Mutant Car for 2016 cons and pros...

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Mutant Car for 2016 cons and pros...

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:44 pm

A golf cart can be a great base, but the decorated cart is ultra lame as compared to one that is truly custom and just uses the mechanicals from the cart.
MVs that don't get a sticker don't get banished to the D lot, you can take it back to your camp, but you can't drive it around.

You're 100% right, the application should rock! Do a really good job explaining and illustrating EXACTLY what you're bringing.
Don't draw a crayon stick figure and promise it's a working time machine that shits parties and causes people to see God.
It won't.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:08 pm

One of the best compliments I get about my semi is when they ask "what it is the base for it?" And I tell them it's a golf cart.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:42 pm

I'm a big fan of the wow factor that Chef Juke talks about. Regardless of the base vehicle, if the target is to be one of the more amazing pieces of mobile art, then it's going to have a certain wow factor, where other people stop walking and pedaling and everything else just to say WOW THAT'S COOL!!! when they see it. Duane Flatmo did that for me with El Pulpo Mecanico. If you're aiming for the bleachers, even if you fall a little short, you're going to have a solid hit.

If you're aiming to meet the minimums, looking at the requirements as a "just cross the line" sort of thing, then in my opinion you're in for trouble. It's Burning Man and it's the most amazing mobile artspace ever... everything should be about maximum dazzle.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:16 am

The Bleachers is an awesome MV.

Yes, shoot for that!

SS Monaco, Golden Mean, Draka, Neverwas Haul, Serpent Twins, Front Porch, Clock Ship Tere, Ganesh Express, Cavallo, Empire, Lost Tea Party, ...

So many awesome works of LOVE and ART and TIME and CARE.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

BRCDMV
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Department of Mutant Vehicles

Post by BRCDMV » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:11 pm

All,

It may be helpful to review this gallery of vehicle that were NOT invited to Burning Man by the DMV for the reasons listed in the captions for each image. Many are great 'Art Cars" but don't rise to the level of mutation that meets the current criteria for a Mutant Vehicle License.

https://goo.gl/photos/Revkj88rP97th5Vm9

If you click on an individual photo, you can see the reasons why the DMV did not invite.

As always, please email us at dmv@burningman.org if you have any questions regarding Mutant Vehicle Licensing.

Sincerely,

-Chef Juke for The DMV Hotties

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:39 pm

DMV thank you. I hope that clears up some questions that you would have had to answer. (And saves some time and money too.)
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Agaton
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Sheep & Wolf Pub

Post by Agaton » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:04 pm

Very helpful. Thank you, BRCDMV !
Farted in my wallet; now I have gas money. -Unjonharley

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:24 pm

gaminwench wrote:The Bleachers is an awesome MV.

Yes, shoot for that!

SS Monaco, Golden Mean, Draka, Neverwas Haul, Serpent Twins, Front Porch, LAND YACHT, Clock Ship Tere, Ganesh Express, Cavallo, Empire, Lost Tea Party, ...

So many awesome works of LOVE and ART and TIME and CARE.

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:58 am

BRCDMV wrote:All,

It may be helpful to review this gallery of vehicle that were NOT invited to Burning Man by the DMV for the reasons listed in the captions for each image. Many are great 'Art Cars" but don't rise to the level of mutation that meets the current criteria for a Mutant Vehicle License.

https://goo.gl/photos/Revkj88rP97th5Vm9

If you click on an individual photo, you can see the reasons why the DMV did not invite.

As always, please email us at dmv@burningman.org if you have any questions regarding Mutant Vehicle Licensing.

Sincerely,

-Chef Juke for The DMV Hotties
GREAT info.. Thanks Chef Juke!

dustydan
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: KZZ

Post by dustydan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:59 pm

Has anyone heard back from DMV? What was the wait time previous years? Thanks.

SnowBlind

Post by SnowBlind » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:17 pm

dustydan wrote:Has anyone heard back from DMV? What was the wait time previous years? Thanks.
Any data from previous years will be useless as they have a completely different process this year.

Afaik, some people have recieved answers already, but the majority of applications will go thru serveral rounds, so it could be a while longer.

WileE13
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Jefferson High Life

Post by WileE13 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:14 am

Thanks for the post BRCDMV, it really helps to see what doesn't make it since we generally only see those that do.

A question for experienced mutant vehicle builders: What if the "base" vehicle is unique and interesting to begin with? Can some of it show and be integrated into the overall design? I ask because I've been restoring a classic 63' Jato Walker Executive Golf Cart with the hope it can be used as a base for a MV. Thing is, I don't necessarily want to cover some of the nice factory lines. The reason I want to use a golf cart is because it will fit in my custom late 40's Spartan Manor that we've converted to a toy hauler.

I don't have a pic of it, but here is a similar cart, basically looks like mine before I stripped it completely and repainted everything.

http://thumbs4.picclick.com/d/w1600/pic ... t-Very.jpg

Dr Helix
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:26 am

The most important question to ask yourself will be; "When I get done, will anyone know what the original chassis is?" Meaning, will the original vehicle be so altered as to not be noticed for what it was. If you can do that AND combine the lines you want to highlight on it , you'll be fine. The small MV's are especially scrutinized because the perception by many is that they are simply a "conveyance" car; only made so the driver can bop around the playa. Once you get an idea of how you want to modify it, draw some very clear sketches of the design to present along with you application for next year. That will go a long way in helping decide if your car gets in. Good luck!
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:12 pm

There are a lot of antique or classic vehicles that could be used to build mutant vehicles.
In general, the criteria is the same.
Its pretty much like Helix said. People shouldn't be able to tell what the "base vehicle" is - and not just because they don't happen to know what a '47 Crosley looks like.
"Restoring" and "building a mutant vehicle" are as close to opposite, mutually-exclusive terms as you can get.

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”