Main Sale

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place.
Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Main Sale

Post by Elderberry » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:52 pm

pixeltrance wrote:
Jackass wrote:Hey, feel free to forward your "useless" tickets to this jackass. I'm resourceful like that...
Yeah, coming to BM from another country and not having a vehicle pass makes those tickets completely useless as there is no way that we can get there without a camper. Going to wait to see if we can get a pass thru STEP otherwise will sell the tickets for as much $$$ as possible and then use the profit to spend our vacation elsewhere. Yes, I know that goes against the whole "spirit" but honestly, I'm so pissed about the fact that nowadays it isn't enough to have a ticket to get in. Instead, we are forced to buy two different types of tickets and one type is useless without the other.
Not only is it against the whole "spirit", but the tickets would most probably be cancelled by BMORG and you would end up screwing the person you sold them to, not to mention that when they get to the event and are turned away for invalidated tickets. You won't be very popular with them.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:00 pm

Saying that you're planning on scalping your tickets is also not the best way to convince anyone who might have a spare VP to sell it to you rather than someone who isn't throwing a tantrum and making threats. :roll:

Tomaso
Burning Since: 1998
Camp Name: Desert Rats

Post by Tomaso » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:11 pm

I posted this on FB- there were several people out there that had the same experience- Out of the 4 of us trying for tickets, 3 were in the waiting room- the 4th couldn't get in and at 12:05 went to his profile and popped right in and got tickets- the other 3 got nothing- - something went wrong there with being assigned a random queue number before the others entering without the waiting room.
Comments?

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:15 pm

That Larry, he can be a tricky one at times.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:48 pm

Waiting Room seems to have been a trap.
All my friends who got into the waiting room b/w 12:45 and 12:05 got error messages and/or did not get tickets. My only campmate who did get tix did not use the waiting room, but logged in at 12:05. Pity the waiting room backfired for so many people.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:20 pm

The 11th hour email regarding the sudden change in format was a little unnerving to begin with...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:26 pm

A friend in the queue claims closing then reopening their waiting room queue window and getting to the front of the line. That illustrates my my previous post above.

I'm not criticising BMORG or TF, just pointing out there will always be unexploited code paths which are discovered by random behaviors.

Friend took a risk by closing/reopening of being dropped on their specific browser interaction with TF. There is no possibility to discover every code path unless you have infinite resources.

(Of course we expect TF to apply good, better, best design and testing)

Software - love/hate/depend.
Last edited by some seeing eye on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

winterdream28

Post by winterdream28 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:27 pm

Just my camps experience.

5 of us were in waiting room.

3 were on phones - went into waiting room at: 11:40,11:45,12:00
All got tickets and VP

1 - Was in waiting room 11:45 on computer & did not make it through.
1 - Was in waiting room at 11:45 via phone and made it through but sold out before adding tickets to cart.

So the waiting room did make it through for a lot of folks too.
"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:53 pm

pixeltrance wrote:
Yeah, coming to BM from another country and not having a vehicle pass makes those tickets completely useless as there is no way that we can get there without a camper. Going to wait to see if we can get a pass thru STEP otherwise will sell the tickets for as much $$$ as possible and then use the profit to spend our vacation elsewhere. Yes, I know that goes against the whole "spirit" but honestly, I'm so pissed about the fact that nowadays it isn't enough to have a ticket to get in. Instead, we are forced to buy two different types of tickets and one type is useless without the other.
Don't be an idiot. Vehicle passes are not impossible to come by closer to the event. You have tickets, calm down and take a deep breath. YOU HAVE TICKETS, YOU CAN GET A VP. However, you are not endearing yourself to a whole board of people who may turn up a spare down the road. This board may seem incognito to you, but most assuredly, we are not. I don't care for the VP thing, and understand being angry or frustrated, but lashing out and threatening to scalp is no way to network yourself into a VP.

Note: that was all personal opinion, not posted as a mod. Just an observation.

