MV from go cart, can it tow a few passengers

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
Doglady Joolz
Burning Since: 1995

MV from go cart, can it tow a few passengers

Post by Doglady Joolz » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:24 am

So...I like to make stuff but I'm limited by money and ability to transport. I want to make a small gas powered mutant that looks crazy cool and can tow around a few people...what comes to mind are the little farm trains you see at carnivals they look like a tractor pulling cut in half drums on wheels...I realized I can't afford or transport a tractor...I wondered if using a go kart or atv as a base would allow for pulling at least a few passengers? Has anyone tried to pull or tow with a go cart? In reading other posts it seems I'll need to take it somewhere to have it "geared down" so it moves more slowly will this effect ability to pull? Sorry, if these questions are obvious to some... I'm big-time new to vehicles...

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Re: MV from go cart, can it tow a few passengers

Post by Popeye » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:05 pm

Doglady Joolz wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:24 am
So...I like to make stuff but I'm limited by money and ability to transport. I want to make a small gas powered mutant that looks crazy cool and can tow around a few people...what comes to mind are the little farm trains you see at carnivals they look like a tractor pulling cut in half drums on wheels...I realized I can't afford or transport a tractor...I wondered if using a go kart or atv as a base would allow for pulling at least a few passengers? Has anyone tried to pull or tow with a go cart? In reading other posts it seems I'll need to take it somewhere to have it "geared down" so it moves more slowly will this effect ability to pull? Sorry, if these questions are obvious to some... I'm big-time new to vehicles...
Check out this link: https://burningman.org/?s=mutant+vehicle

Because of DMV rules I think it would be difficult to tow with a four wheeler. Gocarts are usually built for speed and not pulling power. You might be able to convert a gocart to a tractor and use that to pull a train. Check out: https://www.bryantmotors.com/car-buying ... orque.html
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do / with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:10 pm

Use a ride on mower with a good engine and transmission. Mutate the hell out of it. Consider making the rear wheels duals to increase traction and flotation in light traction areas.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:32 pm

I don’t think dual rear wheels would be needed, they already have wide turf tires... and making them dual is clearly out of this person’s wheelhouse, so to speak.
I’ve run several mower-chassis MVs on the playa and never had a traction or floatation issue.

An ATV is a poor choice because they’re relatively expensive and not well suited to crawling along at low speed under a load.
A go cart is also poorly suited to this task.
The most common, best-suited go-to for what you’re describing is a golf cart. The bodies come right off and they’re about the size you need, and they’re quite well-suited for playa duty.

Pulling trailers has a separate set of DMV rules. You must construct a barrier of some sort that prevents anyone from going between the tow vehicle and trailer. The tow vehicle must be fully mutated itself.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: "The 'Burbs"

Post by Molotov » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:18 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:32 pm
...You must construct a barrier of some sort that prevents anyone from going between the tow vehicle and trailer. The tow vehicle must be fully mutated itself.
Yes they just had a fatality at a New Orleans Mardi Gras parade when a lady tried to cross between two trailer floats to pick up beads and she got....squished, I know we aren't talking about that much weight, but MV rules may apply here, regardless of size.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:35 pm

Any MV towing anything is a red flag.

We have had a fatality at BM with a trailer setup.

It’s not impossible to get an MV with a trailer, but it’s a regal PITA to go that way, especially for a first-time builder.

The mitigating controls can be quite a burden.

If I had to go the route of a riding mower or golf cart, I’d go the rails and stretch route instead and weld till I’m good and tanned.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:25 am

It’s really not that hard to do a trailer.
The slick setup is cable or rope barriers, in a loop suspended on pulleys.
When you turn, one side gets shorter and the other side gets longer but the whole loop remains the same, so it works really well.
You also need to light the hitch area, but MVs already have “radical illumination” all over anyway so that’s not a big deal.

You just need to know the rules, and know that you can’t use an unmutated tow rig (unless the MV is a 747...)

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:37 am

About mowers... they’re loud and too slow.
Depending on the type, they can be set up with better gearing but you’re not a mechanical sort and your best bet is a chassis that just already works.

That leaves a golf cart as your best bet.
Don’t get an electric one. I’m not biased against them, I actually have one at home to get around my property, it’s great for that.
But on the playa, the corrosive playa dust is hard on the electric parts and recharging is a hassle. Takes too long and you’ll need about a 1000-watt power source to run a golf cart charger. That pretty much means a generator.
It’s far better to just run a gas powered cart.

There’s a golf cart forum called buggiesgonewild.
You should spend some time there learning about carts before buying yourself one. There are things to know, pros and cons, etc.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:53 pm

Token wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:35 pm
We have had a fatality at BM with a trailer setup.
Unfortunately, we've actually had two, eleven years apart. One in 2014, one in 2003.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:30 pm

Dang, now apparently there has been a second accident involving a 'tandum' float at Mardi Gras.

I suspect they will be scrutinized more closely than ever at this point.

That concern aside, it's good to see the OP looking to find a way to contribute to the burn!

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:31 am

sp. tandem

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”