MV technical support question

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
magic scientist
Burning Since: 2003

MV technical support question

Postby magic scientist » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:44 am

We're having trouble with the Bass Boat mutant vehicle, and we're hoping someone with golf cart repair experience can please take a look at this video and give us a suggestion for what might be going wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF_N_XtQ64A
Despite what the video says, I believe it's a yamaha g14a

You can see the vehicle in proper operation is this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryg_XqBR7Fo

Thanks!

-Energy

FIGJAM

Re: MV technical support question

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:18 am

It sounds like the clutch.

Find out where the cable goes and watch that while somebody engages the clutch.

If it doesn't move, the cable is broken or the brackets that hold the cable have let it loose. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:28 am

It's impossible to tell from here, but I also think the first thing to suspect is gonna be the clutch. I'd be a little surprised that it wouldn't even turn the wheels at all while jacked up though.
Can you tell if it's going into gear?
Check your linkages/cables/whatever and verify that when you operate the driver controls they actually operate at the "business" end.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:31 am

I could hear the gears grinding when they tried to shift it into gear.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:37 am

Maybe a connection has sheared in your transaxle. Take a new video showing the clutch with belt going to the transaxle and what all that does when you work the controls. Idle seems to be a bit high for normal golf cart no movement idling. maybe set the idle lower first and make sure the clutch is not engaging with it at idle. Good luck!
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

magic scientist

Postby magic scientist » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:12 am

I'm going to have to wait for my more technically minded buddy Happy Endings to chime in, but I can address a couple of points. He's nervous about getting under there while its running, although it is up on jack stands. We can perhaps secure it better and then get video of it while the engine is running. It's a predator 420 engine from Harbor Freight (a Honda knock off engine), and we haven't been able to get it to idle any lower. It's also a bit difficult to access with the boat top on, and very difficult to remove the heavy fiberglass boat top. We are not able to get the golf cart to shift into gear. I've been having trouble getting it to gear, and from forward to reverse, for some time now, but I'm currently unable to get it into gear at all. I appreciate all the prompt replies, and will have more detailed replies to the various suggestions for what's wrong shortly, although it may be a while before Happy Endings is able to take another look at my vehicle. I'm also trying to enlist (hire) a skilled golf cart mechanic in Chicago, if anybody has any references or suggestions.

Thanks again!

-Energy

HappyEndings
Burning Since: 2010

Postby HappyEndings » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:04 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:It's impossible to tell from here, but I also think the first thing to suspect is gonna be the clutch. I'd be a little surprised that it wouldn't even turn the wheels at all while jacked up though.
Can you tell if it's going into gear?
Check your linkages/cables/whatever and verify that when you operate the driver controls they actually operate at the "business" end.

The clutch was my first pick. The second something like a clutch fork inside the trans axle. I was under the thing when it wasn't running and the cable going to the trans axle (shift cable) appeared to be moving freely. The wheels would sliiiiiiiightly crawl forward at one time while in forward. That is telling me that those saying clutch are right. I had a Hinomoto E324 tractor that did the same. Took me about a month on and off to replace the clutch and associated bearings. It had a front end loader i didn't remove in the way; a mess. I love the owner and all, but I can't do that work due to time, location, tools, and know how.

I couldn't tell if the clutch was pulling in and out though like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XksLJlvY6KA

I guess that is a good video to get and probably can be done just looking low from the back. Safety 3rd and all, i'm not crawling under that thing while it's running. if it were to drop my skull would be smashed; getting smashed by the bass boat would not be a good way to go. I do have the maintenance manual and hopefully it'll give a solid diagnostic path.

If it's the clutch, i dread the thought of likely needing to take the boat off the frame. i don't expect there is clearance to work from underneath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVc-0WlmQPk (starts at 2:00)

EspressoDude

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:11 pm

if it is a hand/cable operated clutch, loosen the cable adjusting locknut on the clutch handgrip and loosen the cable adjusting sleeve so the cable is slack. to the point where the cable can be removed. That is as engaged as the clutch can be adjusted outside of the motor case.

note that the adjuster might be on the gearcase and not the clutch handgrip. very similar to bicycle hand brakes.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

HappyEndings
Burning Since: 2010

Postby HappyEndings » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:36 pm

EspressoDude wrote:if it is a hand/cable operated clutch, loosen the cable adjusting locknut on the clutch handgrip and loosen the cable adjusting sleeve so the cable is slack. to the point where the cable can be removed. That is as engaged as the clutch can be adjusted outside of the motor case.

note that the adjuster might be on the gearcase and not the clutch handgrip. very similar to bicycle hand brakes.

It's not like a motorcycle clutch as all it's got is a forward/reverse shifter near the calf/leg area. We're not sure if you're supposed to be able to shift while it's at a stop of must shut the engine off before shifting.

magic scientist

Postby magic scientist » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:55 pm

A slight clarification. It used to be able to change from forward to reverse when it's either running or when the engine is off. It was recently suggested that changing it from forward to reverse when the engine was on may have damaged it. It used to be an electric golf cart, and was retrofitted by the prior owner. Also, to get it to change gears at the last couple of burns, I needed to either turn it off or to give it a little gas. This is written as an operator/captain, rather than as a mechanic. I had to drive it in reverse for several hours when I was unable to get it into forward gear. Kinda comical. I'd love to get this fixed soon. I might even be able to bring it to Transformus.

-Energy

magic scientist

Postby magic scientist » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:10 am

We;re taking the fiberglass boat hull off, which will allow us to better diagnose the problem. At that point it should be an easier time getting a mechanic to fix it. I understand that there may be a reluctance im with a shop that deals in electric to fix a gas cart, but it's most likely the transmission, having nothing to with the basically brand new engine. Better to leave in the hands of people who do it all day. Overrall the mv Worked for a day at Lakes of Fire, quirt gun. laser show. bubble, srrong black lights, leds nose laser, keoeke machine, Subwoof, Transducer to mahe seat shake., bike wranks, sound syster andsub We'll post another video, now that it's easier to see the inside.
Tanks.

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”