Directed sale?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place.
bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Re: Directed sale?

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Been very buried in default stuff this month, so I was afraid maybe I missed something. Fingers shall remain crossed :-)
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:40 pm

As a general rule, once the invitations go out, the placement team sends a message to the entire group letting people know that. I should imagine that similar is true for DMV and other groups. For questions regarding invitations, you should get in touch with the people from that group or department.

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:35 pm

Yea! Inbox presents at 10pm. Thank you!

bigbluedoggy

Post by bigbluedoggy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:41 pm

Finger crossing apparently worked for us!

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:00 am

To those unfamiliar with the process, they do not give invitations to all placed camps, mutant vehicles, or builders of mutant vehicles. The Directed Group Sale is intended to help pre-identified, established collaborative groups get access to tickets for their critical team members so that they can begin planning their projects. Access to this sale is by invitation only and is based upon past history of contribution.

Invitation emails began going out to project leaders last night. My understanding is that once all the invitations go out, an 'all clear' email will go out to that group's closed mailing list (placement, DMV, etc). As expected, this year's change to the Directed Group Sale (tickets are allocated for each invitation) means that there are fewer invitations. Congrats to those who've received them, and good luck to those still waiting to hear.

newp_newp
Burning Since: 2013

Post by newp_newp » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:09 am

So I've received the email granting me access to register for the directed sale (yay!), however I'm a bit confused about some of the wording in the email.
It states:
You are registered for the 2016 Directed Group Sale. Keep in mind that your own registration counts as one of your group’s total allocated invitations to the DGS.

But then right below it reads:
you will have the ability to invite 4 additional person/people to the sale through your Burner Profile. (emphasis mine)

I would conservatively read this to mean we have access to 8 tickets, including mine (each registration has the ability to purchase two), but alternatively, it could be read as my individual registration code, plus 4 additional invites for registration codes. If the word "additional" weren't in there, I would assume 4 access codes total, but it does say "additional", so I'm not clear.

Can someone who knows clarify this for me, or is this something that will be made clear when I register tomorrow?

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:06 am

You wonder where the copy writers are some time for these emails. It is confusing language. If past is any indicator though your group got 5 invites total. Yours plus 4 others.
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

Elliot
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:43 am

I agree this is not entirely clear, and ought to be worded better. But I read it as 10 tickets total in the above example. It will become clear when you open the online form to enter the other purchasers' e-mail addresses. But it would be nice if the wording could be "perfected".

While I'm at it... the Placement and Ticketing folks surely deserve a standing ovation for their massive effort to get this ready in time!
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:06 am

I haven't received any clarification from the ticket team. Please direct any questions you have about the email to the ticket support team, using ticketsupport@burningman.org.

newp_newp

Post by newp_newp » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:20 am

Ok, thanks all, I'll assume it'll be clarified once I register. If not, I'll go ahead and bother placement about it.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:29 am

Checking my own email and burner profile, it seems less confusing.

The person receiving the email (a camp or team leader) is already registered. That person (in your case, you) does not need to enter their own Burner Profile email address into the form so that they can participate in the sale. So it's the person who got the email plus x invitations.

My guess (and this is only a guess, since I have not heard from the ticket team) is that at one point the idea was that the form letter would begin by telling you the total number of invitations that the project was to receive.... but somewhere along the way that either never happened or was omitted. Once I hear something back, I'll post an update.

zerzura

Post by zerzura » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:03 am

From reading the ticketing page, it seems that every invite is valid to purchase 2 tickets, but I am not sure. Does anyone know if this is correct? ie: If I am sent an invite for 4 additional people, the total number of DGS tickets I can purchase would be 10 (myself + the 4 invites x 2).

newp_newp

Post by newp_newp » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:10 am

Checking my own email and burner profile, it seems less confusing.

The person receiving the email (a camp or team leader) is already registered. That person (in your case, you) does not need to enter their own Burner Profile email address into the form so that they can participate in the sale. So it's the person who got the email plus x invitations.

