Looking for assistance/advice with art car in San Francisco

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
martinelizardo
Burning Since: 2017

Looking for assistance/advice with art car in San Francisco

Postby martinelizardo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:45 am

Hi everyone!

I'm working on getting two art cars running. They're battery-powered golf carts with a generator to power an audio system and lighting. They're currently in storage and we probably need someone with experience working on electric systems to help us get them working. They've been to Burning Man before and I think the dust has caused problems.

Thank you for your help!

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Re: Looking for assistance/advice with art car in San Francisco

Postby Chowski » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:55 pm

Sorry I can't help with the electrical components, but my buddy Radical Self-Reliance can, and his fee is very, very low. You should reach out to him!

martinelizardo

Postby martinelizardo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:05 pm

Mmmm. Thank you for the advice. If you get injured on the Playa, come find me. Of course, instead of treating you, I'll tell you to do it yourself.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Dr Helix » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:05 pm

Chowski's advice aside, it's awful late to find anyone to work on anything Burn related, as everyone is scrambling to get their shit in order. I'd say your best bet is to get them to a golf cart repair shop. They might at least get them running again. The audio is tougher so no advice there. Good luck.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:20 pm

You went through all the trouble of registering and getting approvals on not one, but two different mutant vehicles and then didn't bother to start working on them until August?

Man, that's kind of a bummer. They only have so many mutant vehicle licenses (and subsequently invitations) to dole out every year, there were probably more than a few potential builders who didn't make the cut but were willing to put in the time and energy to make their builds work. I strongly encourage you to rally your campmates, and rally your crew and get 'er done.

martinelizardo

Postby martinelizardo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:36 pm

Hey trilobyte,

Those are all great points. I was just handed this project by my camp leader yesterday, so I'm scrambling myself to get it done. Our local campmates and another camp of friends are helping us work on it. I think they just need a little work. The cars are all set up, they just need to be fixed up a little. We just need to find the right person.

martinelizardo

Postby martinelizardo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:37 pm

Dr Helix wrote:Chowski's advice aside, it's awful late to find anyone to work on anything Burn related, as everyone is scrambling to get their shit in order. I'd say your best bet is to get them to a golf cart repair shop. They might at least get them running again. The audio is tougher so no advice there. Good luck.

Yeah, I was just handed this project yesterday by my camp leader. I know it's late notice. Thank you for the advice!

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:16 am

martinelizardo wrote: They've been to Burning Man before and I think the dust has caused problems.

Lesson to be taken by all Burners: playa dust isn't just "dust", it's highly corrosive!
Never count on any machinery to work again next year without some attention.

I'd be heavily berating you for starting now, in August (WFT!!!) but if this was just dumped on your lap then whoever planned that is the bonehead and you're the hero for getting it done.
With time being so short, the advice to get these things to a golf cart repair shop is probably a good idea. I'd do it ASAP, they may not have time to drop whatever else they're doing and get right on them.
If they weren't plugged into a battery maintainer/trickle charger since being stored after last year, you may just need to put new batteries in.

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”