Building an Art Car Golf Cart style

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
Wookie
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Sideshow Freaks and Oddities

Building an Art Car Golf Cart style

Postby Wookie » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:07 am

So a friend and I are building an art car out of a golf cart. We are purchasing the golf cart, and have little cash to put forth towards the actual art aspect, we have a few ideas, however we were wondering what the least required is so we can go a few steps above that at least. On another note my friend has a certain spinal condition and we are wondering if a doctors note would suffice for the vehicle, or if he needs to present a handicap parking pass? I will add more when I contact him and get back home. I am currently out of town with limited access to a computer.

Sham

Re: Building an Art Car Golf Cart style

Postby Sham » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:04 am

Yes, you will need an official, State issued handicap permit to drive the golf cart on the playa.
In the spirit of Burning Man, it is helpful to funky it up as much as possible. You get big bonus points for creativity and lots of night time lighting.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:43 am

The cart also has to be pre-registered as a handicapped vehicle.

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... enses.html
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:48 am

And be kind to yourselves and buy a golf cart that uses gas, not an electric job.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:13 pm

You mean all those electric vehicles scattered around the playa aren't art?

(Many electric carts have batteries, motors or electronics that are not built to survive the heat and/or dust. Dust seems to short or jam the motors, electronic boards stop working and dust coating components really adds to their overheating. Dust filters added to boards & motors seems to just aid their overheating; maybe it can be done right. Some do fine; some end up stranded. It can be a bonding experience helping someone push their electric vehicle out of the way, except they're usually so stressed by then that you're worried about getting decapitated.)
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

WileE13
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Jefferson High Life

Postby WileE13 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:09 pm

I too am working on a golf cart, a 3 wheeled, 1964 Jato Walker Executive with an 8 hp Kohler engine. It will not have a handicap permit.

It is a cool looking cart as-is, kind of like a sleigh, my question is, can I leave some of that natural styling exposed or do I need to modify/cover all of it?

I also plan on making a tow cart out of an old ATV which will hold about 6 people. Has anyone tried towing a trailer with a golf cart on the Playa? Does it have the power to do it?

And lastly, does Burning Man have any sort of bias towards golf carts, as in, they don't like to register them because they are so common and everyone seems to want to start there?

I dream of making an Art Car for Burning Man, but I don't want to build a large vehicle then try to drive it 5 hrs to the event, at least not for my first vehicle. The cart would be perfect because I can fit it into the late 40's Spartan Manor we've converted to a toy hauler.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:30 pm

A mutant vehicle per Burning Man's definition should have no "base vehicle" showing.
Golf carts are popular because they are small and easier to trailer.
Trailers need to be registered separately.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:52 pm

They're upping the standards this year too. So no lame, roll-eye-inducing "mutant vehicles" in the shapes of clouds, cardboard boxes, or other low-effort attempts to just have a motorized ride out there. Mutate that shit.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:45 am

I have thought that the BRC DMV follows the rules of the Nevada DMV so correct me if I'm wrong here. As nevada does not require someone using a power chair to register that chair at the dmv why does brc require a registration of an electric wheel chair?

:coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:16 am

I'm not sure that they do.

I didn't get approached while zipping around in the carnival wheel chair of death, but the burnt offering (altered electric shopping cart) got ranger attention in the man base perimeter last year.

It may be a grey area. :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:57 am

Yes, they do. From the Mutant Vehicles section of the Burning Man web site...

What is a Mutant Vehicle?

A Mutant Vehicle is a unique, motorized creation that shows little or no resemblance to their original form, or to any standard street vehicle. Mutant Vehicles are radically, stunningly, (usually) permanently, and safely modified from their base vehicle. Sometimes the whole vehicle is made from scratch.

Mutant Vehicles may include such non-standard motorized forms such as furniture, other non-street vehicles such as a boat or train, animals, or just about anything imaginable. For safety reasons, they must not mimic any type of emergency service or law enforcement vehicle.

Vehicles merely stripped to the frame and engine, and vehicles with minimal changes or temporary decorations are not considered Mutant Vehicles.

On this page, they go on to clearly state that mobility scooters and electric wheelchairs are allowed without license for people with disabilities.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Dr Helix » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:02 pm

[quote="Wookie"]So a friend and I are building an art car out of a golf cart. We are purchasing the golf cart, and have little cash to put forth towards the actual art aspect, we have a few ideas, however we were wondering what the least required is so we can go a few steps above that at least. On another note my friend has a certain spinal condition and we are wondering if a doctors note would suffice for the vehicle, or if he needs to present a handicap parking pass? I will add more when I contact him and get back home. I am currently out of town with limited access to a computer.[/quot

This is where it breaks down a little for me. You really aren't that into creating anything to MV standards, you just want to do "the least required" so that you can have a ride out there. Now if you are developing this for your friend so he can get around that's a different story. But that's a completely different process. I react to this only beacuse i have spent 100's of hours on my golf cart MV. If you'd like to see it, go here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50306968@N03/

This a fully modified cart. In fact, one of the questions I get asked every year is "What is it made from?" So when I see someone ask what he can get away with in terms of a MV it makes me frustrated. Unless you're willing to put in the time, don't bother
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:28 pm

On this page, they go on to clearly state that mobility scooters and electric wheelchairs are allowed without license for people with disabilities.