My guess (and this is only a guess, since I have not heard from the ticket team) is that at one point the idea was that the form letter would begin by telling you the total number of invitations that the project was to receive.... but somewhere along the way that either never happened or was omitted. Once I hear something back, I'll post an update.

It didn't even occur to me to check my profile, I guess I assumed that nothing would change there until the registration period opened, but you're right, it's clearer looking at that that I've got four invites, and one of them does not need to be me since they've already given me a ticket code in the email they sent out.
Thanks for pointing that out to undercaffeinated me!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:29 am

@zerzura - Yes, as specified on the ticketing page each invitation allows the person to purchase up to 2 tickets and 1 vehicle pass.

@newp_newp - I did hear back from the ticket team, and they confirmed that it is the email recipient PLUS the specified number of additional invites. So in your case it would be 1+4, or 5 total invitations.

zerzura

Post by zerzura » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:36 am

Thank you for the clarification Trilo. It changes how I send the invites.

Peritwinkle
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A - Peritwinkle's venue

Post by Peritwinkle » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:10 am

Has all the invitations for participation into the Directed Group Sale gone out?

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:27 am

Not yet - my understanding is that the project leads who received an email with general information about the directed group sale will hear from their respective team (placement, DMV, etc) to let them know when all invitations have been sent.

Even though invited group leaders will be able to start adding team members at noon PST today, there's no need to panic. The invitation form will be open until Friday, March 4th at 12pm (noon) PST. Even if a group does not get an email until the end of this week, they would still have nearly a full week to enter their team member's info.

Peritwinkle
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A - Peritwinkle's venue

Post by Peritwinkle » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:00 pm

If a camp has been a very active theme camp for many years in excellent standing with green on the MOOP map, but for some circumstances they were not able to attend in 2015, does this mean that they will not be on the list for those invited to the Directed group sale? ...thank you Trilobyte

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:29 pm

@Peritwinkle - That sounds like a question to have asked the placement team some time ago. Taking a guess, I would say that a group that did not participate last year would not be invited to participate in the directed group sale this year. I think it's a matter of short supply - while your camp may be awesome, there aren't enough invitations to go around to take care of all the groups who did a great job and were participating last year.

westsideburns
Camp Name: Camp Scatter

Post by westsideburns » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:00 pm

From this Thread...the allotment (aka invitations) to DSG is not widely public...

I have several curiosities.

Will a Theme Camp lose allotment (aka invitations) the follow year for un-used invitations?

If a Campmate does not use his/her invitation by a certain date (yet before March 9th), could the camp leader invite another campmate? In other words, could the camp leader uninvited someone before the invitation is used?

These curiosities come from not knowing if the core support members even have the finances to buy tickets today. Yet the camp will still need X number of support personnel.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:01 pm

March 9th is the first day that you can buy a dgs ticket
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

bigbluedoggy

Post by bigbluedoggy » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:34 pm

westsideburns wrote: If a Campmate does not use his/her invitation by a certain date (yet before March 9th), could the camp leader invite another campmate? In other words, could the camp leader uninvited someone before the invitation is used?
It says you can edit your list of invitees up until the close of the registration period on March 4. You can put in or remove whoever you want on your list until then, but whatever you have listed at close of registration is what you get.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:16 pm

@wastedburns - to try and answer your questions. From the ticketing support site...
In order to support the core social infrastructure of Black Rock City, we are continuing to take steps to ensure critical theme camps, art groups, mutant vehicle producers and Black Rock City infrastructure volunteers have access to targeted ticket sales. Providing these dedicated groups with access to tickets early on allows for their project planning to commence and also decreases demand (and therefore competition) for tickets in the Individual Sale.

