Any camp to host this LED installation?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
najiglass
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: None yet!

Any camp to host this LED installation?

Post by najiglass » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:37 pm

I just built this LED structure (9 feet tall) and would love to place it in a camp for people to play with.

It's my first burning man so I need some help :)
- Getting the structure there, from SF (it can disassembled into 4 parts 48x48inches each). It's fairly lightweight and holds on a wooden rod.
- Grid/generator to plug it to.

Any camp would be interested?
I'd love to help any other art projects that need TouchDesigner programming!

IMG_2944.jpg
IMG_2947.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Any camp to host this LED installation?

Post by trilobyte » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:03 pm

That looks interesting, but also from the video it appears to be quite frail. Has the piece been ruggedized to be able to withstand high winds? Or impact from an impaired person who may stumble into the pretty lights? It might also be worth mentioning what kind of power requirements the piece has, and whether or not you'd also be able to provide extension cords to get power from the host camp's generator to the installation.

You may want to consider joining a camp and discussing with that camp's leadership the possibility of installing the piece there, and also the logistics of hauling it there and back again. That way you can be closer to the installation for technical support as well as cleanup (hopefully nothing gets MOOPy off the piece, but you'd need to clean up the area surrounding the installation).

I hope you're able to make a connection, I'd like to see that thing on the playa once it's up.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:43 pm

That’s cool. Really cool.
But yeah... Burning Man is pretty much a “do-ocracy”. Showing up with the “fun” part but not having done anything for the “work” part (logistics... power, transportation, etc.) except asking someone else to provide for you isn’t really how it’s supposed to work.

Well... it didn’t used to be that way...

I do hope it works out. That thing is going to add to the night vibe Burning Man is known for. Burning Man does need guys like you. Good on ya’ for building something awesome and not just being a spectator!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

najiglass

Post by najiglass » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:25 pm

Thanks guys! To clarify I'm mostly interested in joining a camp to help with any installations that they have (both for building it and for touchdesigner programming), but I also wanted to contribute by bringing something.

I can do most of the work for this piece, what I'm missing is the knowledge about what it takes to have such an installation on-site, which is why I'm reaching out to the community. It also feels like it makes more sense to share resources than for everyone to have a generator for such a small piece.

About the structure:
- I do need to transfer it to a much more solid material, this one is a prototype for the structure only. I'd love to hear about other people's experiences with lightweight materials and how to deal with the wind, though I do expect to have to figure it out by myself.
- The piece draws on average 400 watts, up to 1000.
- I can bring extension cords, I just need to know the length.
- For transport, I'm not sure what makes more sense, I can get a pickup truck but given that the piece isn't that big I was thinking it makes more sense to send it with the other stuff the camp is transporting (and obviously contributing monetarily) .

If that doesn't work out, I'll just help other people build their art and learn from that, and bring something solid next year!

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:33 pm

I might have an idea.
As long as you do all the work and require nothing from a camp other than a small spot...
Sent you a pm.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Figuring out what will hold up to the environment on Playa is a long winded challenge. I've been 14 burns and I am still learning about structures and what does and doesn't work even in my stogy old ways.

You want to let the wind go through it is what I think. A mixture of a hardened structure and just the parts that light up. If wood is your medium --- doughnuts of 3/4' plywood with larger dimensional lumber behind them. It's a balance of securing the structure and wind hardiness. Also there is the occasional overly investigatory person as mentioned before that purposely or inadvertently gets too close up. Metal would be spaced and joined hoops I think with a hardened spine to attach it to a pole to be sunk in the ground or attached to wide feet that are held down to the Playa. Attaching it securely to the Playa is really important. One nice part is that from the front the light will probably overwhelm the features of whatever structural backing you use.... The structural backing will all get covered in dust and blend in.

It's really hard to get a grasp on the environment out there if you haven't been before. Do a bit of research as you probably have been doing and make a bunch of best guesses.

Just getting your art up on Playa is a major success. Anything after that is gold.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:01 pm

If the backing of those strips is solid, it'll really catch the wind and it'll start flapping and bending and all kinds of problems. You'll need to have it mounted somewhere where it is protected. That wooden rod is probably insufficient to keep your piece from getting wind blasted and thrown about. You'll want it fixed at many different points to a solid structure.

That looks like a cool project, but be aware that the playa is going to coat those strips and everything else with a terrible mess that is a total pain to wipe off and clean. You'll also need your electronics to be relatively sealed, and there will be corrosion and other problems as well. I don't know how attached you are to your hardware, but often stuff gets wrecked. I'm seriously considering not bringing some of my stuff to the playa anymore because it is just too much effort and cost to have it damaged each year and need to be cleaned off over and over.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

najiglass

Post by najiglass » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:11 pm

Got in touch with the Tree of life guys to collaborate on it, thanks for the advice guys!
See you at the playa :)

Return to “Building & Making Art”