100ideas
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Yurtopia

Post by 100ideas » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:49 pm

I poked around on ticketfly's support pages but couldn't find any information on how their waiting room and queue systems work. I'm guessing it's only available to event organizers using their system (perhaps to make it harder for ticket-buyers to potentially game the system?).

It would be gratifying to understand the specifics. Now I just wish I had a friend who's event had used ticketfly I could ask...

pbroman
Burning Since: 2011

Post by pbroman » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:55 pm

Seven of us, all at our homes, logged in 25 minutes before the sale and watched the yellow dot. We each used our own credit cards to buy 2. We are mostly family and some friends, even 3 grandparents and 2 grandkids. Most virgins.

NONE. Yeah, none of us even came close. We did everything on the up and up. No tweaking, trying to refresh, jump ahead, or use multiple computers or browsers or nothing. And not one of us even got to add a ticket to our cart. None of us were allowed through the queue at all, except one of us who was allowed in a half hour after the sale began, even though we all logged in earlier than many people on this forum that got tickets.

We had big plans, good Minnesota people with lots to contribute, but I'm starting to think it's time for me and Burning Man to break up. Feeling unwanted. :cry:

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:08 pm

some seeing eye wrote:A friend in the queue claims closing then reopening their waiting room queue window and getting to the front of the line. That illustrates my my previous post above.

I'm not criticising BMORG or TF, just pointing out there will always be unexploited code paths which are discovered by random behaviors.

Friend took a risk by closing/reopening of being dropped on their specific browser interaction with TF. There is no possibility to discover every code path unless you have infinite resources.
Though in an unconstrained case the search space can be infinite, in this case I'm going to have to disagree with the above statement. Ticketing systems are simple queue-based service systems. The problems are very well defined, small, and solutions already exist to make the unexploitable short of a denial-of-service attack. Even then, it's not a code exploit. The key is to constrain the system sufficiently, which is what protocols are for.

The problem here is that, evidently (anecdotally?), protocol was not followed, and/or that there was disinformation spread in order to effect a different result. In the former case, the queue should've been randomized, but fixed at 12:05, comprising only those people who had signed up before 12:05. It should have been impossible for anyone joining the ticket queue after 12:05 to have receive a ticket if anyone who arrived before 12:05 was still waiting on buying a ticket. Full stop.

This was the protocol communicated to the community, and people had the expectation that the protocol would be followed. Was it followed? It seems not, as people arriving in the queue after 12:05 evidently had received tickets while other were still in line and refreshing the page manually seemed to jump people to the ticket purchasing page.

This should not have been the case. Anyone waiting patiently in line should have kept their same position, just as the person refreshing every second moment. Refreshing should have conferred no benefit whatsoever, and waiting for the browser to auto-refresh, no penalty.

It could also be that the instructions -- another protocol -- given to users were false or misleading. If they were false instructions to, for example, alleviate server load, the users were placed at a disadvantage. Under normal circumstances, without instructions, the user would fall back to probabilistic methods such as refreshing more frequently to jump into line, much like what is done in the past years with the initial surge.

I think what will happen is that people will simply not trust the instructions to not manually refresh the pages. In fact, I think people will expect that it confers a significant advantage over waiting patiently unless there is a tangible penalty. Expect server loads to be even more crushing than the original 12:00 noon all-at-once ticket fest.

To avoid this, Ticketing should show the queue position to the person in line, and enforce that queue position as expected. In the absence of such information and protocol, users should hammer the servers to maximize their chances of getting a ticket.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

100ideas
Camp Name: Yurtopia

Post by 100ideas » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:32 pm

Perhaps it worked like this:

If you arrive "early", you end up in the waiting room and are assigned an exclusive random number between 0 - 100,000,000,000.

At 12:05, the system begins dequeuing everyone who is waiting, starting with those that have the lowest numbers. If someone reloads the page at this point, or just arrives, they are assigned their own random number between 0 - 100,000,000,000. It's possible they might be assigned a number lower than many of the people who had been waiting, but ensures that you didn't have to actually wait in the waiting room to potentially get a ticket.

wraith

Post by wraith » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:42 pm

Hrm. Well, that went as well as I expected it to.

