Storage container as art, placed in deep playa?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
mrchiff
Burning Since: 1999

Re: Storage container as art, placed in deep playa?

Post by mrchiff » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:52 am

The short version is that if it is part of org related shipping container program it will get dropped at an assigned city street location where a camp would camp. If it were going to be dropped in open playa that location would need to be assigned and marked. There is no way HEAT is going to just drop a container in a random location on open playa.

If you were able to get your own shipping container to the city and forklifted off the transpo trailer onto the open playa area without any engagement with the Artery, you can be damn sure it will be relocated to a place you would not prefer - and if it was able to fit up your ass that would be the first place they would try.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:03 am

Bottom Line:

Yes, all this can be accomplished.

From my first-hand experiences building big-art on Playa, if you can dream it up, it can be done.

What it does require is a lot of back and forth with the right teams in the BORG by a person that is talented with interpersonal skills.

Sparr - you ain’t gifted with them skills. Not a put-down, just reality.

If you want to be successful with a project of this scale, find a partner that can do the negotiations with the various groups and manage the process. A partner with flair for this type of thing, bonus if they did big art before.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:21 am

(Just go for it and be prepared to fail)
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

sparr
Burning Since: 2015

Post by sparr » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:48 pm

Ratty wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:01 pm
Also the roadside of Esplanade would be full of people's creations.
Last I checked, camps with Esplanade placement also "own" the far side of Esplanade. I can't remember how far, maybe 50-100ft? The first year I went to ARTery for on-site art registration they filled me in on those details, and I ended up putting my art along Esplanade across from one of the radial roads, where it wasn't in a placed camp's spot.
Ratty wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:06 pm
I keep meaning to ask. What are you going to do with the container after you buy it? And, how far down are you on the waiting list to get one?
I'm not on the list. I just recently thought of this, and the list isn't open right now. I'll get on the list when it opens up again, which I guess means I'm effectively about 3 years down the list right now? I passed up a chance to "share" an existing container that was being let go; if that came up again it would speed things up.

I mentioned below, my plan is to do a cold environment with some sort of ice art theme.
If you want to make a reply about my personality instead of about what this thread is about, don't clutter this thread, post over here instead.

homo ardentum
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp Carnivore

Post by homo ardentum » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:07 pm

I work at the artery...swing by and ask for Rocket. We’ll have a chat and get you in touch with all the right folks.

Or not...

Return to “Building & Making Art”