Art Car Insurance

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
renomelissa

Art Car Insurance

Post by renomelissa » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:14 am

Hello Fellow Burners,

My husband and I have purchased a 2-ton flatbed truck that we are turning into an awesome art car for BM 2005. It will have an upper observation deck/dance floor, comfortable seating, killer sound system, solar-powered EL wire and LED lighting, cool tapestries, etc.

Our problem: finding liability insurance. No one wants to insure the vehicle for less than $2,000 per year (ouch). Does anyone out there have any good insurance sources, including either short-term insurance, event insurance or the like? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Burn on,
Renomelissa

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:17 am

Before I gave up on this (if I think I need insurance, why are I bringing an art car?), I was talking to an independant broker who did parade insurance, you could specify the dates that the coverage would be in effect (which greatly reduced the prices). You might ask around about that. If you have any success, please post back so that others can follow in your steps!

tpy

art car insurance

Post by tpy » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:27 am

I do a lot of event insurance and could probably help you out. email me at tpy@well.com if you want to pursue it.

Bob A

Re: Art Car Insurance

Post by Bob A » Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:18 pm

renomelissa wrote:Hello Fellow Burners,

My husband and I have purchased a 2-ton flatbed truck that we are turning into an awesome art car for BM 2005. It will have an upper observation deck/dance floor, comfortable seating, killer sound system, solar-powered EL wire and LED lighting, cool tapestries, etc.

Our problem: finding liability insurance. No one wants to insure the vehicle for less than $2,000 per year (ouch). Does anyone out there have any good insurance sources, including either short-term insurance, event insurance or the like? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Burn on,
Renomelissa
Well $2000 a year is only $38 a week. Do what I do with my RV I routinely increase and decrease the amount of insurance on it whether I'm using it or not. When its in my driveway I cancel almost all of it and then have my agent put it back on when I go on the road. They don't mind its part of what they are supposed to do for you.

In your case you would buy the policy put down what ever they ask and then cancel the policy when you get home. You would get a refund for what ever is left over. 2 or 3 weeks would cost $100 or so.

Bob A

tpy

Post by tpy » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:20 pm

actually, its not the same thing. typical personal auto (or RV) coverage doesnt extend to modified vehicles, OR off-road use, both of which would apply in the above cited situation. You also cant depend on getting all of your money back if you cancel mid term, they aren't required to give you return premium on a pro-rata basis if you cancel and they can apply both a minimum premium clause (like, they keep 50% of the premium even if you only use it one day) as well as a short rate penalty (they only give you back 80% of the return premium).

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:09 pm

Don't own it. Start a Nevada LLC (cheap here) and sell it to the entity.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

just a thought..

Post by TomServo » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:29 am

Is your art car pre registered with th Dept. of Mutant Vehicles? before you buy insurance, it may be worth while to get that done...so you don't wind up in long term parking. I hate turning art cars down, it really really sucks!! especially when their project is as big and involved as yours sounds..good luck!!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

burningflyer

Insurance could save your Ass (ets)

Post by burningflyer » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:14 am

Found this incident that Draka had, to be on eye opener.

"I would like to start with dispelling a Draka rumor from last year's event - Draka was not banned from BM'04. Yes, there was an accident at BM'03, BUT, it was determined at the scene of the accident by law enforcement and the Black Rock Rangers that Draka and her crew were not responsible for the woman's injury. Unfortunately, there were some complications afterward - The woman carried no health insurance and looked for a source to tap into to cover her bills. ONE OF THE BURNING MAN ATTORNEYS TOLD HER TO GO AFTER THE ART CAR ARTIST. Lucky for me, I am a starving artist and a lawsuit would have led nowhere. One would think Burning Man's liability insurance or the BLM would have taken responsibility and covered such costs for this unfortunate woman who was injured on BLM Public Land that was being used by Burning Man."

The original post and replys can be found on Tribe.

http://california.tribe.net/thread/76d7 ... 7a540020c2

jeffreyfrog

Post by jeffreyfrog » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:22 pm

I didn't think you could get liability that low anymore. Which requires 300,000/500,000 on auto. If you carry a 25/50 minimum, I hope you don't have any assets that you want to keep. That will be burned through if someone has to spend a day in the hospital. in Wisconsin. I think Doyle is setting the lowest limit. You have to be able to cover the damages if you don't carry insurance, but that doesn't amount to shit. But, seriously, if you can't afford to insure youself to cover what you may do to other people's property and person, perhaps that means you can't afford to drive. I know that sounds elitist, but, seriously, I don't want some asshole running into me, putting me in the hospital for a month, and having a 10K insurance policy.

New York Auto Glass

Playa Tom

Post by Playa Tom » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:34 pm

That's really a nice art car you got there. Be a shame if something happened to it. Give me a little money every week for insurance and I'll make sure nothing happens to it.

Sham

Post by Sham » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:40 pm

This is a 4 year old thread that was brought back from the dead. I was tempted to ignore this, except that some may find this info useful.

I had my art car registered for years as a standard automobile, despite it's outrageous appearance. If I were in an accident, I would only be covered for the base vehicle--maybe $500. I was afraid that insurance would be really high, or I may be rejected and could not keep the car on the road. There is a company that specializes in collectable and unique cars, and the rates were substantially less than stock insurance. What took me so long.

This is a reputable carrier for this unique insurance. Check out Hagerty Insurance at www.hagerty.com

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:24 pm

You could insure art cars as parade floats - and there are policies for single day events, one week etc. Call an agent, your not going to be able to get Geico or Progressive online to do it.

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:20 am

Double necromancy for the win!

So for anyone who might be thinking about buying insurance for a mutant vehicle at burning man:

Parade insurance is not Burning Man insurance. Any insurance companies could be well within their rights to deny any claim made for something that is clearly not a parade.

RV insurance is not Burning Man liability insurance.

If you expect any sort of coverage at all the policy must explicitly cover the activities that covered vehicle is engaging in.

Fractured Atlas is an organization that offers liability insurance for installations, camps and mutant vehicles for Burning Man. They have been known to be outrageously expensive. Last year I found liability insurance for The Bonerpillar at approximately one tenth of the quote I received from FA.

If anyone is interested in contact info for my insurance agent please get in touch via PM.

Also worth mentioning is that the company who insured the Bonerpillar last year offers liability insurance for art installations at other events as well.

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: BONERPILLAR

Post by A-RockLeFrench » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Alright, I have permission to publicly post contact info so now ya'll don't have to flood my inbox anymore.

Crimson Business Insurance
San Francisco: 415-572-2173
ambere@crimsoninsurance.com

Just say you're looking for Burning Man insurance.

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”