I hate to be a pessimist, but getting tickets is getting to be more of a problem than getting to the desert. :roll:

Jenifersteppat
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Jenifersteppat » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:09 pm

I have seen numerous people post that they went in before 11:45 and didn't get tickets. Maybe that was an issue-going in the waiting room early?
No matter where you go, there you are.

JohnEBGud
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Play-a Piano

Post by JohnEBGud » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:44 pm

BBadger wrote: The problem here is that, evidently (anecdotally?), protocol was not followed, and/or that there was disinformation spread in order to effect a different result. In the former case, the queue should've been randomized, but fixed at 12:05, comprising only those people who had signed up before 12:05. It should have been impossible for anyone joining the ticket queue after 12:05 to have receive a ticket if anyone who arrived before 12:05 was still waiting on buying a ticket. Full stop.
The key word is anecdotally. I've seen exactly three anecdotes about people getting right in at 12:05 and for all anyone knows all three anecdotes are referring to the same person. The question is how many people didn't get in right at 12:05?

The assumption for those of us who didn't get tickets is that the system was broken, when in reality, even if it was possible to jump the line at precisely 12:05 or do a refresh at a key instant, it was only a matter of luck that it worked, unless you somehow had inside knowledge otherwise. And luck was the common factor for everyone going into this sale. So no harm no foul.

If next time one is distrustful of the instructions given, one is certainly privileged to disregard them, knowing of course that the behavior of the system may have changed.
Last edited by JohnEBGud on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.
--Wm. Blake

Aze

Post by Aze » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Got two tickets but no vehicle pass about 12:34pm. In the queue around 11:41am, didn't refresh at all in my windows 7 firefox browser until I got all the way through the queue, at which time it showed no tickets and no vehicle passes. Started pressing refresh over and over again, and every few times I would get either vehicle passes or tickets but not both available. I decided to just grab the tickets instead of waiting for vehicle passes, which burned my promo code so it was impossible to buy a VP in the main sale even though I'm sure more came up for sale later, just not with tickets.

I can't complain too much since I came out ahead of others, but as a programmer I have these suggestions for how to make this a less annoying experience next year:

Make the tickets and vehicle passes go together so that you buy them both at the same time in the same sale. Since vehicle passes now have a higher resale profit potential and low price, people are incentivized to hoard them. Instead make two tiers of tickets: with and without vehicle passes, at different prices, so that vehicle passes can't be hoarded on their own.

Don't incentivize refreshing the order page when all the guides advise against refreshing. Maybe this means a wait of a minute after leaving the queue while the system gathers two tickets, one with vehicle pass (or whatever is desired) into a cart instead of requiring people to try and do this manually by refreshing, guessing, and hedging.

What really ticks me off is that the thread on the pre-sale implied that people who didn't get vehicle passes could contact support and get them. But when I contacted ticketing support for the main sale they said in no uncertain terms that I'm out of luck if I didn't get a vehicle pass. The implication that pre-sale gives one the right to a vehicle pass while the main sale doesn't is elitist and not in line with the values being promulgated.

I realize I came out better than most, and it sounds like I got lucky in that tickets ran out shortly after I got mine. But why not change the system so that fewer people end up with only tickets or only vehicle passes, which energizes the black market.

