Asphalt imitation on Playa

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
kirillivanov
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Invisible Pink Unicorns

Asphalt imitation on Playa

Post by kirillivanov » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi everyone!
Our camp is bringing The Intersection art project which is real-size intersection with traffic lights, signs, bus stop etc. (https://www.facebook.com/theintersectionart/). We shipped it from Russia in container, but unfortunatelly it have been stuck at customs and not going to arrive before August 31st.

Initially we planned to use heavy duty pressesd rubber blocks (1.5x1.5 ft) as an imitation of asphalt, but as they stuck in container we are thinking of using something else. We can buy something similar in the US, but ours were super-dense custom made, and we worry that if we buy regular ones, they going to fall apart creating enormous amount of moop. So we looking for substitutes.

As one of ideas were to use rubber in rolls, it is looks good, but it is thin and requires flat surface underneath. So I thought about putting plywood on Playa with this rubber on top.

I have several quesiton regarding this:
1. what is the best way to create plywood road imitation on Playa? How to fix plywood to ground?
2. any ideas of how thick plywood should be to not break under mutant vehicle?
3. any other thoughts of how to imitate asphalt - we are talking about crossing of 5 meters (16ft) wide and 15 meters (48 ft) long roads.

Thanks in advance,
Kirill

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Asphalt imitation on Playa

Post by Ratty » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:53 pm

Boy, this makes you think. How heavy is the heaviest MV that could cross this intersection? does it weigh a shit load or a fuck ton? The slightest irregularity underneath the plywood and it will crack. Then you have the dreaded wood splinter moop. I would have to go with no ground covering. Just because I can't think of any that will stay put and that's a whole other problem.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:30 pm

Without having official knowledge of this, my guess is that you can't cover over a street used by the public. All the other ideas sound awesome. If this covering is done within the borders of your camp, it would be much more acceptable as an art project.
As a thought, you could make a working bike path through your camp, and do all those great things within the borders.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:19 pm

I gather from your page that this a project placed out in the playa?

I'm with Ratty, I think you just find thick rubber something and roll it out and *somehow* stake it down.

Also, good on you for still realizing the Art even though your poor container is trapped in customs.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Grrrr. Double post. 8)
Last edited by gaminwench on Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:21 pm

The water trucks would be up to 20 tons. They go down every major street at least once a day. The strongest geotextile fabric you could find industrially in a big city might be an approach. But that could sink into the mud on a watered street with traffic and be impossible to retrieve. If it starts to tear it will be one of the greatest moop disasters in history. The other concern is that geotextile fabric may not have the greatest UV inhibiters since it's meant to be buried. So it could fall apart in the sun.

I'm with Sham, you probably should be in intensive negotiations with the Artery.

In past years, there was a lot of interactivity with performers in bright coveralls, reflective vests, uniforms, badges, hard hats, whistles, megaphones, traffic citations, hand-held stop signs and traffic cones managing intersections. Maybe you could supplement what you have with that idea, which can also pop up anywhere on the playa.

Customs is its own performance art in a way!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:26 pm

Rather than create imitation asphalt, how about an illusion of imitation asphalt?

You could ask all visitors to drink 4 beers in less than 5 minutes, then they can just whizz in the intersection and make it look dark!

Or have water trucks on schedule water the installation for a few days.

After that it will be like whatever and stuff.

Token

Post by Token » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:33 pm

kirillivanov wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:55 pm

As one of ideas were to use rubber in rolls, it is looks good, but it is thin and requires flat surface underneath. So I thought about putting plywood on Playa with this rubber on top.

Thanks in advance,
Kirill
Komrad Kirill,

The Black Rock Deset Playa is one of the flattest places on the planet Earth.

Bring your rubbers and it will be flat.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:34 pm

Please don't take this the wrong way, but untested alternatives sounds like a really really terrible idea. If the installation is meant to be used as an intersection by mutant vehicles, there isn't really any telling how well your material will hold up under the massive weight of fully loaded vehicles. Bits that come off are MOOP, and materials that aren't properly secured can easily take flight (in a fierce dust storm, I've even seen pieces of plywood getting blown around out in deep playa).

You should be getting in touch with the ARTery to update them on the project, as well as to seek their guidance for alternatives & securing the new design.

Good luck!

kirillivanov

Post by kirillivanov » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:19 pm

Sham wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:30 pm
Without having official knowledge of this, my guess is that you can't cover over a street used by the public. All the other ideas sound awesome. If this covering is done within the borders of your camp, it would be much more acceptable as an art project.
As a thought, you could make a working bike path through your camp, and do all those great things within the borders.
Hi! We have placement for out art object at 01:30 and 2000, not talking about covering public roads or camp territory.

kirillivanov

Post by kirillivanov » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:21 pm

Token wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:33 pm
kirillivanov wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Thanks in advance,
Kirill
Komrad Kirill,

The Black Rock Deset Playa is one of the flattest places on the planet Earth.

Bring your rubbers and it will be flat.
Thanks! Talked to Art Support - they also recommend to use rubber on Playa rather than have plywood beneath.

kirillivanov

Post by kirillivanov » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:25 pm

gaminwench wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:19 pm
I gather from your page that this a project placed out in the playa?

I'm with Ratty, I think you just find thick rubber something and roll it out and *somehow* stake it down.

Also, good on you for still realizing the Art even though your poor container is trapped in customs.
Thanks for support! After consulting with Art Support, I tend towards using rubber in rolls, like in gym, and stake it down with rebars. Going to test it and see how it works.

Token

Post by Token » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi Kirill,

Maybe use 12 inch nail spike like this

It has a nail-head to better hold down the rubber and can be ponded in flat with the surface.

Other option would be big lag bolts or screws but they cost more and there is the big metal hex part that would make a bump on the rubber.

Or

The second one can be made flush but is expensive. It does look real good. I use them on my farm.

Return to “Building & Making Art”