Pulled over in your mutant vehicle?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:06 pm

Hi... possibly former margarita-seving art-car owner/operator checking in...
BM used to be FULL of "bar cars"! I didn't even realize at first that normal DUI laws applied out there in the middle of the desert. Remember, you long-timers? If you didn't feel like walking to a bar camp, you could just stand there and wait until one came by! Then in '02 or '03 while navigating through a heavy crowd I came upon a policemen who pointed to the glass next to me and asked "Sir, is that alcohol?" (It was one of my almost-famous margaritas) He informed me in very clear terms that drinking and driving was not tolerated even out there. While I WAS sipping on a margarita, I wasn't noticeably intoxicated and after some conversation he let me go.
Now, even before I knew that normal "street" DUI laws were enforced on the playa I wouldn't have driven my boat with very much booze in my system, but since that near disaster (I drive heavy trucks and machines for a living - a DUI would wreck my entire livelyhood) I either drive totally sober or I get a Designated Captain if I want to "party".
The cops didn't have any issue with my passengers. I don't know if the fact that my boat is constructed with the main passenger area separated from the driving position had anything to do with it, I think I had a few people out front with me at the time.
But the moral is, YEP, you can get busted out there, you need to operate as if you were on a city street with a patrol car on your tail.

I might even have to discontinue operation of the on-board blender.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:41 pm

ok, I'm posting now under the influence... My wife volunteered to be the DD for the drive home from the Duperbowl. Hence why my Irish ass had 3 pitchers of IPA. Yummmmmmm.

I'm putting the note out there right now.

VOLUNTEERS WANTED FOR DRIVING MY ART CAR SO I CAN GET DRUNK AND BE DRIVEN.

Any takers?

I know this is a quest for trouble... But I know how to test aplicants for this. There's a guy on the playa named Bill. Do you know his last name?

If you do, then you might be hired as a driver. Or if you know a certain doctor from Akron, Ohio.

If you actually do know either of these guys, prove it to me by writing me personally, OFFLIST. And if you're willing to be a DD for a bunch of perverts. (Perv references are a must)

Don't blow the secret by being a fool and answering here in public.

If and when I drive I WILL be 100% sober. However, I would also like to enjoy our "ride" with a few cocktails. Nothing like planning ahead.

Go Bears... Fire Rex Grossman yesterday. And Yada Yada Yada.

Blah blah blah.

BTW, for those who bitch and bitch and bitch... This is a valid and responsible question and the first person that pipes in with anything negative about my quest will also be the first to taste the playa dust off my fucking boot sole. I'm sick of reading posts from the "holier than thou" burners. I am untouchable unless I give permission. Got it?

g'night.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:57 pm

Are you saying that only someone with a problem with alcohol won't be drinking?

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:23 am

no. But it is my name on the title. So therefore, my choice.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:38 am

In this neck of the woods the law has power boats.. You can get a DUI in your boat..

Kenny Z
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: United Nations

Post by Kenny Z » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:43 pm

Okay, I got lazy and only read the first page so sorry if anything I said has been said before.

I first want to say that anybody considering bringing a mutant vehicle for the first time, it's a bigger pain in the ass and responsibility than you might think. Just wait until you have to stand in line at the BRC DMV (they do a good job though).

Last year my friend and co-builder couldn't make it. I was stuck driving it the whole time which gets to be quite a responsibilty. People think that just because you are going 5mph that it's easy to maneuver and avoid people. It's not! You have to be on your toes (especially at night) because not only are you avoiding people, you are also avoiding really, really fucked up people!

Last year, I ran into somebody. He was riding a bike and swerving all over. I was approaching at a 90 degree angle. All of a sudden he saw me and instead of riding past, he lost control and steered right into me. Mind you, when I saw him swerving I completely stopped the vehicle. Anyway, he starts going off on a rant and I can tell he is on something powerful by his speech and motor control. Finally I told him that it looks like we have two different accounts of what happened and we should get a ranger. Once I said that, he changed his tune and said "no, it's cool, no harm done" and rode off.

The point of my post is that you need to be able to focus 100% as it involves much more than surfing along at 5mph. Additionally, even if you think you are driving well enough to not get pulled over, if somebody else hits you and the authorities get invovled, you can bet they will check your status too!

oneeyeddick
Burning Since: 1996

Post by oneeyeddick » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:47 pm

was that dude a tall, fit looking fellow, with short blackish/drk brown hair?
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:25 pm

This is a very good thread! Is it sticky? If not maybe it should be!

I know the Nevada driving laws fairly well but I MIGHT have thought differently at BM...
i e seemingly tiny details like open containers of potential pasengers..things like that.

I am a non-drinker & DD, period end of story! I will be looking for disabled/hurt burners while I am mobile...ice toting/tired ones too!

PM's from Veteran burners are welcome (only if you have time, ok?)

I have had verbal advise about this and will be getting much more but learning even more, before the burn, is more than welcome!

I am now concetrating on getting my gear together but I DO have time for this subject!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Bluemandrew

Post by Bluemandrew » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:15 am

I really hate when ancient threads get dragged back to the top and I get all angry reading them before I realize they're 5 years old.

I do have to say I am amused by the sanctimonious assholes yelling about drunk driving and LEOs reading the board threatening to beat people up on-playa...

Kenny Z

Post by Kenny Z » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:58 am

[quote="oneeyeddick"]was that dude a tall, fit looking fellow, with short blackish/drk brown hair?[/quote]

He was no taller than 6 feet. He was skinny if that's what you mean by fit.

Kenny Z

Post by Kenny Z » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:04 am

Bluemandrew wrote:I really hate when ancient threads get dragged back to the top and I get all angry reading them before I realize they're 5 years old.
You will be okay Bluemandrew. Take a deep breath, rub your ben wa balls and go to your happy place. :lol: The topic is just as relevant back then as it is now. In fact, probably more so because of the growing population. I saw the post and gave it rebirth, guilty as charged. I'll give you my camp address this year and you can come by and spit on me.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:05 am

Only if you promise to make sure that the spit doesn't become liquid MOOP!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Bluemandrew

Post by Bluemandrew » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:24 pm

Kenny Z wrote:
Bluemandrew wrote:I really hate when ancient threads get dragged back to the top and I get all angry reading them before I realize they're 5 years old.
You will be okay Bluemandrew. Take a deep breath, rub your ben wa balls and go to your happy place. :lol: The topic is just as relevant back then as it is now. In fact, probably more so because of the growing population. I saw the post and gave it rebirth, guilty as charged. I'll give you my camp address this year and you can come by and spit on me.
You all misunderstand me. The issue is that I missed the fight. I get all fired up to write a good response and realize whoever said something that I wanted to rebuke, said it 5 years ago.

Takes the wind right out of my sail.

And I love sober people driving art cars. I have enough trouble not walking into shit out there nevermind operating a suped up parade float.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:49 pm

Cmmon guys, everyone knows that that 32 Oz Monster energy drink in the MV cup holder is full of Vodka.

Its BM ferchristsake.

Warning: common side effects include excessive anxiety and anal seepage.

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:21 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: Computer boards are wierd in that you don't really have the face to face interaction that creates trust on a biological animal reading each other level and whole levels of conversation are missing. That creates a sort of edginess that we would all do well to respect.
Very well put!
Especially for something that is sorta a hard thing to describe.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”