JohnEBGud
Camp Name: Play-a Piano

Post by JohnEBGud » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:56 pm

Aze wrote: What really ticks me off is that the thread on the pre-sale implied that people who didn't get vehicle passes could contact support and get them. But when I contacted ticketing support for the main sale they said in no uncertain terms that I'm out of luck if I didn't get a vehicle pass. The implication that pre-sale gives one the right to a vehicle pass while the main sale doesn't is elitist and not in line with the values being promulgated.
That's because there was a technical glitch during presale which caused VP's to show as unavailable within the first 5 or so minutes of the sale even though they were not sold out and were available through the sale days later. They simply sold out in the general sale. Nothing elitist at all.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.
--Wm. Blake

Just_Joe
Camp Name: Fly Ranch Project

Post by Just_Joe » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:02 pm

BBadger wrote:
To avoid this, Ticketing should show the queue position to the person in line, and enforce that queue position as expected. In the absence of such information and protocol, users should hammer the servers to maximize their chances of getting a ticket.
Ah, the good ol' days (2010). Which year was it that we got dumped a few minutes in and then returned to "you are 25,876 in line" ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Spadge63
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Spadge63 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:10 pm

I clocked in the waiting room right at 11:45 and watched the hypnotic dot blink until almost 12:06 when I was put in the queue. A friend did the same thing and we compared our progress. At 12:29, I made it to the ticket page, bought 2 tix, but the VP's were sold out. My friend only made it halfway. The waiting room sort of worked out for me at least. Now off to find a Vehicle Pass. If anyone has one available, I'll even throw in some furry swag and a hug. :D

PS. I've been told I give good hugs ever since my sister criticized my technique years ago.
“And he didn't get tired or sleepy, for the beauty burned in him like fire.”
― John Steinbeck

Jovankat
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:12 pm

Aze wrote:What really ticks me off is that the thread on the pre-sale implied that people who didn't get vehicle passes could contact support and get them. But when I contacted ticketing support for the main sale they said in no uncertain terms that I'm out of luck if I didn't get a vehicle pass. The implication that pre-sale gives one the right to a vehicle pass while the main sale doesn't is elitist and not in line with the values being promulgated.
The reason people who bought tickets in the presale but weren't able to buy vehicle passes were given a second chance to do so was because there was a bug that very early in the sale made it appear that the vehicle passes had sold out when they hadn't. The bug was rectified and people who bought their tickets after those that missed out were able to get a VP. That's a very different situation to the VPs just straight up selling out in the main sale. Plus the pre-sale didn't even end up selling out. So there were VPs left over from the presale to sell to those that missed them in that sale. That was not the case today.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:12 pm

Just_Joe wrote:Ah, the good ol' days (2010). Which year was it that we got dumped a few minutes in and then returned to "you are 25,876 in line" ?
Oh yeah, I remember back in 2011:
bm_2011_tickets.png
I think I actually had something like 624 or 632 when it started. More importantly, I remember this:
bm_2011_tickets2.png
Because that URL I screenshot-ed allowed me to get back my old queue position. I mentioned this on the forum and it helped someone else get their queue position back too.

Oh the halcyon days of Burning Man.... when the scramble was to save the cost of a vehicle pass from the ticket price, not whether we'd get a ticket in the first place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:50 am

VPs tend to shake loose in August as travel plans finalize or fall through. The Tickets Wanted forum will be open and you can post there then. Just remember, no incentives like the furry swag. We're really mean that way.
Spadge63 wrote:I clocked in the waiting room right at 11:45 and watched the hypnotic dot blink until almost 12:06 when I was put in the queue. A friend did the same thing and we compared our progress. At 12:29, I made it to the ticket page, bought 2 tix, but the VP's were sold out. My friend only made it halfway. The waiting room sort of worked out for me at least. Now off to find a Vehicle Pass. If anyone has one available, I'll even throw in some furry swag and a hug. :D

PS. I've been told I give good hugs ever since my sister criticized my technique years ago.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:45 am

BBadger wrote:
Just_Joe wrote:Ah, the good ol' days (2010). Which year was it that we got dumped a few minutes in and then returned to "you are 25,876 in line" ?
Oh yeah, I remember back in 2011:
bm_2011_tickets.png
I think I actually had something like 624 or 632 when it started. More importantly, I remember this:
bm_2011_tickets2.png
Because that URL I screenshot-ed allowed me to get back my old queue position. I mentioned this on the forum and it helped someone else get their queue position back too.

