Vehicle Pass doom and gloom

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place.
Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Vehicle Pass doom and gloom

Post by Just_Joe » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:26 am

I know there was a lot of angst last year from people that had tickets but no VP and remember seeing listings on ticket sites for many hundreds of dollars.
How did it work out in the end? I remember that in 2014, people were gifting them at gate. Was this the case last year?

MikeGyver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Re: Vehicle Pass doom and gloom

Post by MikeGyver » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:57 pm

Not a complete answer, but I worked 4 gate shifts and only saw 1 vehicle pass gifted. I saw 3 tickets gifted though.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:39 am

In the end, it all worked out. That's likely because the number of vehicle passes was based on actual usage from the year before. Since the number of tickets did not increase, then the number of vehicle passes did not necessarily need to increase.

Anecdotally, within the camps of my friends there was less panic in 2015. Panic was massive in 2014 because people fear change, but after that worked out without incident people were a little less freaked last year. Some people didn't get their hands on what they needed for their group until later in the season in 2015, and a few got creative with carpooling/ridesharing, but it all worked out. I heard of fewer people who had hoarded and wound up with unused vehicle passes after-the-fact or as they arrived. With the number of tickets and vehicle passes in 2016 being the same as 2014 and 2015, I expect that things should end up working out again.

SquirrelHead
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by SquirrelHead » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:02 pm

MikeGyver wrote:Not a complete answer, but I worked 4 gate shifts and only saw 1 vehicle pass gifted. I saw 3 tickets gifted though.
This is my new ticket plan. Hangout at gate until the playa deems me worthy. :twisted:
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:11 pm

I see only one possible problem with that plan... what if you're not worthy?!
[media]
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Soul Patch
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: WMICC " Veggie Camp"

Post by Soul Patch » Tue May 31, 2016 5:08 pm

I don't completely doubt the gifting of tickets or vehicle passes at the gate. But it's hard for me to comprehend why a person would get in line potentially wait for hours to get to the gate with out a ticket or vp. Spending hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars preparing and getting yourself out to the desert seems a little silly with out a ticket. What happens when these folks get to the gate with out a ticket, if they are in a carpool, do their mates get in and make ticket less dude walk. If you drive and have no pass, are you turned around and sent away. It doesn't seem to be like hoping for a miracle ticket at a Dead show, where you hang out in front of Soldier Field for several hours, probably stoned, and enjoying the vibe, which in itself could make for an entertaining night, but if you don't score that miracle ticket, you meet your Bros at midnight, and catch a ride home, no big deal.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:22 am

Nope. Doesn't work that way. If anyone in the vehicle is ticketless you all get sent away.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:06 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:If anyone in the vehicle is ticketless you all get sent away back to Reno.
Fixed.

Also: if a vehicle is found to be carrying a stowaway, everyone in the vehicle loses their tickets and the vehicle itself is banned from entering the event. Meaning a completely different driver could show up in it with none of the original people, and that vehicle couldn't enter. Even if it's carrying your critical camp infrastructure.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Return to “Tickets Discussion”