ARCHITECTURE

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
lucreziacalvi
Burning Since: 2018

ARCHITECTURE

Postby lucreziacalvi » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi! My name is Lucrezia, I’m an Italian Architecture student and I chose to develop my thesis on an Architecture/Art Installation at Burning Man.

I was wondering if you could please give me an Autocad DWG (or any other program) file about Black Rock City so I can get a more clear view about the dimension of the area.

Thanks so much!

Jackass

Re: ARCHITECTURE

Postby Jackass » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:25 pm

Here you go

I hope this helps!!
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

lucreziacalvi

Postby lucreziacalvi » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:37 pm

that's very kind of you but i'm looking for a DWG file (or similar) so I can have the exact dimensions.. thanks anyways :)

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:24 pm

Welcome to ePlaya!

If you search for Black Rock City plan 2017 you can find a .pdf. There are free .pdf to .dwg converters. It lists some dimensions so you can scale it. This is interesting: https://octothorpe.club/wp-content/uplo ... ll-map.jpg.

You could also email placement@Burningman.org. They are busy and tired, so they may be slow or not respond at all.

https://journal.burningman.org/2010/04/ ... rock-city/ The original designer passed away in 2011, but not before doing an early design for Fly Ranch. There are quite a few articles around about the city design.

There are some architect, designer, planner, academics camps today, just search.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:59 pm

lucreziacalvi wrote:Hi! My name is Lucrezia, I’m an Italian Architecture student and I chose to develop my thesis on an Architecture/Art Installation at Burning Man.

I was wondering if you could please give me an Autocad DWG (or any other program) file about Black Rock City so I can get a more clear view about the dimension of the area.

Thanks so much!

Unless you have been to BM, I would suggest changing your thesis or committing to it after you go and bring a quality GPS to log the information yourself.

I doubt you will find any authoritative documents like a CAD file, but with a great deal of research, you can find lots of proxy data that can be assembled to form a better picture.

Ideas: GPS maps, BLM closure order, the iBurn app, etc.

It won't be easy and no one here will do your thesis for you. Get busy researching.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:17 pm

torrey.smith
Camp Name: Sextant

Postby torrey.smith » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Here is some required reading.

Sextant is extremely honored to be featured in this book.
Sarge

lucreziacalvi

Postby lucreziacalvi » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:41 am

thanks a lot guys! i'll draw it my self than and I'll post it so if anyone might need it, it'll be easy to find! see you soon

lucreziacalvi

SANDSTORMS

Postby lucreziacalvi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:37 am

hi guys!

does anyone know how sandstorms work in the Black Rock Desert? I mean, from which direction do they come from and so on? I'm doing a study about that!
thanks a lot

Bless

Re: SANDSTORMS

Postby Bless » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:51 am

lucreziacalvi wrote:does anyone know how sandstorms work in the Black Rock Desert? I mean, from which direction do they come from and so on? I'm doing a study about that!

Why don't you go study it, then?
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

lucreziacalvi

Postby lucreziacalvi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:05 am

because that's exactly what I'm doing but since there are thousands of things i need to know about, i thought someone could join me to do so.. isn't it the principle of Burning Man? community? I'm trying to develop a structure that takes care of all the aspects of Black Rock City and a site and the Burning Man as a pop-up city in terms of community

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:17 am

There is a thread in EPlaya that has all the science on that topic plus sun angles, azimuth etc.

Please search.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78496&p=1121908&hilit=Azimuth#p1138417

Very nice drawings explaining things and sexy maps.

Read the whole thread and see community action at work.

Remember we will not do your homework for you so save the questions for items not easily found.

oxygen
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Déjà View

Postby oxygen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:47 am

lucreziacalvi wrote:because that's exactly what I'm doing but since there are thousands of things i need to know about, i thought someone could join me to do so.. isn't it the principle of Burning Man? community? I'm trying to develop a structure that takes care of all the aspects of Black Rock City and a site and the Burning Man as a pop-up city in terms of community

Hello Lucreziacalvi, always nice to welcome someone on playa interested by the phenomenon of BRC. The city is complex and diverse, in perpetual flux, it need some some time to get used to it, get your bearings and settle down. If you want to have a pretty good view of the city, get a strong expresso, sit back and go visit thisisblackrockcity.blogspot http://thisisblackrockcity.blogspot.com, this blog is going to keep busy till tomorrow. Welcome Home.

global village idiot

Postby global village idiot » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:39 pm

Land surveyor by profession here.

Not intending to bring any instruments more complicated than a box sextant, good compass and rangefinder monocular; however, if there was a project someone was interested in pursuing, I might be persuaded to bring a few things or have them shipped forward.

gvi

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: SANDSTORMS

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:59 am

lucreziacalvi wrote:hi guys!

does anyone know how sandstorms work in the Black Rock Desert? I mean, from which direction do they come from and so on? I'm doing a study about that!
thanks a lot

Well you must not be studying very hard.
You need SAND for a sandstorm, and since there is no sand, there aren't any sandstorms.

I'd like to see all those people riding bicycles in sand...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:53 pm

Doing students' homework for them is not one of the principles. It also reads like you haven't done any legwork at all for your study.

People are going to be a lot more responsive to helping you out if you actually do some work and then come back with specific questions and requests for assistance.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Building & Making Art”