The Directed Group Sale is intended to help pre-identified, established collaborative groups get access to tickets for their critical team members so that they can begin planning their projects. Access to this sale is by invitation only and is based upon past history of contribution.
Camp leaders have until noon PST to edit their invitation list. Once that form closes, no changes or substitutions may be made to the list. My advice for camp leaders is to check with the members of their team, and only include those critical teammates who say they will be able to participate in the sale. If you don't have enough people who are able to participate in the sale to use all your invitations, leave the empty field(s) blank. If a group does not use up all their invites in a given year, it does not count against the camp in subsequent years. The number of invitations can and does change from year to year, but that has more to do with the total number of invites that year, and the number of potential groups. The numbers on all those things (camps, vehicles, projects, and total number of invitations) changes from year to year. My understanding is that any unused or unsold tickets from the Directed Group Sale are then placed into either the main or OMG sales.

It's better to leave empty fields than to 'stuff the box' and fill up/use up every slot, in my personal opinion. Teams found to be abusing the system (through offering invitations outside their group, using them as enticements to join or pay dues, etc) run the risk of losing their good standing status (so they wouldn't be able to participate in the future), or even losing their placement/invitation to participate.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:24 pm

I'd also add that teams might want to put their heads together. If you've got a key campmate or crewmember who's planning to go but just doesn't have the means to purchase a ticket during the directed group sale, but will have the means 2 weeks later... check with the other members of the group to see if someone can loan that person the money for the ticket purchase.

shykat

Post by shykat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:50 am

The invite page has no summit button. Does just filling in the email address and getting the "good to go" quote register our invtees?

Thanks
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix

zorro sings
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Hostel

Post by zorro sings » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:14 am

yes
Be careful. You can spend all your money in there..............................Oriental Visitor

Jovankat
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:19 am

The submission will happen when the form closes on March 4th. You can clear an email and put a different one in until then.

westsideburns
Camp Name: Camp Scatter

Post by westsideburns » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:42 pm

[quote]Access to these tickets is guaranteed for 72 hours from the beginning of the sale (Wednesday, March 9 at 12pm (noon) PST) through its end on Saturday, March 12 at 12pm PST.[/quote]

The DGS email mentioned that we have a 72 hour purchasing window. Yet someone mentioned the DGS sale ending in less than a hour (they may have meant the General sale).

So my question relates to what ticketing issues may we anticipate through this 72 hour access to the DGS sale. In other words, how did it go for other DGS participants in previous years?

I want to relay the appropriate info when coordinate our core team.

Elliot
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:30 pm

This year cannot be compared with last year, as the system has been changed.
Last year was first-come-first-served. The "accessibility factor" (my own whimsical term) was much better than in the Main sale, but it was still possible to miss out.
This year the DGS is not "overbooked". There are now no more buyers than there are tickets. I reckon they put a three day limit on it pretty much just to get it done and out of the way. :D
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

motskyroonmatick
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:09 pm

westsideburns wrote:
Access to these tickets is guaranteed for 72 hours from the beginning of the sale (Wednesday, March 9 at 12pm (noon) PST) through its end on Saturday, March 12 at 12pm PST.
The DGS email mentioned that we have a 72 hour purchasing window. Yet someone mentioned the DGS sale ending in less than a hour (they may have meant the General sale).

So my question relates to what ticketing issues may we anticipate through this 72 hour access to the DGS sale. In other words, how did it go for other DGS participants in previous years?

I want to relay the appropriate info when coordinate our core team.
I advised all my camp members who I entered in the DGS for this year to complete the purchase in the first 24 hours of the sale. That way if there is a glitch in the system we are not heading in to the end of the sale with little time to troubleshoot.

In previous years I encouraged all camp mates in the DGS or the main sale to be online when the sale opened and to execute their purchase as fast as possible. This will be unnecessary by design for the DGS this year and it will mean thousands of people don't have to take the day off of work to ensure that they get a ticket so their camps can be successful. It's an improvement.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Return to “Tickets Discussion”