Shared Mutant Vehicle for 2016

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
sbraniff
Burning Since: 2004

Shared Mutant Vehicle for 2016

Postby sbraniff » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:32 pm

Fellow Burners, Our small camp (of ~6) is looking for another small camp to share the cost, maintenance and eventual use of a mutant vehicle (art car) for 2016 (and perhaps beyond). We are thinking of a 6 person golf cart chassis with a nice but not over the top build out. One camp has the rig Monday, Weds, Friday and the other camp Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Camp near each other for all sorts of good reasons. These MV project can get expansive but by combining resources, we can all have the enjoyment and make a contribution to the Playa fleet. Please contact me if you're interested or know a camp that might be. - Thanks

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Shared Mutant Vehicle for 2016

Postby Meat Hunter » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:18 pm

When the two camps have a falling out and decide to part ways, who owns the vehicle?

Once it is decided which camp gets the vehicle, when the individuals in that camp part ways, who owns the vehicle?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:43 pm

Mod note: parked in Transportation until the 2016 boards open.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:40 pm

I know I'm being a Negative Nelly and I apologize in advance, but that's a terrible idea. Very terrible.
Especially with strangers.

Mutant vehicles involve a lot of work, mostly custom work. They need constant upkeep and attention. Someone has to transport them and store them and handle their breakdowns and other logistics.
They just aren't like passing a basketball around.

Then there's licensing. Someone has to take responsibility for the thing, and is responsible for the vehicle's actions at all times.

The game is always being upped. It's taking more every year to get a DMV license. You have to have a pretty brilliant idea and execution of it to have a simple build that gets licensed.

You could conceivably pull this off but it needs to be with good friends of yours who live nearby.

I have collaborated with friends on a similar plan... it just doesn't work.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

sbraniff
Burning Since: 2004

Postby sbraniff » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:04 am

Thanks for the responses. Good to hear some lessons from first-hand experience. Maybe our camp of 6 simply needs to grow to 12 to better share the costs and responsibilities.

Anyone else out there care to share their experiences with sharing an art car mutant vehicle project??

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:15 am

I will echo the sentiments of the good Captain. And the truism that 20% of the people do 80% of the work will absolutely play out. Art cars cost way more than you think. And the harsh desert environment can cause many problems. This past year, with the wind/dust/etc. at one time both of our art cars, Barbie's Mobile Whorehouse and The Cloud Car were broken down, even though we had pumped over $5000 into Barbie. And Murphy's Law is a law for a reason. The Cloud Car was built 14' tall. But since it can't be driven on the highway, has to be towed. Once on the flatbed it was 17' from top to bottom, making it impossible to navigate under overpasses. Things you don't think of come into play. Music will break down. Power will vanish. Air filters will get trashed. Are you really sure you want to do this? If I had to do it all over again...

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”