Seeking advice and input for designing MV

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: TECTONIC

Re: Seeking advice and input for designing MV

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:27 am

I outsourced the transport.. but it does have me thinking about duallies and 20k goosenecks...

Picked up the gennies today, they gave me one EU3000EUI and one 3000EUIS. The latter is about twice as heavy and much larger. Has a different fuel cap and I don't think I can find one before we leave on wed am, so there goes the aux fuel tank plan.. Glad I bought that tank :roll:

Opened the package on my parallel kit and literature explicitly states not to chain different models and that the 3000EUIS is considered different from the EUI. Daisy chaining isn't exactly necessary as I can split the load, sound on one and lights on the other but it's fucking annoying that now I'll have two generators with different fuel capacities running under different loads..

I had planned on having Hell just dispense into the 6g marine tank every 2 days instead of needing to carry around jerry cans.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:36 am

The only two different EU 3000 watt Hondas I'm aware of are the EU 3000iS with electric start and the EU 3000i Handi, without electric start.
Yes you can daisy-chain ANY two Honda EU-anything generators. They don't even have to be the same wattage. I've run EU1000, EU2000 and EU3000 together in various combinations. They all play together just fine.
You don't need a "parallel kit" all you have to do is make up an extension cord with a male plug at each end and plug one generator into the other. That's all the factory parallel kit does, those parallel ports are simply wired directly the the 120VAC output. That's how I run mine and we will have five of them all connected this year.

To run a lot of power it would be best to hit Home Depot and buy an electric outlet box, some 120 VAC household type receptacles, and some power cords. I used power tool replacement cords, 12 gauge because they were about the right length and already had plugs on one end. But get 12 gauge for sure. You could get a short 12 gauge extension cord and an extra male plug, and cut the cord into two short ones with male plugs at one end.

Run both cords into your box. I use the plastic ones. Wire all the white wires together, all the blacks together, and all the greens (ground) together. The back of the outlets will tell you in tiny print which side gets white and which side gets black, or there will be silver screws on one side and gold ones on the other. White goes to silver and black to gold.

You can wire up just one, or several outlets on your box. Just wire them all together, keeping the whites blacks and greens all the same.

This gives you a central place to connect all your high powered stuff.

But however you do it, yes you can daisy chain those two different Honda EUs.

The main thing is to always have them connected FIRST, THEN start them up. Never connect them when they are already running.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

A-RockLeFrench

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:20 am

Word, thanks captain!

A-RockLeFrench

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:49 pm

Report:

The generators worked out OK. I ran the smaller one off the aux tank and used it to power the sound system. The 3000is has a much larger tank than the regular old 3000i and I only used it to run lights so I didn't need it as much. With a few stops at hell station I didn't come close to running out of gasoline in any tank. On Sunday night I ran all systems off of one genny, to empty out the aux tank and confirm that 2x 3000 watts was overkill. It was, but I loved the idea of still having power in the event of one genny failing.

Radios worked great, went with some cheap Boafengs and had some help getting them programmed. It was awesome to have communication between 4 different crew members, I don't know how a similar sized rig would operate without it. We developed a pretty good plan/procedure for communicating and driving instructions in the field. We did not get to installing a 'stop now' button or pull cord, both are good ideas and will be considered for the future. One thing I was really happy we did have: dual 135 dbl train horns. Its astounding how many people out there don't notice a giant rock and roll caterpillar approaching...

Super happy I took the windshield out. Made driving at night a breeze! Bonus: we were able to fit the head pieces inside the bus for transport and shoving them through where the windshield used to be was the only way they fit.

Lights: We went too big and complicated, ended up with half the lights spending burn week in a dusty pile in camp, the ones we did install never got programmed and only half worked. No one noticed except for me.. besides, more for next year right? The 12v driving lights worked pretty well, next year/time I will upgrade to something even brighter.

Paper air filter seems to have worked great.. She sounds funny now, something whistles on deceleration, maybe vacuum or exhaust leak? and I can hear a belt/pulley squeaking but miraculously there were no major breakdowns and she ran great all week! Definitely burned up a lot of clutch out there once she started getting heavy but the old-as-dirt 4 speed transmission worked stellar at keeping her idling along at 4-5 mph in 2nd gear!

The biggest corner cut: not blocking the rear suspension. I ran out of time and man power, it took the better part of a day for me and another guy to fab and install the blocks on the front. Once we got those in we were amazed at how stiff she got, and the logic of "look at how beefy those rear spring packs are, it shouldn't bounce much" got the better of us. She bounced, made it a total PITA when people were trying to get on and off... And she dragged.. 40 people got pretty heavy and the generator cages we hung off the beck deck bottomed out a few times, had a nice 'swept-back' look to them by the end of the week.. if you didn't know better you'd think we built em that way.. Nothing catastrophic happened but so far this was my biggest mistake.. So to anyone considering a MV, and especially if its large: you want the entire suspension blocked.

There's more I could bore you guys with, a couple things I'll post as follow-ups in other threads.. The debate is on whether or not we are crazy enough to bring this beast back in 2017... perhaps let her rest next year and come back with a vengeance in 2018? whatever we end up doing I'm stoked ya'll are here to answer my questions and laugh at my mistakes!

Thanks to all who contributed to this awesome thread! The Bonerpillar loves you!

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:57 pm

What??? No pix??? :lol: :lol: :lol: I looked for you everywhere, but, did not find the great Bonerpiller in BRC. :cry:

But at least I have your sticker on my water bottle!
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

A-RockLeFrench

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:56 pm

Aw man! I'm bummed we never crossed paths.. We didn't really get going until Wednesday night, apparently it takes a long time to put a Bonerpillar together! I fear that our late start meant that less people were able to find us..

Also we didn't make it to the M&G, some very close friends got married on Wednesday night so the Bonerpillar was busy that night.. Next year the BP will bring the rock to the M&G!

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”