Does a mobile propane fire pit need to be registered?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks for making installations of all sizes or making smaller pieces and jewelry.
trailh3ad
Burning Since: 2010

Does a mobile propane fire pit need to be registered?

Post by trailh3ad » Mon May 06, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi friends,

I am considering making a mobile campsite experience as an art project this year. My idea is to load up my pedal-powered bike trailer (max capacity 180 lbs) with a few logs, some short handmade wooden trees, and—hopefully—a portable propane fire pit like this:
I'd like to take this around and set it up in deep playa near wherever the best (to me) party is happening and offer a kind of wilderness camping experience. S'mores would then be possible.

The whole thing would be totally attended by me at all times and never left alone. It'd only ever be one in place for a few hours, then move on. The fire pit is a commercially made product, not improvised at all.

So, I have two questions:

1. Does this count as an art project that would need to be registered?

2. Would I need to register this as a flame effect? The intention of the propane stove would be to provide heat and light for weary travelers.

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.

love
Trailhead

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Re: Does a mobile propane fire pit need to be registered?

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon May 06, 2019 11:04 pm

According to my memory UL listed propane devices that are unaltered do not need to be registered or inspected but must be used properly per MFG instructions.

Make your setup moop free, wind resistant and go for it!
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue May 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Have you looked into how much fuel they use? You're going to need a big trailer.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue May 07, 2019 4:17 pm

The way you describe it, no and no.

1. If it is something you bring with you on your bike, then take back to camp when you are done - no need to register. If you leave it out there as an “installation”, then yes, register.

2. No, an unaltered “appliance” is good to go provided you operate per instructions.

Go for it!

trailh3ad
Burning Since: 2010

Post by trailh3ad » Wed May 08, 2019 9:02 am

Thanks so much for your insights! That's super exciting—sounds like I can just go for it. Hope to see y'all out there, come by for s'mores. )'(

Return to “Building & Making Art”