Lighting Up Art

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
jc

Lighting Up Art

Post by jc » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:08 pm

I'm interested in illuminating a lrg sculpture on the playa. What power sources have you noticed are being used (solar, fuel generators, long extension cords)? Maybe direct me to someone/where.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:05 pm

Why? Which one do you keep running into?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

robotland

Re: Lighting Up Art

Post by robotland » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:16 am

jc wrote:I'm interested in illuminating a lrg sculpture on the playa. What power sources have you noticed are being used (solar, fuel generators, long extension cords)? Maybe direct me to someone/where.
For daytime illumination you may want to experiment with a fusion source; Make sure to keep it at a safe distance- Say, 93,000,000 miles or so. At NIGHT, it depends on whether you want to prevent people from crashing into it, as Bob indicated, or you want to light it up artwise. LEDs and EL wire are very thrifty on energy, but it takes a lot of them to really light something up. A coupla 12V batteries and some low-wattage outdoor spots and floods'll do to highlight a project, and you won't have to feed a generator or bug people with the noise and stink. Guess we'd need the specs to help more.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

trocar

Post by trocar » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:52 pm

For daytime illumination you may want to experiment with a fusion source; Make sure to keep it at a safe distance- Say, 93,000,000 miles or so.
Oh man, that was good.

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:35 pm

trocar wrote:
For daytime illumination you may want to experiment with a fusion source; Make sure to keep it at a safe distance- Say, 93,000,000 miles or so.
Oh man, that was good.
Yeah! Spot on!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:21 pm

JC: don't let the posts elsewhere fool you; they're just joking with you as punishment for crossposting. There are evenly spaced outlets for the electrical grid, and you should have no trouble getting a position for your piece near a connection. Just make sure to request a spot near a power source when you register your piece of art, and the Artery will take care of the rest for you. You wll want to bring a fairly long extension cord, though, maybe as much as twenty feet long. Can't wait to see it!
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:23 pm

For daytime illumination you may want to experiment with a fusion source; Make sure to keep it at a safe distance-
Contact me for shielding info. We'll probably start with basic 10th thickness rule. Rates go up if I have to plug in Monte Carlo calculations. Unless you're setting up right next to a raver camp we'll also have to consider thermalizing the neutrons to dose reduction.

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:19 am

...and you'll still want that tinfoil codpiece and beanie.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

jc

cross posting

Post by jc » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:17 am

Is cross posting like cross dressing :lol: ? Thank you for being tolerent of my poor form and misspelling. I do like the tin foil hat idea.

robotland

Re: cross posting

Post by robotland » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:54 am

jc wrote:Is cross posting like cross dressing :lol: ?
It is around here!!!
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Bob

Post by Bob » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:54 am

Oh, and please don't trouble yourself to tell us what exactly you're lighting up and why.

jc

Post by jc » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:10 pm

I'm wanting to light a large interactive sculpture, a giant toy really. It's a 16'x16' maze that a couple of people will manipulate a bowling ball through. Outlining it w/ el wire is the most appealing idea to me at this point. Perhaps at large strob on top to attract attention from far far away in space. I'm still in the model building stage and may not make it to 2005. My hopes are to keep making it bigger each year, say 2 million feet in diameter. :shock:

Bob

Post by Bob » Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:50 pm

My guess is you're likely to need your own generator to have enough light to operate at night, but with efficient LED lighting you might get away with a couple of big 12-volt batteries. If the piece is part of an Esplanade theme camp you can run a buried cord out from the camp area, otherwise you need to figure out how to lock everything down. The image gallery and the art installation sections on the main site have links to people's web sites describing their projects, and would be a source on who to contact on how to deal with similar projects. Also search around for "AEZ" (alternative energy zone) on the main site, and email the art department for advice and contacts.

kampkalamazoo

Post by kampkalamazoo » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:09 pm

Might be cool to light it with UV paint and blacklight flouro tubes.
Robotland's Alter Ego

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:22 am

kampkalamazoo wrote:Might be cool to light it with UV paint and blacklight flouro tubes.
...and expensive.

Not to mention the lovely amount of broken fluroescent lamp MOOP when someone crashes into the tubes... because shit does happen.
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:30 am

Eh. With a moderate effort you can protect the tubes from contact. It would be more efficient, requiring less power to get an adequate lighting effect.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:38 am

Ranger Genius wrote:Eh. With a moderate effort you can protect the tubes from contact. It would be more efficient, requiring less power to get an adequate lighting effect.
True, but it would depend on the structure they had in mind.

One bust 4' fluroescent tube makes a hell of a mess. Lost count of how many times I had to rescue mine, and I only had two of them plus I only had them up at night--not to mention the wear and tear on the fixtures themselves.

Guess they need to figure out exactly what they want before we blather on much further...

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:25 pm

Zane5100 wrote: Guess they need to figure out exactly what they want before we blather on much further...
What, you have some sort of usefullness fetish going on?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Zane5100

Post by Zane5100 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:29 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Zane5100 wrote: Guess they need to figure out exactly what they want before we blather on much further...
What, you have some sort of usefullness fetish going on?
heh.

jc

MOVING

Post by jc » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:49 pm

Hey all lets move this to "General Discusion-Lighting up art" I made the mistake of crosposting. Sorry. please come over I like you ideas.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:33 am

jc--if you contact admin they can move combine the threads where you ask.

I think. Just be polite.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Building & Making Art”