Transporting an art piece to the playa -- can we just use our truck?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
guitarrista
Burning Since: 2018

Transporting an art piece to the playa -- can we just use our truck?

Post by guitarrista » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi! We are trying to build an art piece to the playa this year ... it will be ~ 4' by 4' by 4' and weight ~50 lbs. It will be registered with ARTery. I am wondering if we can drive use our pickup truck (not a registered mutant vehicle) to drop off the art piece on the playa, and then pick it up after the burn. If its not possible, does anyone know of a camp/folks that might helps us out with something like that? Thanks yall.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Re: Transporting an art piece to the playa -- can we just use our truck?

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:42 pm

Artery should be able to help you with this question. Shoot them and email. It's common to see artists vehicles at the site of their art when they are setting up and tearing down.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:18 pm

guitarrista wrote:Hi! We are trying to build an art piece to the playa this year ... it will be ~ 4' by 4' by 4' and weight ~50 lbs. It will be registered with ARTery. I am wondering if we can drive use our pickup truck (not a registered mutant vehicle) to drop off the art piece on the playa, and then pick it up after the burn. If its not possible, does anyone know of a camp/folks that might helps us out with something like that? Thanks yall.
That is how most artists do it. During setup (early entry before gate opens) artists will just drive their rental van out there and start building. Same for after the event during teardown. I'm not sure if you're technically supposed to get a driving pass during those times, but I've never seen anyone busted for it.

But DURING the event, if you require use of a vehicle for art support (driving fuel and materials out there in the middle of the week) you must register that vehicle and get a sticker for it.

Sorry there doesn't seem to be a great link to explain exactly what you need to do...I looked! Confusion understandable in this case, if you have never been on the playa involved with an art project before.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:34 am

Once you've finished your on-playa registration, you will be issued a driving pass/sticker for your vehicle if one is needed. It will be specific to that particular day. LEO can be pretty thick pre event and WILL ticket you for driving without a pass. It's easy to go over the 5mph limit. Be careful.

guitarrista
Burning Since: 2018

Post by guitarrista » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:09 am

Sweet, thanks for all the responses. I also contacted ARTery and they said exactly what Just_Joe did.

Return to “Building & Making Art”