I'd like to put a team together for a project...

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
Triptych
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: None yet...

I'd like to put a team together for a project...

Post by Triptych » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:19 am

I'm new at this, but I think I have a worthy idea for a fire related installation (hopefully) for the next burn.
To make it happen I would need:

1. A video game hardware hacker
2. A video game software hacker
3. An expert in fast acting gas valves and controls
4. Once the planning is done, some direction in seeking some funding help for prototyping and construction (I believe the concept should be sufficiently compelling to earn it.)

Anyone with any of these elements to offer and some interest in possible collaboration, please reach out to me for some conversation.

Many thanks all...

Triptych

Sham

Re: I'd like to put a team together for a project...

Post by Sham » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:06 am

Welcome to eplaya! Maybe tell us a bit about yourself to help bring your ambitions and first visit to Black Rock City to reality.
Also, can you provide some specifics about your project to help motivate strangers to join in on the creation.
For the most part, Burning Man is considered a do-ocracy--meaning that people who come up with amazing ideas, pull them together with their own creativity. You could lead a group of people on a build, but you would be a big part of it.
I hope you get a chance to read up on the Survival Guide and First Timers Guide in the links below.
Good luck and we'll see you in the dust in August.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:03 am

Yes. Do tell us things like where you live etc...
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:56 am

I’m just gonna drop it straight, this comes across like a zillion others before: “I’ve got this super awesome idea that I’m not telling anything about, that I want other people to build and pay for”.

The cool shit gets built by people who can do.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:34 am

This isn't going to be installed in an Airbus 380 that you bring to the playa is it?
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:02 pm

As others have said Burning Man is a Do-ocracy. I think a realistic place to start is you doing or making provisions for 80% of the beginning phases of the project. Once you prove it can work then think about on boarding funding and build help. There are some great collective things at Burning Man but it's really surprising how many of those great things hinge on one great leader, designer, maker, worker and visionary. Your comment about prototyping might throw some people off. In general this community builds all their own prototypes hands on. FWIW. In general though I really think you should go for it. If you lead the way and have a really bad-ass idea or new idea people will want to help but after you have done the solid foundation building.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:28 pm

This --> --> --> "...If you lead the way and have a really bad-ass idea or new idea people will want to help but after you have done the solid foundation building."
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Triptych wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:19 am

1. A video game hardware hacker
2. A video game software hacker
3. An expert in fast acting gas valves and controls

Dance Dance Immolation!

It was a gas! Legendary.

It got retired in 2013 when the creators dropped a piano on it.

Sorry, your too late.

Here is a bit on what Ian did to bring DDI to life amongst his many many awesome projects.

https://www.raindrift.com/art/ddi/

My roles have included:

Initial concept and naming
Funding and budget management
Fuel system and flame effect design & fabrication
Dance pad design and fabrication
A/V
Safety system design
Regulatory compliance
Domestic and international logistics
Crew training and coordination

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:18 am

Triptych wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:19 am
I'm new at this,
Another thing that's recommended for first timers, is to come to the playa to see and enjoy all it has to offer. Bring an open mind and a spirit of adventure. Prepare for things by reading up, then make the journey.
Once you get a feel and a lay of the land, then you will have inspiration and hopefully some great new contacts for building your art installation. Without a feel for the event, your art project may fall short of what you intend to bring to the community.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:37 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:56 am
I’m just gonna drop it straight, this comes across like a zillion others before: “I’ve got this super awesome idea that I’m not telling anything about, that I want other people to build and pay for”.

The cool shit gets built by people who can do.
Exactly. Idea people always seem to think "I have this great idea! Now go make it so." Nothing wrong with that except you don't really learn much. All the help you asked for can be learned. By you. And then the idea is all about you bringing it to life. Far better than just managing those who do. Good luck.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:42 am

Unless you’re Elon and can just mecenas your way around on your party barge ...

Wasn’t the 747 a rich brats culture jam??

Triptych
Burning Since: 2019
Camp Name: None yet...

Post by Triptych » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:28 am

(Apologies for the delay in responding. I’ve been struggling with a respiratory illness for a bit.)

Wow. Thanks for all the good input folks! And especially thanks for the straight talk. We only get a few spins around the sun to do what we dream with our lives and I’ve already squandered a good many…enough to make me not want to waste what few remain. I also hope to take this on in the true spirit and principles of Burning Man and appreciate your input very much in that vein as well.

Sham, Cap, I hear what you’re saying about personal commitment and involvement in a project someone wants to bring to the playa. In fact, I am planning on doing the vast majority of the build myself (or perhaps with the help of some local makers). But while I have a wide array of skills and knowledge gained over nearly 65 years and a number of careers, there are a few areas of expertise I most definitely lack, ergo my brief list. Now, to honor your requests, I should speak more to myself and the project concept.

I live a half-hour or so north of Seattle and have been to a number of Ignition events here in the years since I first heard of Burning Man and started dreaming of going to the playa. I’ve gotten so far as to read the Guides and make plans to join a friend who for some years has had a camp in BRC. They have, for the most part, been put aside owing to a series of family commitments, the latest of which is the daily care of my 97 year old, WWII vet father in law, who I’ve promised can draw his last breath in our home instead of some facility. In my already long life, I’ve have had a wide array of occupations/careers, starting with a Vietnam era stint in the Navy and including work in radio, motion picture production, motorcycle mechanics & electrical systems, IT (support, management, training, consulting), and some dabbling in real estate.

The project is to be an interactive pyric version of a simple physical game. While I’ll be quick to bow down and say “I am not worthy” in the face of the awesome scope of the DDI project Token mentioned, I can address Canoe’s concern, as the game I have in mind is old school and family friendly, unlike what we think of as video games today. The video game and gas valve expertise I’m seeking is to make sure the design of the interface and the portrayal of the action are well designed, and hopefully more efficient and effective than my limited knowledge in those areas would be likely to devise.

You do make a good point, Sham, in that it makes good sense to spend my first Burn taking it all in. (And over the last few years I have waded through the guides and FAQs a time or two…and promise I will again, if only to keep refilling that leaky brain of mine.) But the scope of what I’d like to do may well take me to 2020 to properly realize anyway and I would at least like to get a start on planning and design as soon as I reasonably can. So I’m hoping I can start some conversations with some folks with the expertise I know I lack to at least get my mental wheels spinning in the right direction.

I hope that this allays some of your concerns and maybe helps stir some interest. Thanks for giving me a chance to connect with you all about this old guy’s dreams and aspirations. I wish all of you all the best, and if you have any more valuable input, or know anyone I should connect with going forward, I welcome hearing about it!

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:35 am

Gas/flame control has turned up in a number of MVs or static displays that have come to the playa. Google, identify the projects, scour the pics & video, then reach out to them.

If you attend first, you can see and talk with them on the playa if you wait for an opening. You might even be able to watch/help with the maintance.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Building & Making Art”