How can I wire buttons to cameras for art installation?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
LucksFortune
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Naked Rainbow

How can I wire buttons to cameras for art installation?

Postby LucksFortune » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:53 pm

I'm building an art installation and part of the design is a big button that people can press to record their session in the booth. I'm planning on using small, cheap cameras, and the booth has wooden walls, so I can mount pretty much anything. It's very important that the only time the camera records is when someone presses the button (consent is sexy amirite?). Any suggestions/advice?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Re: How can I wire buttons to cameras for art installation?

Postby BBadger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:05 pm

You should figure out what cheap camera you intend on using first.

Then you can worry about taking it apart and wiring the shutter or record button to a larger external switch.

I'll add to that: for the button itself, you should probably purchase an arcade push-button (e.g. these or these). They're made for pressing in abusive environments and are easy to mount into panels.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:14 pm

I would search for DIY video photo booth. One approach is to build the whole thing with Raspberry Pi parts. You can read a mechanical button with debounce code.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

LucksFortune
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Naked Rainbow

Postby LucksFortune » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:46 pm

Oh wow thanks! That's super helpful! I never even considered a DIY photo booth and those buttons are a good call too. Looks like I get to teach myself some raspberry pi now :)

PanMan
Burning Since: 2017

Postby PanMan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:43 pm

What do you want to make happen with the pic/video afterwards?
I have made a few installations that included a camera, but it mostly depends on what you want to do next.
If you "only" want to take and save the pics/video, its probably easiest (and best for image quality) to use a standalone camera and fake a remote control. There are simple arduino scripts that can fake a camera remote (over IR), and for many camera's you can also create a cable with a button to set it to record.
If you want to do more with the images, you either want to go with a raspberry, but they have less picture quality than a simple standalone cam (as they use cheap webcam sensors). Or you can control some camera's over USB from a computer or raspberry.
Send me a message if you have specific questions I can help with.

Return to “Building & Making Art”