the artery when they open up for submissions.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:40 am

I think it would be alright further back. However, in the more populated areas, people might not see eye to eye with you. As an example of art and camping, our entire foot print runs 50+x75, but most of it is camp, with the art out front taking roughly a fourth of the footprint.

Return to “Building & Making Art”