Tricycle fabbing advice: bending square tube

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
rodiponer
Burning Since: 2009

Tricycle fabbing advice: bending square tube

Post by rodiponer » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:44 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am making a two seat tricycle with side-by-side seats.

I want to bend 2" aluminum square tubing over a large radius (26"). I don't have the proper tool. Have you folks ever done something like the 'cut nearly all the way through tube, bend, and weld back together' way shown in this video?

A sketch is attached. The drive wheels are in the front, and a bicycle fork steers in the rear. I'll add the pedals last, when it's complete enough that I can sit in it and see where is comfortable for them.

I'm a little worried the rear fork bearings ('headset?') will be under too much torque. Since this design has a shorter wheelbase than a pedicab, though it will also weigh half as much.

IMG_20190201_124650.jpg
Photo of a couch I made with 2x2x0.125 tubing. I like the angular look, but I think it will clash with the wheels, thus my desire to bend tubing.
IMG_20180307_164117 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canoe

Re: Tricycle fabbing advice: bending square tube

Post by Canoe » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:20 pm

Well, if you can't find a way to DIY or a place to bend that without compromising its strength, you do have a tried and true method of fabbing with straight pieces.
I find straight pieces make a nice contrast to the round wheels.
And two pieces joined at 90 can be three at 45, or four at 30, etc..
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:25 pm

I've done cut and weld on mild steel and it worked well. Go for it! At worst you will gain experience. At best rousing success!!!
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:32 pm

Well, if it doesn't have to be square you could check out a place that makes custom exhausts. Who knows, they might be able to do square as well. A pipefitter (not a plumber) could do this for you. Most largeish electrical contractors have the hydraulic power tools to do this, you might need to look for the shoes.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:52 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:25 pm
I've done cut and weld on mild steel and it worked well. Go for it! At worst you will gain experience. At best rousing success!!!
^^^^ this. Motsky is a master, and speaks truth.
you can go as far as calculating the differing measurements inside and outside of the curve, and determine width of cuts for the number of cuts you make and spacing. Understanding, the more cuts, the smoother the curve.
Good luck. And, post results, if you do it!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”