Dust trail prevention

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
chucked
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Desert Morning

Dust trail prevention

Postby chucked » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:32 am

im hoping we can all share strategies that we've experimented with to minimize the amount of dust our art cars kick up.

some strategies might work at 3mph, some at 5mph, some at 10mph, and some at higher speeds (not that we've ever done that right?)

ill start, my most effective dust preventer was to use a plastic hula table skirt around the whole art car, this drastically keeps the dust levels down.

careful planning in generator exhaust ducting position and aim has also helped prevent stationary dust kickup.

im sure tires could have a major impact as well, anybody here have some learnings to share about that? maybe some rubber flaps right behind the tire could help a lot? thats something i could easily implement if so

heres a pic of my car at camp showing the hula skirt.
FB_IMG_1505313428211.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Dust trail prevention

Postby AntiM » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:33 am

Plastic hula skirts generate MOOP like mad. I picked up a lot of that shit this year, blown into our camp. Almost as bad as feathers.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:25 am

Since the shape and form of mutant vehicles is so varied and unlimited, there isn’t much in the way of standardized dust reduction except going slower.
If yours dropped any of that stuff AntiM had to pick up, just slowing down and raising less dust would have been better.
I think you just used that stuff to hide that it isn’t really a full custom vehicle.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: FLUNGERDROUND

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:15 am

My next art car will be built on a street sweeper. All crew members outfitted with gasoline powered leaf blowers.

This shit is supposed to be dusty.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:17 am

it's nice of you to try to mitigate the dust.
That said, the change will be minimal, at best, and there is a good chance the dangly bits would create dust on their own, and as others have pointed out, probably cause more problems with moop. But, I don't want to take away from your good thoughts.
As stated, just driving slow it probably the best for low dust, though if you just follow a water truck around, it'd be better......
Dust is a part of the experience out there, and , well, no one expects you to not make it. Being thoughtful is the best you can do.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:36 am

Your car is very cute. The first thing I think of when I see those hula skirts is MOOP. Don't use them. Non-moopy cloth would be one alternative. (If you must hide your undercarriage.) Extra points for back lighting.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:02 pm

Even if the “hula skirt” gizmo is 100% moop free, tested and certified, the perception stigma is strong.

Now thinking dust reduction is double thumbs up.

Since speeds are too low for any real drafting and aerodynamic type stuff caused by the vehicle chassis, and your exhaust is already dealt with, it’s all about tire surface area.

Less tire contact surface area will result in less dust.

Exposed tires with no additional surfaces near them (think formula 1 race cars) will make less dust.

Larger diameter but skinnier tire - less dust.

I just don’t see your motorized furniture being able to accommodate any of these aspects of dust reduction.

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”