Pyro Board Thoughts?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
kowtow
Burning Since: 2014

Pyro Board Thoughts?

Postby kowtow » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:14 pm

I'm planning on building a couple of pyro boards for the this coming year and I was wondering if there were any camps that have had experience with this and could provide some tips. My plan is to have two 24"x24" boards with two six inch speakers driving each pyro board.

Some of my concerns are:
    Wind
    Heat (from prolonged use)
    Safety (if this is at table level are there additional precautions required)
    Other tips or advice

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Pyro Board Thoughts?

Postby maladroit » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:07 am

Wind is the biggest problem. Seems to die down most nights though, so it may work out. Having a red-hot object at table height does seem to be a bit of an issue.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Postby Traveller in Time » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:36 am

For what my limited knowledge of Rubenoid tubes is worth:

Most of those tubes use a wide range audio source, where any flame effect will be limited below the 500 Hz. 6 inch drivers would be good, please try to clip the frequencies above, the remaining audible sound is not much good anyway.

For the tables I have seen one in the video behaves very good. Though continuous ignition may be a thought. As well as -some- heat transport from the center of the grid out (where?). No cooling down of the center will give an overheated grid ever.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

rocco17
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Steampunk Saloon

Postby rocco17 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:20 pm

Wind is likely going to be a problem. I haven't built a table, but the tube i built was extremely sensitive to wind, and the flames had to be pretty small to give off the actual effect of reacting to the frequency...

As for safety concerns, I would recommend that you reach out to the FAST team ASAP. See http://burningman.org/event/art-perform ... -fire-art/ for some general info, and contacts.

Return to “Building & Making Art”