Oh the halcyon days of Burning Man.... when the scramble was to save the cost of a vehicle pass from the ticket price, not whether we'd get a ticket in the first place.
Ah yes. The 8 to 12 hour wait for tickets. Them was the good old days. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

smiffman

Post by smiffman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:34 am

Cheaters always win! Losers follow the rules!

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:01 am

i'm gonna say this just once.

if you want to get there you will get there.

you have to really want it.

not just sorta want it, or kinda want it.

if you REALLY want it, you will find a way. If you are persistent, dogged, stubborn, unwavering and steadfast to your dreams they usually come true.

thats because it's hard work sometimes.

sometimes it's easier than others.

sometimes it's a monumental struggle of biblical proportions. you never know.

you did not get your ticket yet, SO FUCKING WHAT....seriously, in the grand scheme of things if that is putting your knickers in a goddamn twist, i really feel sorry for you.....because that's fucking pathetic.

quit bitching, and do something about it....whether it's the other ticket sales or waiting til the last day because someone's cat died and now they can't go, it does not matter.

if you want to go, you'll go.....don't use this as your excuse to rage quit.

radical self reliance, and all that what not....this is ALL PART OF THE JOURNEY....burning man starts the moment you decide to go, not on sunday when the fucking gates open.

get into the mindset now, and go out there and do it, goddammit, and be thankful you are still breathing and above ground for fuck's sake.
Frida Be You & Me

tattooedreceptionist
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fhloston Paradise

Post by tattooedreceptionist » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:22 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:i'm gonna say this just once.

if you want to get there you will get there.

you have to really want it.

not just sorta want it, or kinda want it.

if you REALLY want it, you will find a way. If you are persistent, dogged, stubborn, unwavering and steadfast to your dreams they usually come true.

thats because it's hard work sometimes.

sometimes it's easier than others.
EXACTLY N VERY WELL PUT! We didn't get tickets either, so we move into the next step. We have our plane tickets, days off for work approved, RV reserved, campground reservation for food/RV prep. I have half of my gifts knit n ready to go and my RVs costume in the works (his name is swamp thing). We'll find a way to go home this year (for the first time!) :)
Norma Jean
Don't forget the pantalónes!

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 am

thats the spirit.

never

ever

ever

give

up.

i have bought tickets a day before the event.

i have bought tickets way beforehand.

all kinds of crazy obstacles have been overcome as well as periods of smooth sailing, and everything in between.

plan all you like, but shit happens....it ALWAYS happens....especially on the way to, or coming from or while at Burning Man.

this is a fucking adventure, it really is....it's like Indiana Jones on mushrooms.

it's really a state of mind, and in this state of mind, you can do anything, and deal with anything...

The Playasphere™ extends past the confines of black rock and exists inside of you.

you are dust.

be the dust.

also, don't forget to buy indian tacos on the way in, they are delicious.
Frida Be You & Me

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:40 am

What Simon said!

This is the year I stop for tacos.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:45 am

Just a potentially silly thought from a systems programmer with 30 years experience....

Instead of requiring everyone to race for the line to see IF they can get a ticket,.....

Why not use the BM profiles and send out invitations ordered by the creation date of the profile (oldest first)? The invitations would be done in groups. For the sake of discussion, say 500 invites sent with each one having a unique code. Give the primary invitee 72 hours to enter the code, the ticket count, and vehicle pass option into his/her profile.

Repeat until the count reaches the maximum number of tickets. Then start sending out invites to the rest of the profiles for a chance in the reserved pool. The reserved pool would be used to supplement the codes not used by the primary invitee.

Example: 500 codes sent to primary invitees. Only 300 use the code. The 200 open slots are then pulled in from the reserved invitee list. If only 100 respond, then the next 100 are pulled in from the reserved list.

Repeat until all tickets are accounted for.

It's a rough draft, I think it would be fair and would put less strain on the resources as well.
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

Return to “Tickets Discussion”