Building our first wood art to be burned

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
bad-and-ugly
Burning Since: 2013

Building our first wood art to be burned

Postby bad-and-ugly » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:26 pm

Hello everyone [=
My name is Bernardo aka Giggles. My first and second burns were 2013 and 2014. In 2013 I met by chance Ana, she had just become Burning Man's regional contact here in Brazil, and eversince we've been trying to do a little regional burn here.
Right now I'm working towards a weekend camping trip in November and we will burn an effigy [= My friend and I will design and build it, she knows a little about materials. I was wondering if any of you guys could please share your knowledge and tips on building a wooden effigy to be burned? Any and all information will be greatly appreciated - can you imagine a Brazilian burn happening this year? I can hardly wait!!
Hugs
Giggles
---Bernardo

SmileyReiley
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Red Bar

Re: Building our first wood art to be burned

Postby SmileyReiley » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:39 pm

How exciting! I'm not sure how many people you are expecting, or how large of a structure, but I think safety is actually first rather than third during a burn, for obvious reasons! Here's a copy of my burn plan from my first little project! It was about 12' tall and 14' at its widest point. Depending on the size of the event, this might be overkill. Our project was at an event with less than 300 people. This is going to be such an awesome experience for you and your friend! Watching our project burn was one of the best experiences of my life!

Wednesday
10am:
Reiley prints her burn and safety plan at work, using company dollars for her project. MUAHAHA!

Saturday
11am:
Reiley will remove LED light strips from the temple. She will also make a little trench which will later be used for ignition.

10pm:
Perimeter crew will meet at Temple.
Reiley will check to make sure little trench is still intact.
Reiley, Drew, and perimeter crew will sweep the temple and ensure that no one is inside.
Three or four people on perimeter will spread out and keep watch on the temple.
At this point temple will be continuously watched.
The rest of the crew will load pallets into the temple.
Perimeter will be formed.
Drew will use a ladder to pour 7-10 gallons of diesel onto the temple.
Drew will pour white gas (camping gas) on the trench.
Drew will get the fuck away from the temple. :)
Reiley will check in with Boxes (Fire Lead) and Ross (Safety Lead) before the ignition.

11:11pm:
Reiley will light a flair and drop at the end of the trench to ignite the white gas.
Trench fire will lead to Temple.
Temple Burns.
Temple Collapses.
Reiley will check in with Boxes/Ross to see if perimeter can be released.
Perimeter is released and crowd is allowed closer to fire.
Reiley and safety helper will use metal rake to push the burning pile into center.
Reiley will check in with Boxes/Ross at end of burn.

Sunday
10am:
Reiley will use a magnetic rake to collect ALL OF THE NAILS from the ash.
Ash has been approved by landowner to be left on property.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Building our first wood art to be burned

Postby trilobyte » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:42 am

Let's not forget that the ground where the burn is to take place should ideally also be prepared before the structure even goes up. I think that for the big burns they put down a layer of decomposed granite or some other similar material to minimize the burn scarring. Depending on your location, you may also want to check into the potential impact to the surrounding eco-system and wildlife, as well as possible archaeological impact (that one may sound crazy, but last year a group claimed that the organizers of mid-burn may have damaged a paleolithic era site, despite the organizers checking with antiquities authorities).

I'd refer you to the resources for creating playa art and creating fire art found on this section of the main site. If you or the regional contact have further questions or concerns, reach out to the ARTery folks directly. I'd bet they'd be happy to help you plan for a great burn.

Return to “Building & Making Art”