Mutant Support Vehicles

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
IRONDAD
Burning Since: 2018

Mutant Support Vehicles

Post by IRONDAD » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:40 pm

Howdy all. I'm planning to do a straight-shot bike ride to the playa in early Sept. The problem is that I'll be riding some roads with little-to-no shoulders on little-to-no sleep. Usually I'd have a dedicated support vehicle for rides in ultra endurance events, so I'm looking to do something similar for this ride. It would be awesome if I could convince some mutant vehicle owners to drive some of these segments with me as I make a spectacle of myself. Ideally, it would be for the warm fuzzies, but we can also talk cash compensation if that's more compelling.

If you're interested in hearing more, pls msg.

Best!
IRöNDAD

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: Mutant Support Vehicles

Post by gaminwench » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:00 am

Welcome to eplaya.

Interesting ask, I'm intrigued.

I know many folks that *could* fit your bill, but would be hesitant to reach out/put you in contact with them without knowing more about you/your plan.

Who are you?
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: "The 'Burbs"

Post by Molotov » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:26 am

IRONDAD wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:40 pm
..... The problem is that I'll be riding some roads with little-to-no shoulders on little-to-no sleep.....
IRöNDAD
Really? Really?

You gonna die. Stay at home and watch the influencers on Instagram.

IRONDAD

Post by IRONDAD » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:36 pm

gaminwench wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:00 am
Welcome to eplaya.

Interesting ask, I'm intrigued.

I know many folks that *could* fit your bill, but would be hesitant to reach out/put you in contact with them without knowing more about you/your plan.

Who are you?
Understood. The plan is to start riding from Alameda and not stop until I get as close to the playa as I legally can. I've ridden all the segments already, and it should take me about 36 hours. I'll be flying a banner from the bike that says "The Man Will Burn Again" on the way there. I'll change it out for something asinine like "Burning Man Got Cancelled?" on the ride back. I'll probably only ride back to Reno, because I don't want to take more than a day or so off work.

I like to think of myself as pretty legit. I've only been the event once, but people in the org know me because I was running software engineering there until earlier this year. A few of them might even vouch for me. :D I regularly do ultraendurance events that have rides in the hundreds of miles. It will def be hard, but after riding the route these last few weekends I know it's possible.

Here's a picture of me from the burn:

I've been working on the banners in the meantime, and they look a lot less shitty now.

Please email me at [email protected] if you can help me out with an intro. You can remove the _fuck_spam part of that addr to make it more respectable if you want to forward it. Or not. They'll both make it to me.

Best!
IRöNDAD

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:10 am

Bring some water.

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:42 am

Org provenance is what it throws down.

Seeing none of that, here. (which is fine).

Your seeing yourself as 'legit', after one year of burning, raises questions.

Asking for support, with your 'connections' raises questions.

Who are YOU??
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

IRONDAD

Post by IRONDAD » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:04 am

gaminwench wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:42 am
Org provenance is what it throws down.

Seeing none of that, here. (which is fine).

Your seeing yourself as 'legit', after one year of burning, raises questions.

Asking for support, with your 'connections' raises questions.

Who are YOU??
I'm not employed by the org anymore. It's just how I ended up engaging with the community, so a lot of people who work with the org have met me and can at least vouch for the fact that this isn't my first endurance stunt.

I'm free to see myself as legit after 1 year of burning- in fact, I saw myself as legit after 0. And you're free to see me however you want. Yays to free thinking.

Which connections? I don't have many connections to mutant vehicle owners, and that's why I'm asking here.

I haven't had time to update it in a little while + I think I broke the theme at some point and haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, but http://iamirondad.com.

What else do you want to know? If you have any specific questions, maybe email them to me? Otherwise, thanks for replying.

Best!
IRöNDAD

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:49 am

This is a confusing post.

I think you are saying that you want to schedule a ride from SF to Gerlach/8/12mile in September (camp&back?)

And to do so for safety reasons you are requesting a tail car(s) which would be more instagramable if it was a MV
(I come on 447 in a car from Cedarville, and there is tractor trailer traffic on 447)

First, Gerlach and towns along 447 are small and COVID-susceptible, so unnecessary travel is discouraged. Friends of Black Rock High Rock is a good place to ask.

Second, the BLM may close the playa around Labor Day and rocketry dates. That's the BLM Winnemucca office.

You might do better asking around the SF MV community you can reach through BORG or Faceb**k channels. If you want campmates, SF burner community on Faceb**k.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

IRONDAD

Post by IRONDAD » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:42 am

some seeing eye wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:49 am
This is a confusing post.

I think you are saying that you want to schedule a ride from SF to Gerlach/8/12mile in September (camp&back?)

And to do so for safety reasons you are requesting a tail car(s) which would be more instagramable if it was a MV
(I come on 447 in a car from Cedarville, and there is tractor trailer traffic on 447)

First, Gerlach and towns along 447 are small and COVID-susceptible, so unnecessary travel is discouraged. Friends of Black Rock High Rock is a good place to ask.

Second, the BLM may close the playa around Labor Day and rocketry dates. That's the BLM Winnemucca office.

You might do better asking around the SF MV community you can reach through BORG or Faceb**k channels. If you want campmates, SF burner community on Faceb**k.
Sorry for the confusion. I'm saying I'm going to ride my bike from Alameda to as close as I can legally get to the playa on 9/6. I'll do it with as few breaks as possible and no sleep. It will take me 36-48 hours. I don't usually have to stop in towns that I pass through if I have a support vehicle to carry nutrition and water. I don't plan to camp there overnight- I'd rather turn around and ride back to Reno where I can start recovering in a comfortable, cool place. I might take 447 on the way there, unless I have to go through Reno to meet up with a support vehicle based there.

I've already reached out to friends and people at the org; I might have a segment or two covered with their help. I also tried joining the MV owners group on FB. It's a private group, and I don't think it's really intended to field requests like these. In any case, my request to join hasn't been approved yet. Do you have any other suggestions for places to reach out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can have a friend drive my own truck, but I was thinking this would be more fun. And also instagramable, I guess; I can't plausibly deny that I like attention.

Thanks and best!
IRöNDAD

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”