That is what I meant.

I can't walk or peddle far, but slightly modifying a mobile assist vehicle, such as a mobility scooter or wheel chair, had rangers telling me it had to have a DMV permit when clearly (to me anyway) it didn't.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

EspressoDude

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:27 pm

FIGJAM wrote:

That is what I meant.

I can't walk or peddle far, but slightly modifying a mobile assist vehicle, such as a mobility scooter or wheel chair, had rangers telling me it had to have a DMV permit when clearly (to me anyway) it didn't.

Check with DMV. Rangers are not DMV
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:41 pm

If you're getting hassled, then you're probably not clearly displaying your disabled vehicle permit.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lucky420 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:00 pm

trilobyte wrote:Yes, they do. From the Mutant Vehicles section of the Burning Man web site...

What is a Mutant Vehicle?

A Mutant Vehicle is a unique, motorized creation that shows little or no resemblance to their original form, or to any standard street vehicle. Mutant Vehicles are radically, stunningly, (usually) permanently, and safely modified from their base vehicle. Sometimes the whole vehicle is made from scratch.

Mutant Vehicles may include such non-standard motorized forms such as furniture, other non-street vehicles such as a boat or train, animals, or just about anything imaginable. For safety reasons, they must not mimic any type of emergency service or law enforcement vehicle.

Vehicles merely stripped to the frame and engine, and vehicles with minimal changes or temporary decorations are not considered Mutant Vehicles.

yes, i've read that a person with a disability doesnt need to register the chair. I was wondering about the person without a disability and a power chair, because state of nv doesnt make you register it either (disability or not). not trying to be difficult just wondering...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:33 pm

You are welcome to use such a vehicle without a license throughout the state of Nevada. At Burning Man, you would need to have a mutant vehicle license.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:01 pm

Tinymistic had to have a DMV permit for her van, but not for her powerchair!!!

Clear as mud. :?

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:57 pm

[media]
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:13 pm

So about the golf cart how-little-can-I-get-away-with Mutant Vehicle...
If you post exactly what you're thinking of doing, there's several of us here who make these things and can give you a good estimate of whether it's likely to get licensed or whether you ought to just save your time and money.

Sham

Postby Sham » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:05 pm

I know this was mention before, but the DMV is stepping up the game on artcars and mutant vehicles on the playa. No more bland or mundane modified vehicles. It was turning out that many camps were quickly building vehicles so their camp members could drive around. Now there has to be some real pizzazz and great lighting in order to pass the DMV acceptance.

If you're building a mutant vehicle, make sure it's so far over the top, that the DMV will be really wowed by it.

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Postby Papa Bear » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:30 pm

Just an observation: the original post is from 2014, so the question of "how little can I get away with" is most likely moot at this point.

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:46 pm

Well how do you know it wasn't a time machine car?

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:17 am

The following vehicles do not require licensing to be used as as Disabled Person’s Vehicles :
•Electric Wheelchairs
•Mobility Scooters
•Electric Bicycles
•Segways
•Go-ped style stand up powered skateboards (with no seat)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

BRCDMV
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Department of Mutant Vehicles

Postby BRCDMV » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:00 am

All,

Just a note: If folks are asking for official word regarding rules about a specific vehicle or vehicle type, please ask them to email dmv@burningman.org.

While everyone means well and may have some information that is correct...or somewhat correct....the DMV should have the totally correct info.

In regards to the Power Chair question the short correct answer is (as was posted previously):

"The following vehicles do not require licensing to be used as as Disabled Person’s Vehicles:
Electric Wheelchairs
Mobility Scooters
Electric Bicycles
Segways
Go-ped style stand up powered skateboards (with no seat)

Now, that being said, there is one conundrum that some people have run into when using Power chairs. If the chair is significantly decorated/mutated, it can be difficult for Rangers/LEOS to ascertain whether it is a Mutant Vehicle, or an allowable unlicensed Disabled Persons Vehicle. IF folks are concerned that their DPV would be misread their power chair, they are welcome to apply for an official Disabled Persons Vehicle license to remove any question. They shouldn't HAVE to, but sometimes the best laid plans can lead to some grey areas.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

-Chef Juke for the DMV Hotties

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011

Postby tamarakay » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:30 pm

Papa Bear wrote:Just an observation: the original post is from 2014, so the question of "how little can I get away with" is most likely moot at this point.

Well yes, the original post was, but the one they are responding too is more recent.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”