How many/how long stakes for art installation?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
imsoevil
Burning Since: 2004

How many/how long stakes for art installation?

Postby imsoevil » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:07 pm

Who's experienced with securing large installations on the playa against wind?

We have an 8ftx8ftx8ft polycarbonate cube. Figuring out how many/ how long rebars we'll need.

For technical reasons we're actually going to use 12,18, or 24 inch long 1/2" thick galvanized screws that we are going to pound/screw into the ground. So they should actually grip a bit better then rebar.

if you want to really geek out here are some figures:
The weight of the cube is about 1360 lb.
I'm calculating max wind load of 2369 lb at 85 mph to be safe (in 1999 72 mph was recorded) including gust factor.
Only half of the weight will help against tilting over, so we need to secure against another approx. 1700 lb of pulling force.

How many and what minimum length of the ground screws should I use?

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Re: How many/how long stakes for art installation?

Postby Tiahaar » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:49 pm

32 x 24" lag screws at one foot spacing around perimeter
Burning Man 2003-15; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Starship Palomino

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: How many/how long stakes for art installation?

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:00 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Building & Making Art board, since that's a better fit. I know people stake stuff down at camp too, but there are a lot of different considerations when it comes to free-standing structures in the open or deep playa (versus structures within the city itself). It's probably also worth noting than an 8' cube will likely also have the additional weight/mass of people climbing on it and wiggling things back and forth to consider.

Return to “Building & Making Art”