MutV On Playa Insurance

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
Gano

MutV On Playa Insurance

Postby Gano » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:26 am

What are folks doing for this?

Last year we went with a burner group connected with lloyds of london, but they are no longer offering Playa insurance...

-Gano

The Tree House
https://www.facebook.com/TheArtCar

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: MutV On Playa Insurance

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:00 pm

I'll admit I haven't specifically clarified it with my agent but I carry "broadform" insurance that covers me for liability in any vehicle I drive. At least in theory, that should include my M/V.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:43 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the transportation board, since that's a better fit for general preparation discussions.

You should be able to get insurance through most auto insurance providers, and possibly any company that offers event production insurance - contact your agent and start explaining in terms they can understand. Make sure to call out that it's for a special event/event production, the duration of the event, the speed limit, additional safety steps you're taking (spotters, etc). There's enough information available online about Burning Man that their folks at the home office can do some fact-checking, you may also want to give them links to the Afterburn reports if they want or need to check into additional statistics. Good luck!

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: FLUNGERDROUND

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:33 pm

Parade float insurance is a thing. That's a pretty easy way to describe to an insurance person what a MV is...

Gano

Postby Gano » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:18 am

Thanks for the advice.

We've been trying a number of companies and mentioning the "float" and "special event" angle but have had no luck so far.

We also are not able to get normal road insurance as our bus's commercial inspection has expired. Thus we have a greater impetus to get at least SOME kind of insurance.

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:21 am

I'm not an insurance expert I'm just think-tanking a little - does your MV have a halfway intact "base vehicle"? Can you just insure that, and try to pour over the contract terms and see if you specifically violate any of them by adding a few lights and laser cannons and dance floors?

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Postby ranger magnum » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Most home owner insurance offers umbrella policies that may cover an mv.
Praise the Lowered

meow57
Burning Since: 2014

Postby meow57 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:56 pm

These umbrella policies do not usually cover something like an MV, especially is it's not owned personally. You might find out after you need the coverage that you really do not have it.

Tanzremix

Postby Tanzremix » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:55 pm

That's the concern, there really doesn't seem to be a way to have everything aboveboard. I don't understand how so many MVs are either pulling it off and saying nothing, or are just rolling lawsuit targets waiting for a screwup. Also I don't understand how there isn't help navigating the process for the huge number of art cars (or art project, or camps) out there but that's another issue beyond the immediate.

stevko
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: The AquaZone Love Water Bar (3:00 and G)

Postby stevko » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:26 am

re: umbrella insurance
Umbrella insurance is a secondary liability insurance that only kicks in if the primary liability insurance is $250,000 or higher (typically).
That means that if your basic liability insurance does not cross that threshold - you are stuck with the overage.

re: mutant vehicle insurance
I found one agent/broker that would quoted liability insurance for my theme camp, box truck (6 months), and art car for about $350 each with a min of $300k so my umbrella policy could kick in.
The carrier was Progressive. PM me for details - just read the fine print and watch your wallet.
I think the key terms are "Off road vehicle liability" for the art car and special event "vendor" for the theme camp.

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:54 am

A vehicle with no registered owner would seem to be a gray area in all sorts of ways.

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”