Burning Man 2016 Ticket Information

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place.
JohnEBGud
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Play-a Piano

Re: Burning Man 2016 Ticket Information

Post by JohnEBGud » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:34 am

Most web design today is done with both desktop computers and mobile devices in mind. It's a bit of a pain to scroll on mobile devices, especially when driving one-handed :twisted: . The accordion menu provides a means of conveniently concentrating information and revealing it with a tap rather than by scrolling the page or navigating through multiple pages.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.
--Wm. Blake

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:50 am

:idea:
Oooooo.... Thanks, JohnEBGud! My lightbulb finally went on! And now I am embarrassed to have asked that question -- especially since Trilo explained to me only days ago about mobile devices.

I was actually thinking how much easier it is to scroll than to open different "pleats" in an "accordion".

Trilo, I apologize for asking essentially the same question after you recently answered it.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
No phones, tobacco, or politics in our public areas, please.

Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!

Email: elliotsbikes@outlook.com

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:27 pm

No worries (and no need to apologize). And +1 to what Eric said... I'm neither a part of the ticketing team nor a part of the web team. All things ticketing, and the ticketing-related pages would go to them. The ticket team works directly with the web team to get their pages built, as well as to publish the content. They could better speak to your questions about their design decisions, as well as addressing your interest in having something that can be printed easily.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:32 pm

Personally, the ticket structure for 2016 far exceeded my expectations!

Only the BMORG knows their detailed costs. The old afterburn reports are a clue.

Those costs have to be met by the ticket income. I would purely speculate without any information whatsoever they have spent some energy on containing medical costs, a good thing. I would further speculate they would continue to aggressively negotiate with LEO, porto, the BLM and develop additional earned income from the Burner Express and other sources. They really need to tap into residuals from media projects, in my opinion.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:19 pm

Actually, these days I think there's far better information about expenses as part of the annual Form 990. A lot of the details and documents make for a really dry read, so Burning Man put together http://burningman.org/expenses/

It's a pretty cool (and interactive) chart, if you haven't seen it yet go take a peek!

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:31 pm

Oh... In case I have not mentioned.... I like this year's ticketing arrangements. And mostly I love the increase in the DGS allotment. They have been increasing it each year, and if I may use the already-tired phrase... They are doing it right.

We often discuss the issues we observe with "tourists", "frat boys", litter-bugs and other ticket-buyers who do not "get" BM -- to the detriment of the rest of us. And I have always felt we ought to have some sort of apprenticeship system. (I am very lucky and happy to have been taken under the wings of experienced Burners in 2006.) Well, the DGS system functions very much like an apprenticeship system, and it works very well.

(As for those of you who might worry about new blood being excluded from the event....
I took 14 Burgins into camp in 2015, after getting to know them all pretty well by e-mail and telephone over several months. Then I coached them. The result speaks for itself; they were all "stealth Burgins" and the camp was a roaring success -- all thanks to that new blood.
[Also, I "declined" several prospective campers. And in two cases this decision was vividly proven correct. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to sort the wheat from the chaff. Most folks who manage to become successful camp leads can surely do it. Heck, even I can do it.] )

Mods: I just realized this is a Ticket Info thread. Feel free to move this rant to the Bar thread or elsewhere.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
No phones, tobacco, or politics in our public areas, please.

Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!

Email: elliotsbikes@outlook.com

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:04 pm

trilobyte wrote:Actually, these days I think there's far better information about expenses as part of the annual Form 990. A lot of the details and documents make for a really dry read, so Burning Man put together http://burningman.org/expenses/
Thanks Trilo! With so many years of the old style Afterburn Report, it would be helpful to see a map from old expense line items to the new form 990 required categories. Does anyone know of such a thing? In any case now we can compare 990 report expenses year to year ongoing. And I do like the pie chart!

BMORG has a budget forecast, vendor contracts and plenty of proprietary information which should be proprietary and is likely boring to tears. That feeds into their ticket tier and pricing design, and this year's design is a pleasant surprise.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Tickets Discussion”