Converted School Bus Insurance

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
tffy

Converted School Bus Insurance

Postby tffy » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:05 am

So my buddy is taking a pretty heavily modified School Bus (solar panels on the roof, lots of couches and stuff on the inside) to BM. Problem is - it's not insured - and the place that insured it last time (a few years ago) is no longer... in business?? Or the process with them now is a huge pain in the ass in any case.

Wondering if there are any suggestions - links - contacts to get (temporary - for just a few weeks - would be even better!!!) insurance to legally drive this thing on public roads! And, leaving LA area on like Wednesday, so the faster the help the better! :D

Thanks!!!

Sham

Re: Converted School Bus Insurance

Postby Sham » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:20 am

I use Hagerty Insurance for my artcar. They are awesome. You can do an online quote thing and see what the rates are.
Tell 'em Sham sent you! 8)
https://www.hagerty.com/

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:37 pm

How it is registered in your local state will dictate what insurance you can get.

Start there and once you know the class of registration choose your vendor.

tffy

Postby tffy » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:22 pm

The bus is registered Non-op... guhhh... this is getting to be a bit problematic. :/

heat-her
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Enchante, Stellar Dusty Moon

Postby heat-her » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:11 pm

HELP!! Can't find anyone who will insure this for us, it does not have a bathroom or kitchen area. Would like just liability for the trip there and back...

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby pink » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:46 pm

If it isn't registered, no one in hell will insure it.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:39 pm

You may have a lot of problems there.

You gotta have it registered.

If it is still a school bus, then you might be stuck with commercial vehicle registration, which in turn may require a commercial license to operate.

Check with your local DMV on what you can do.

Most people who convert school buses add just enough stuff to make it registered as an RV.

tffy

Postby tffy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:24 am

Sooo, in CA it is pretty hard to ensure a barely-converted school bus... unless you call Progressive, and present the vehicle as a commercial one (for a weird business, no really, we do some strange shit and don't even get paid for it!) and presto-changeo! Hehe, and in this state, you first gotta have insurance and then they'll let you register the thing. So, that's being done today.

Thanks, everyone!!!

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:58 am

We gutted & remodeled mine, had it inspected by the State Patrol (came out & looked at it) & registered it as an RV. Just about any insurance company will insure an RV. Your problem isn't insurance, it's the fact that the bus owner is trying to take advantage of the non-op allowance & use the bus as an RV without registering it. That is not what Non-Op was intended for & you probably won't be able to insure it as is. I wouldn't want to ride in that to the Playa since most states (maybe all) require you to carry registration & proof of insurance. If you get pulled over or have to pull over & a cop asks for that your burn will be over before it even starts.

Kind of late in the game to be figuring this out. I hope you have a "Plan B" & don't decide to drive it to the Playa uninsured.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:01 am

Glad it's working out for you.

Safe travels.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”