Limousines on playa

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding the building and creation of mutant vehicles in Black Rock City
hullabaloo
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Heavy Meta

Limousines on playa

Post by hullabaloo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:48 am

Hello,

I have been dreaming of driving a limo to the playa and turning it into a MV. Over the years, the idea has evolved into this: turn the limo into a convertible (ideally with a detachable roof), create a limo cover out of gutted stuffed animals and pair up with BAIT or offer silly 'official tours'. I would intend to use it only as a day vehicle, not night.

My question to you, fellow ePlayaians, is would such a modification fit the criteria for a MV? This line taken from the MV Criteria and Licensing page has me thinking it could be a possible - "Consideration may be given to vehicles that are presented outside of their normal context".

It DOES look like this has been done before. To get a better idea of what I'm currently envisioning, I've attached an image of a vehicle that looks like it made it out to the dust (though I am unsure of the artist). I'm betting you can all picture what a limo with roof hacked off looks like.

Any comments, suggestions or snark would be appreciated. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
take me down to black rock city
where the grass ain't green and the girls are dirty
oh won't you pleeeeeease take me home

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: Limousines on playa

Post by Ratty » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:33 pm

DMV is pretty specific about the original vehicle not being recognizable. I don't think they will license a car covered with stuffed animals. Even if it is a limo. I think it's too cheezee. And I love cheezee. With all the designing, time and money put into the MVs this looks like just a way to drive rather than bike. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Dr Helix
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Nope. And Nope. I have friends up in Canada that redid a cadillac into a beautiful bar in the middle. Called it "The Limo Bar" I mean this thing was a work of art. And they tried to get it into Burning Man. Turned down twice. One of the criteria of the DMV is that the base vehicle has to be radically modified so you don't even know what it is. Limos or any car like vehicles won't get invited. I mean you're welcome to try. But don't get your hopes up.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

hullabaloo

Post by hullabaloo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:49 pm

Thanks Ratty + Dr Helix, those are indeed the replies I was hoping to hear. Shame about your pal's limo though, Dr Helix - I'd love to see it.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:56 pm

Exceptions are made every year, but there is usually a very long history and merit behind the exception.

The Hearse that was operated a while back was quite recognizable as a hearse but was operated in a larger art context.

Some over-the-top flame vehicles are slim on the mutations but magnificent in the fire displays.

Overall, the perception of a stuffed animal / teddy bear covers car would be: “OMG that was fricking lazy”.

Unless you have a few hundred people shooting AR-15s at the stuffed animals as you drive by, then It would be way cool.

Only way I see that getting a permit is if you dedicated it to being a mobility-service cruiser with full ADA accessibility and run it like that for the better part of each day. Even then you’d need to know the right people and have an existing sweat-equity rep in the community.

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:27 pm

And it's too long to get a personal license for a disabled vehicle. Someone on this board had their limo refused on that note.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:32 pm

15 or so years ago, someone set up a large movie screen on the roof of a limo and towed a large trailer with movie theater seats set up on it. I don't recall the movies, but things like that were allowed in the old days.

hullabaloo

Post by hullabaloo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:12 pm

Token wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:56 pm
Unless you have a few hundred people shooting AR-15s at the stuffed animals as you drive by, then It would be way cool.
I do like this idea, though perhaps flamethrowers would be more appropriate. Let me go back to the drawing board.
Sham wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:32 pm
15 or so years ago, someone set up a large movie screen on the roof of a limo and towed a large trailer with movie theater seats set up on it. I don't recall the movies, but things like that were allowed in the old days.
The ante has been upped.

I snapped a pic of this old Cadillac (?) at BM a few years back which also lead me to believe a limo could get a pass. Now I wonder if the person behind the wheel just drove it onto playa. Loved that keg in the trunk :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:30 pm

That is most likely a DPW car. There is a whole menagerie of cars, trucks and cobbled together shit boxes that are part of that group.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:14 pm

A limo covered in stuffed animals is not gonna get licensed.
Yes several have been done before but the rules change and the standards evolve.
I think that’s a good thing, it keeps out the zero-effort cars covered in stuffed animals... there used to be a saying, “Spray painting a penis on the side of daddy’s Lexus does not make it an art car”.
You’ll see all kinds of vehicles on the playa, that doesn’t mean they’re wearing Mutant licenses. They can be DPW vehicles, staff vehicles, Ranger vehicles...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:47 pm

Reinforce the roof, add small wheels to it, and make it drive around the playa upside down with all passengers forced to hang from five-point harnesses, and you'd still probably have trouble getting it approved these days. If that helps set the bar.

hullabaloo

Post by hullabaloo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:36 am

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I've come to this conclusion:

A stuffed animal covered limo may not be weird enough for Burning Man, but it will be weird enough for my suburban neighbourhood.

hullabaloo

Post by hullabaloo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:44 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:14 pm
“Spray painting a penis on the side of daddy’s Lexus does not make it an art car”.
This would make an EXCELLENT bumper sticker.

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:43 pm

Sham wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:32 pm
I remember that! Word on the street was they showed movies in the city but sometimes a feed from the back seat when roaming deep playa. Never saw it in deep playa so I can not confirm.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:33 pm

Sham wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:30 pm
That is most likely a DPW car. There is a whole menagerie of cars, trucks and cobbled together shit boxes that are part of that group.
I believe it is/was GPE.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Building Mutant Vehicles”