Propane poofer accumulator question

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
mhenstell
Burning Since: 2011

Propane poofer accumulator question

Post by mhenstell » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:44 pm

Hi all,

I'd like to upgrade from my 1lb canister flame effect to a small 20lb tank poofer.

I'd like to keep things small - can I use a 1lb canister as an accumulator for (regulated) pressure from a larger tank?
Perhaps this is too small of an accumulator to even both, would I have any problem running directly off of regulated pressure without an accumulator?

I'm not going for massive fireball, just spurts that are maybe a bit larger than I can get from a 1lb tank.

Much appreciated.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Propane poofer accumulator question

Post by Token » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:16 pm

The idea of the accumulator is to have a pre-set volume of gas at a modest pressure that you can evacuate as fast as possible for the “poof” effect.

Without one, you basically get a weed burner torch you can pick up at any garden store for $20.

The key to all this is finding a high-volume, low resistance, fast actuation, propane rated solenoid. That’s the hard part.

Having a small accumulator will have the following effects:

The “poof” will be modest.
Rapid “poof” firing will not be practical.

IMO, it is much more practical to have a larger volume for the accumulator, say a 20#, and then do the sizing of the effect via pressure regulation, and a static valve to modulate the flow of evacuation of the gas.

mhenstell
Burning Since: 2011

Post by mhenstell » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:02 pm

I agree it would be better with a larger accumulator, I'm just a bit limited with space immediately near the nozzle. I could probably fit a 5lb tank close to the nozzle, but a 20lb tank accumulator would have to be a little farther (~8 feet from the nozzle or so). Any idea if this would still work or would this distance sort of defeat the purpose?

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:55 pm

mhenstell wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:02 pm
I agree it would be better with a larger accumulator, I'm just a bit limited with space immediately near the nozzle. I could probably fit a 5lb tank close to the nozzle, but a 20lb tank accumulator would have to be a little farther (~8 feet from the nozzle or so). Any idea if this would still work or would this distance sort of defeat the purpose?
the poof is all about volume. you can increase that, either by higher pressure, or more flow via larger diameter pipe to the igniter.
We ran non regulated pressure to an accumulator, then larger pipe to the ignition source. Also used an expansion cylinder at the source, to direct the concentrated gas past the hot surface igniter.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Building & Making Art”