Need Sources for Lightweight Sculpture Materials.

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
synchronicity

Need Sources for Lightweight Sculpture Materials.

Post by synchronicity » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:50 pm

I tried the search, and got no hits. Perhaps I do not know the right keywords. I seek a material that can be "foamed" onto a support structure. After hardening, if could be shaped, smoothed and painted.
It will need to be able to withstand desert heat, UV, and be resistant to fragmentation.
(No styrofoam MOOP). Ideally, it would not be too toxic to work with.
Or too flammable when dry.
Does anyone know what I'm looking for?
If that fails, large blocks of a material which could be sculpted - and meet the same criteria would would be of interest.
"I never know when I'm on the road to oblivion, I only know when I arrive."

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:45 pm

Have you looked at ""Model Magic" by Crayola? It meets many of your criteria.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:09 pm

This stuff? http://www.fomofoam.com/

Try Googling 'spray foam insulation'

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:17 am

I like playing with GREAT STUFF (or is it just GOOD STUFF?) spray foam insulting gack....just about all synthfoamygoo compounds are somehow environmentally nasty, and crumbly too unless you get the expensive Hollywood crap and the hardener like they use on "Monster House", but you can abate the crumblies a little by wrapping the foam with palate film or papier mache' or the like.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

isantis

Post by isantis » Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:26 pm

The best resource that I know of for materials for sculptors is Douglas & Sturgess in San Francisco. They specialize in supplies for sculptors & prop makers. Their website is EXTREMELY informative. http://www.artstuf.com/

If you are in the Bay Area, don't miss making a trip to the store, so you can get an in-person consultation for the best materials for your project. You can also check out their samples to get a really good idea of what the finished product would be like. Good luck!

cadaver

hmm

Post by cadaver » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:50 pm

ifI knew where you were I could help alittle better. I use that expensive hollywood stuff all the time.

synchronicity

Post by synchronicity » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:06 pm

Southwest Colorado.

Vego

Post by Vego » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:14 pm

It's kinda spendy in name brands and I don't know if it's toxic but we use it in the sign business a lot and it's a terrific sculpting product that lasts 20 years outdoors. Name brands are Sign Foam and Precsion Board but it's just High Density Urethane. Sculpting it on site would produce a lot of moop though. Sorta like sawdust but more abrasive and MUCH less biodegradable.
If your not having a good day,
You're taking too much for granted!

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:19 am

Does this project require mass? Is it meant to be climbed on? Otherwise, perhaps a lighter framework with fabric could be used to create volume.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:43 pm

Whatever you do, put down dropcloths or tarps and sweep up frequently to prevent windblown debris. When you're spraying or shaving I'd suggest getting up early in the morning to avoid having material blow around in the afternoon wind, which often starts up at noon. Try out your methods before you hit the playa to anticipate how the wind, sun, and stoned participants could fuck up the structure.

Every year people do installations they think are a great idea -- not that yours isn't -- using materials that flake off, drop off, scatter, and blow all over the place, or get half-buried in dust dunes until DPW finds them during cleanup -- eg turf, bushes, logs with bark, green bamboo, wood chips, little wood blocks, glitter, gravel, old styrofoam, feathers, fake fur, flocking, tinsel, loose paper, flaky paint, etc. The funded art piece last year that used giant plastic baggies had punchouts that dropped off all around installation. Paint, too -- DPW often has to clean up after alleged artists who think nothing about leaving paint drips on the playa.

Might consider doing the sculpting and paint prep at home, with an eye to breaking down the structure into segments that would pack and reassemble easily.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

synchronicity

Post by synchronicity » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:02 pm

Actually, I am working on a mutant vehicle idea. It will be completely built at home. I want to weld up a supporting framework, foam and shape it, modify as necessary, finish and paint, and hope that it does not disintegrate en route. Yes it may be climbed or stepped upon.

Return to “Building & Making Art”