Disabled vehicle permit vs Art car

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
chucked
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Desert Morning

Disabled vehicle permit vs Art car

Postby chucked » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:55 pm

next year we will have to decide whether we bring our car as a disabled person vehicle again, or go through the regular DMV art car process.

are there any reasons to not go through the disabled vehicle program?

from our reasoning, its a lot less paperwork, and means that there will be one more art car on the playa (due to the limited number of art car permits the DMV is allowed to issue)

thoughts?

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Re: Disabled vehicle permit vs Art car

Postby Dr Helix » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:37 pm

I guess I would ask; has something changed? You make it sound like you could go either way. If it is truly a disabled person vehicle then you would go through that process. MV? the other. You really need to decide what your car is first. The rest will follow.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:28 pm

The MV standards increase every year. You can make your disability vehicle as mutant as you like within the disability vehicle program! How can you mutate it to talk about you?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:38 pm

chucked wrote:next year we will have to decide whether we bring our car as a disabled person vehicle again, or go through the regular DMV art car process.

are there any reasons to not go through the disabled vehicle program?

from our reasoning, its a lot less paperwork, and means that there will be one more art car on the playa (due to the limited number of art car permits the DMV is allowed to issue)

thoughts?

I would personally go through the disabled vehicle option, if legally entitled to do so (as it sounds like you are?) . . . then decorate and light the vehicle as much as is feasible anyway, as a contribution to all who see it and to those who will ride in it. I don't see the point of risking less transportation for the disabled by miscategorizing your vehicle. Criteria for mutant vehicles is pretty high.

Out of curiosity--do you offer the vehicle to those in your camp? Or lend it to a camp that offers assistance?

(I've been involved with a camp who did both/either, depending on the need at the time.)
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

chucked
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Desert Morning

Postby chucked » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:59 pm

the car will definitely qualify for a day and night DMV permit, but that doesnt mean im keen on going through their tedious application process and wait in long lines to have them check off the car.

my best friend and co-creator in this project does have all the necessary handicap qualifications.

does he NEED to be on board for us to drive around though?

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Dr Helix » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:59 am

Yes. The following is from Burning man MV guide:

Disabled Person’s Vehicle Criteria and Licensing
“Disabled Person’s Vehicle” licenses are issued by the DMV to participants with physical disabilities. Just like Mutant Vehicles, you should pre-register in order to get a license to operate a Vehicle for People with Disabilities.

For general information regarding vehicles at Burning Man, go here.
For information on bringing a Mutant Vehicle to Burning Man, go here.

How do you get a license?
Read the Black Rock City Vehicle Protocols and Driving Rules at Burning Man.
Meet the DMV’s Disabled Person’s Vehicle License Criteria (below).
Pre-register your vehicle through our online application form. All vehicles should be pre-registered through this form to be considered for on playa licensing.
Bring your vehicle to the DMV at Black Rock City for final vehicle inspection.
Once licensed, the person with the disability MUST be in the vehicle any time it is driven in Black Rock City. Others cannot drive the vehicle without the person with the disability in the vehicle.

So your friend would have to be in the vehicle for you to use it.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”