Tower for mounting LED art up high?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
Capinator
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: SpaceHole

Tower for mounting LED art up high?

Post by Capinator » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:50 am

Hi all - how are people mounting their LED sculptures up high - like the "H" for camp Hardly? Are those Ham Radio Towers? How do you secure the base?

Thanks!

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Re: Tower for mounting LED art up high?

Post by Traveller in Time » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:57 pm

Use stays or shrouds to keep the structure upright. Use a sufficient sturdy beam or plate as bottom.

For a single LED a fishing rod may suffice. Some use professional truss structures for more heavy works.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:21 pm

One solution is a variation on https://burningman-burningmanparticipan ... nna%20mast. Unless your system is powered with batteries with pvc mast sections and you bring it down to replace them, you are going to have a metal support, metal guy lines or metal wires from your LEDs to the ground.

Lighting seeks the highest conductor to ground and is capable of fatal destruction in your camp.

Wireless crisscrosses the playa to provide some important infrastructure, like emergency services. If you block one of those, you may be asked to take down your tower.

The other approach is a tethered helium balloon, which you may need to take in with wind.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:55 pm

We used to have a tower.
It was Rohn radio tower. We had 40 feet. Anchored the base with rebar and tan guy lines to secure it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:14 pm

How large, how high?

A fibre-glass/aluminum paint roller extension pole may work.

I got an 8'-16' for a flag & strobe light. A wood pole was trimmed to fit in the bottom (a foot and a bit?), with a tiny 1/4" taper at its top, so it wouldn't have a hard edge to load the fibreglass. Then I could drill through the pole & wood to have holes to secure the base without breaking the pole under load. Bolts could be used, but the wind load of the pole & flag was trivial, so I used nylon ties. The weight of the wood base was more than enough to hold this in the wind. In 2010, there were longer, 20' (and 24'?) at the Home Depot in Reno where I got this.

If tall enough, and strong enough to take the wind load of what you want to put up it, a wood base can easily be made and attached to the playa with lag-bolts. The pole at chest height (or higher) on a wood base for more pole height.

With the right pole and base, you could get up to 30'. But that had better be a light wind profile.

Here is the 16', not fully extended.
On edge of playa art area sm.jpg
120 qt. cooler support.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Canoe on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:52 pm

We had one of those 30ft Rohn towers that was held in place in the middle with deep stakes and then had guylines around it. They're not that hard to transport or set up, and not too expensive. Tall, but not super tall.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Capinator
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: SpaceHole

Post by Capinator » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:56 am

Thanks everyone. Rohn or similar is what I found in my research as well. Thanks for the confirmation!

Return to “Building & Making Art”